Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » should I buy it (ke70)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
colibri
Newcomer

September 2005
should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 08:26 Go to next message
hello everybody I'm new to toymods but not enw to forums I'm 14 turning 15 in october and came here seeking advice regarding me purchasing this ke70 corolla.
I went and ahd a look today and their is quite abit of rust on the bottom of the passanger side door, both back wheel arches a tiny bit on the boot also near the badge and the paint is starting to peel. I can't decide if I should go for it and offer $300 or find another manual ke70 and pay around 2grand with rego. I cant pick why the engine wont start the battery is dead so we tried to jump start it and the engine made an RR RR RR RR RR RR RR sound as the pulleys tried to make their way around without stopping...I'm oretty sure this kind of noise is trying to tell me there is some internal damge to the engine which dosn't worry me as I'd love a 4age slipped under the bonnet. I'm more worried about how much the body work will cost so if somebody can give me just a estimate price the panals would cost that would be awesome. I know it will eb ahrd without actually seeing the car but the rust is pretty deep in places...i'd need new doors and arches the other rust should be able to be cut away with ease. other than that the car looks pretty straight forward with no dints from little prangs etc etc. Tell me what you think and if i should go for it becuase I just cant decide.

Jameshttp://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2529124&current_r ec=3&used_rec=0&total_rec=4&sort_type= &total_rec=4&sort_type=&keyword=KE70&a mp;state_id=7&search_postcode=3116&search_ distance=25

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 08:28]

Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2000? you can pick up a good cond manual ke70 for much less, i didnt read all your post its huge Razz.. but what do u want with a car at 15

dont buy a shitbox car, buy something in atleast half decent condition
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70 are prone to rust, just like sprinters... no point in getting a rego ke70 for 2k if u cant even use it until u get ur L's... i guess it would make a good base for a 4age conversion, or try the trading post for best results!

for 2k i would atleast buy a ae71 or ae86 or ae82 twincam

offer him $200 - u can get door for like $50 at pick a part
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude... I've found that when buying a second hand car you should look at the body condition first then look at the mechanicals. The reason: bodywork and rust costs a FARKEN SHITELOAD to repair in comparison to mechanical work. eg: a good respray for a car could easily set you back $3000 when for that kind of money you could buy multiple 4AGE's.

I steer clear of anything with rust... for every bit you see there'll be three times as much that you don't see.

Don't think that $300 is cheap if the car has problems, it gets very expensive for every problem that "you" have to fix. eg: If you buy a car where other people have fixed problems they lose and you win, because for every dollar they spend on their car they can generally only recoup a maximum of 50c when they sell it.

If anyone disagrees with the above comments don't hesitate to chime in. It's just my opinion.

colibri
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh after seeing it i am probly going to steer away from it save up some more money and pick on up early next year.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought one today with rego for $250. I was stocked.
I went to Sydney on the weekend to chase one in the trading post and it was sold before i got there. It was dearer than this one and not as good. It was fate i tells ya! Its was outside my work with a sign on it. Its runs great and just needs a lil tiddy up. I have a 4age i can use for it later too.
Its the XX one with the tacho and 5 speed gbox. Just bought it so i can take my Ae86 off the road and have it as a track car only.
So i say buy it. There great cars
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 21:09

So i say buy it. There great cars

I think what you mean is "buy one, perhaps not this one... they're great cars."
colibri
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cheapest one with rego in melbourne i've seen is 750 how did you score that good deal Shocked awesome buy. I wont be getting this one Wink
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prices often vary from state to state and then there's the case of being at the right place at the right time to score a bargain.

You often hear about "bargain" buys when they happen but rarely hear the stories of all the subsequent repairs that are needed shortly down the track. I know i was stoked about the purchase of my second car "really cheap" with RWC and told all my mates. Then 6 months down the track i find that the RWC was utter bullshit and that the whole front end was way out of square. I didn't go telling everyone that this "really cheap" car was basically a right-off. Wink

I'm explaining what i went through as a youngster buying cars in an effort to prevent you from making similar mistakes. Money doesn't come easily when you're young and i know i've wasted a lot with hasty decisions and misguided logic.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: should I buy it (ke70) Mon, 05 September 2005 11:42 Go to previous message
well there hard to find a good one these days, most of em are rusted or busted
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[VIC] Spraying Bodykit/Panels
Next Topic:Vehicle Inspection in NSW
Goto Forum: