Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember cheating at Dawn Raider, by going into DOS, copying the level 1 data file over 11 times and renaming it as each level 1-11 and putting it back into the program folder..

then i did level 1, 11 times over, had the kickarse plane with all the best weapons and just breezed it through the final level.. haha.. Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha reminds me of what i did with a stip poker game i had back when i was still shootin' yellow Laughing
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i completely forgot about Total Annihalation!! That was another sweet real time strat. game!!
Never got into the wingcommander thing... just didnt do it for me. Too dull a game.

A10 Tank Killer was the first "3d" flight sim i ever played, back on the 486 DX33 Smile that was fun.

Im still recommending that SupraPete has an "abondonwares" LAN night at his shop Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a game called war eagles it was pretty cool for its age, anyone have F-19 stealth fighter Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:42

i completely forgot about Total Annihalation!! That was another sweet real time strat. game!!
Never got into the wingcommander thing... just didnt do it for me. Too dull a game.

A10 Tank Killer was the first "3d" flight sim i ever played, back on the 486 DX33 Smile that was fun.

Im still recommending that SupraPete has an "abondonwares" LAN night at his shop Razz

Oh my god! A friend of mine let me play A10 at his place. Man that game was cool.

My favorite old time flight sim has to be Battle for Britan, by Lucasfilm. Yep, that's right, Lucasfilm. This was before they became Lucasarts. Smile I loved shooting down those damned German BF109s, and taking on Spitfires in my BF109. Smile you could fly all the way across the chanel! I was great!

As for Wing Commander being dull, I don't think you're talking about Armada. Yes the rest of them where kinda lame...but Armada rocked! I used to play it against my brother (as per usual). We'd play the Armada mode head to head. Was great fun trying to blow eachother up and claim dominance of the universe!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My memories of DOS-era LAN gaming:
- 3 hours to set up the LAN
- 30 minutes of gaming
- by now you're too drunk to play any more.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:53

- 30 minutes of gaming

LOL I was too younge for alchohol. So for me it was 3 hours set up, 30 minutes play, get bored and watch a video, or go to bed.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if you play games like Total Annihilation, C&C (original), duke3D etc etc which borderline on being oldschool then setting up the LAN aint so hard.

They also all provide several hours of entertainment. Especially C&C or TA, where you can impose "30 minute treaty" rules and have massive all out attacks when the buzzer goes Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:53

- 30 minutes of gaming

The DOS era wasn't LANing it was using a 320 board modem to play

Formula 1 GP! We played Monaco for hours!

.. I'm up for an abondonwares night at the shop.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is STILL an awesome game, I've got it on my laptop and play it at work sometimes. It runs in a 640x480 window and can be hidden well (with dual screens).

Other cool games:

War at Sea, War on Land (cga brilliant. I wanted to port these to a mobile phone, but got half way through writing it and moved on)
Adventure
Digger
*Civilization*
*Colonization* (again, got this still on my laptop, unfortunately can't get it in a window mode)
Pirates
Castles (played this on an '86 and it took ages to build 1 wall, was devastating when it got knocked down by the enemy)
Diablo (have diablo II expansion at the shop! We played the first eppisode last lock in with 8 players)

Loved Total Annhialation. There was another one same time ... building with resources instead of nanobots. Can't remember which now - "Ricter 7.5"

Sim ant was great, but after completing it once it was too easy the next time. Sim farm was great, theres a "cheat" where you can use water mains instead of fencing, and also keep all your animals inside ALL of the time, so they don't die and get nice and plump quicker than outside.

Edit: fixed names and found some links

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 07:02]

Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fury 3 one of the very few decent games microsoft have brought out

i even spent $30 on the strategy guide Laughing
looks like im gonna go over my cap downloading all of these games off of the-underdogs

rocket jockey
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/2/35752/rockjock_screen004.jpg

Fury 3
http://www.scn.org/~bh623/furyscr.htm
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how could we forget the greats like ET's rugby league Shocked
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My first game that was colour:

Tapper

My dad would sit there and watch me (age 4) serve beer to lots of thirsty dwarves!
WaLLLY
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:04

how could we forget the greats like ET's rugby league Shocked

OMG!#!@ this game was the shit, i loved it!! I actually played it recently to see if it still worked, as i found the floppy disk it was on!!

Loved that game Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 16:42

There were plenty of DOS games that had LAN support, and I participated in many of them in my early uni days. It wasn't very common though; LAN hardware was expensive and cumbersome (no-one could afford a hub, you had to use coax), plus it was bloody hard to get working in the first place. Setting up IPX drivers to run on DOS and still leave enough conventional memory for your game of choice was an exercise in major frustration, and this is after you've fiddled with IRQ and DMA settings so your LAN card co-exists with the sound card et al. Mad
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the lucasarts fans (like me), download an app called SCUMMVM. all the old Lucasarts games used to run on the SCUMM engine, so all the old favs play on that. Maniac Mansion, Day of the tentacle, Zac Mcracken, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Loom, Indy Jones, so many more!! etc.

Also all the old police quest (Sonny Bonds) and space quest (Roger Wilco) games are avilable also via abandonware. I was a fan of those.
Sim farm was the shiz!!

For those that can remeber Space Ace, you can actually buy this on DVD and play it on your DVD player!

Summer games was awesome too, but I could never work out high jump?!?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:31

There were plenty of DOS games that had LAN support, and I participated in many of them in my early uni days. It wasn't very common though; LAN hardware was expensive and cumbersome (no-one could afford a hub, you had to use coax), plus it was bloody hard to get working in the first place. Setting up IPX drivers to run on DOS and still leave enough conventional memory for your game of choice was an exercise in major frustration, and this is after you've fiddled with IRQ and DMA settings so your LAN card co-exists with the sound card et al. Mad

LOL. I remember dad working for 4 days (solid prettymuch) trying to get it all set up. Then once it was set up, we had to spend about and hour getting each game set up, then 15mins each time we wanted to play just messing with stuff.

There are some good things about modern computers. Although the ease of use means a lot more idiots use them now.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to play adrenix, which, although it isnt as old school as lemmings and wolfenstein, rocked on the multiplayer.

sim city on the other hand is giving me the shits, how are you meant to build a city with 20k?

its annoying me Confused

Eldar.O.
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 07:47

piggy, you gronk..... *shakes head*
you are thinking of Red Alert.

The Timeline of Real Time Strategy Games was:
1. Dune 2 (and super dune 2)
2. Command & Conquer
3. Red Alert
4. Tiberian Sun
5. Red Alert 2
6. Dune 2000 (i think it was called that, was full-on 3D)

Well i found the stash, and remembered how to make them all play on WinXP. Teh Witzl iz teh WInn!!

oops my bad Embarassed

i use to play alot of xwing and warcraft 1 and warcraft 2 i use to play warcraft to on the good old 486 Razz also any one ever play wolfenstein (sp?) 3d??? i clocked that game sooooooo many times i liked the boss that use to shoot the needles
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...it was more fun shooting down the Commander Keen's on the gallows! w00t Apogee! Very Happy

(edit: wait im thinking Duke Nukem.. my bad)

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 09:05]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The original X wing ( + expansions ) and transport tycoon/sim city were my up bringing ..

I Still love Xwing and the deathstar trench run .. Pity vaders Advanced tie has unlimited shields - can never blow him up no matter how good you can chase and continue to ping his Sith Ass.

Stripping the Death stars " surface " of all things blow up-able was also possible - just took ages !
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2. Command & Conquer
3. Red Alert
4. Dune 2000
5. Tiberian Sun
6. Red Alert 2
7. Empire Battle for Dune (i think it was called that, was full-on 3D)
8. Generals

Well i found the stash, and remembered how to make them all play on WinXP. Teh Witzl iz teh WInn!!

Fixed Razz
Empire battle for dune = Hektic!!! any1 got a copy Rolling Eyes
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:31

the funniest thing being when you are nearly finished setting up your coax network and then you realise someone's lost one of the FKING TERMINATORS Laughing Laughing Laughing

no lan for joo!

oh and its good to see there's a few toymodders into the oldschool.

glad to hear TA is still popular amongst people other than myself! dont get me wrong, i love new games, hooked on BF2 at the moment, but old is gold!

TA > *

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL goddamn terminators! If you didn't lose them they'd go dud for no apparent reason. I used to take a dozen of the bastards just in case. Laughing

X-Wing rocked! I actually bought the follow-up, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. Still have it here in its original packaging! Not sure if it will work on XP, I'll have to try it some time. Was great to play multiplayer, you could either go head-to-head or play missions cooperatively. Heaps of different craft in the later version, could either fly for the rebels or the empire.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 21:42

LOL goddamn terminators! If you didn't lose them they'd go dud for no apparent reason. I used to take a dozen of the bastards just in case. Laughing

X-Wing rocked! I actually bought the follow-up, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. Still have it here in its original packaging! Not sure if it will work on XP, I'll have to try it some time. Was great to play multiplayer, you could either go head-to-head or play missions cooperatively. Heaps of different craft in the later version, could either fly for the rebels or the empire.

Dad used to work fixing computers and networks. He actualy had a terminator on his keychain, just in case he ran out in his repair kit (which he did once). Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 21:42

The physics in those games and the missions were brilliant! Just the setting up and chosing a mission was like it was written by someone that only had an atari keypad.

I loved shunting the shields around and getting the recharge up when not in battle, etc. Was the first game that USED a shirtload of keys
xxxplosive
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 12:15

i had simcity 2000 once. it was like 7mb... homeoftheunderdogs

simcity 3000 was good but simcity4 = killer! so is the sims2, make group sex network around the whole town Rolling Eyes

lol dam computer generated sex... so untruthful...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
X-Wing and TIE Fighter where two of my favorite games back in the day. I loved the "sim" feel of them. Yeah, shunting around the shields was cool fun! Having that much controll. I loved the way the different fighters had different characteristics in X-Wing, something TIE Fighter sorely lacked.

The Y-Wing was your long range fighter bomber. I could pick off TIE fighters at EXTREME range with my twin linked laser cannons 'cuz they where in the nose of the fighter. So close together and so accurate. But in a dogfight, it's slow speed and bad manuverability just made it die.

The A-Wing was obviously king of high velocity and dogfights. If it got in a frey it couldn't deal with (which was rare), you just stacked on the throttle and you could outrun anything the empire could throw at you, and then come back for another pass. But it wasn't much chop against capital ships.

The X-Wing was the all rounder. Half way between an A-Wing and an Y-Wing, but with the most laser firepower of either of them. Although the cannons being on the wings made it inacurate at range. I found it a lot harder to use than the A-Wing. The X-Wing was all about getting close and dirty, but still capable of taking out larger craft and small Capital Ships.

In TIE Fighter though, it was just TIE Bomber which is worse than the TIE Fighter, which is worse than TIE Interceptor, which is worse than the Gunboat, which is worse than TIE Adavanced, which is worse than the Missile Boat, which is worse than the TIE Defender.

Sure the TIE Bomber usualy carried more bombs, but only usualy.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xxxplosive wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 19:52

rthy wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 12:15

i had simcity 2000 once. it was like 7mb... homeoftheunderdogs

simcity 3000 was good but simcity4 = killer! so is the sims2, make group sex network around the whole town Rolling Eyes

lol dam computer generated sex... so untruthful...

speaking of,

LEISURE SUIT LARRY!

Eldar.O.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,
i think the other version of TA you are thinking of is TA - Kingdoms. Never played Kingdoms though, only TA... I have both Smile
I think your abandonwares games night MUST include TA, else i will cry like Nancy Kerrigan.

Rthy,
Yeah thanks, Emperor battle for Dune IS hektik! Try finishing all houses... damn. Im sure i have it around here somewhere, my Dad bought it for me in Vietnam Razz
Damn does it chew the video memory though for a game of its age.

I never got into X wing and TIE fighter, dunno why. I think i was too hooked on the other games...

Commander Keen was also tops for an early platformer.

Toymodders - i command you to dig up your abandonwares games and begin the ultimate collection!! **legally of course, no pirating! yarrr!!
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*cough* server space *cough*

*cough* oldskoolwarez.toymods.org.au *cough*

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
screw the intrawebnet... CD collections!!
that way only the elitest of the leet can get their grubby hands on our spoils!
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 00:13

Rthy,
Yeah thanks, Emperor battle for Dune IS hektik! Try finishing all houses... damn. Im sure i have it around here somewhere, my Dad bought it for me in Vietnam Razz
Damn does it chew the video memory though for a game of its age.

I never got into X wing and TIE fighter, dunno why. I think i was too hooked on the other games...

Toymodders - i command you to dig up your abandonwares games and begin the ultimate collection!! **legally of course, no pirating! yarrr!!

what you never finished emperor battle for dune???? Shocked it was alright not as good as dune 2000 but multiplayer on emperor battle for dune was great!!!

another game from the old day star wars rebelion anyone remember that game ??????
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i finished emperor, except for one house from memory... i ended up getting the shits thanks to my p1ssw34k PC making the game slow.

im SOOOOOOO playing TA this afternoon at work!!! *runs into the CD "box of mystery" to find TA*
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Sim City Wed, 07 September 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 07:56

no
im SOOOOOOO playing TA this afternoon at work!!! *runs into the CD "box of mystery" to find TA*

Rolling Eyes Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you there to WORK? Laughing
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Sim City Thu, 08 September 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found the hardest dune game was dune 2 (because i was a kid) doing the ordos i think it was one of the last levels when you were against atradies (sp?) and they were above and below you i had to restart that level so many times to finally finish it
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Sim City Fri, 09 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got a copy of broken sword 2?
oh and...

THE MONKEY ISLAND SERIES!!!
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Sim City Fri, 09 September 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
empire battle for dune is like the best and last real "westwood game"... i love it so.... i wish i had a copy. (original Rolling Eyes )...

that xwing game on mac was mad...
Blade Runner was alright
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sim City Fri, 09 September 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teh witzl has monkey island 1 & 2, after that they went ghey.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Sim City Fri, 09 September 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found one of my old abandon cd's the other day with the ever so wonderful Gumboots Australia on it Very Happy (4kb)
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Sim City Sat, 10 September 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2. Command & Conquer
3. Red Alert
4. Tiberian Sun
5. Red Alert 2
6. Dune 2000 (i think it was called that, was full-on 3D)

Dont forget Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Dark Reign, Total Annihilation... all good games around that era Wink

as for Sim City... SC2000 rox0rs the bigone.. As far as management/building games went. The big ones for me were;

1. Transport Tycoon Deluxe (I spent the most time on this).
2. Theme Park (first day I got it I played it 8hours straight)
3. SC2000. Yeah it rocked.
4. Theme Hospital
5. SimTower (so simplistic, yet so addictive)

I never played sc3000, but I currently have Sim City 4... but its off the net and freezes after a few hours of play. Its good but I dont know if im just over it after playing all these other games in the past too much. heh.
Big Don
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Sim City Sat, 10 September 2005 01:30 Go to previous message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sat, 10 September 2005 01:30]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Annoying Virus
Next Topic:Jus a question ***MODS PLEAE DELETE***
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:11:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011298894882202 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.