Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 04:18 Go to next message
Hi,

Well, here I am again, you're roving, intrepid Toymodder who has planted himself into the City of Churches.

Here's a few things I have noticed so far in my short time in this salubrious city....

Sport
They have AFL, AFL and more AFL. I fear than when the AFL season is over that 3 radio stations, 2 newspapers and 1 TV station will have to close down 'cos they'd have nothing to report. There are 2 teams over here - The Crows and Port. It seems that supporters do not like each other. However, there appears to be a general dislike for Mebournian teams. Well, actually I just think that, in general, Adelaidians don't like much about Melbourne.

Traffic
Still looking around to see a traffic jam. One day, in the evening peak 5-minutes I saw some cars stop for a few seconds before moving on. I love the roads over here and the few (compared to Sydney) cars. However, not many drivers seem to understand how roundabouts work, moreso than Syndey drivers. Over here they go through the speed humps so quick that you often hear the car scrape and complain. I find this amusing. Zebra crossings seem to mean nothing to the average Adelaidian driver and their use of the indicator when turning is almost non-existent.

Shops
The shops are pretty good - when you can find them. The shops in the city are quite good and they have a lot of boutique shops as opposed to chains of similar shops all selling the same stuff.

Public Transport
I have only been on the buses and they run well and seem pretty clean. I've taken about a dozen trips on the same bus and have yet to pay the same fare. I think the driver makes it up as he goes. But I can't complain, the prices are pretty reasonable and the service actually arrives and departs on schedule.

Sharks
Sharks are a big thing over here. So big in fact that when someone gets eaten by a shark it can get to the 2nd page of the newspaper (after the AFL stories of course). I've been told that being in Dulwich, which is some few kays from the beach, has yet to experience a shark attack and therefore I regard myself as relatively safe. I do dip my hat to the ballsy swimmers over here who continue to swim at the local beachs without a shark net, even though the area is renowned for being "Great White" territory.

Cars
Hehehehehe. A few nice cars, but a lot of older shitboxes. I seem to see a lot of older Honda Civics - and I'm talking about the real old ones that were cute and had the metal bumpers.

Hoons
Quite a few around. The thing that gets me is when these boofheads rev their engines, play loud doof-doof, scream the tyres or let their pop-off blow loudly, everyone nearby looks at them with a semi-impressed expression. In Sydney you just shake your head and laugh at these clowns or don't even bother to look at them. I think that over time the locals will adopt the same nonchalance.

Goths
Marvellous stuff! They gather and congregate around Rundle St Mall and I think that's grand. We used to have large numbers of milling Goths in Sydney about ten years ago. I'm not sure if the plethora of Goths over here is 'cos Adleiade is sorta ten years behind in this thing, or if Adelaide is still small enough to allow easy transport so the Goths can gather in one place.

Houses
I love the local houses and their gardens. There's some really, really cool and big old places that look fantastic. I'd like to own such a house. Their gardens are usually well kept with lots of bushes and trees and heaps of great birds. I haven't seen a Willy Wagtail in Sydney for years, but they're over here and gee I like them. Most houses seem to have a carport and use the garage as a workshop.

Churches
Crikey, Mother of God, they do have a lot of churches around here. It takes me 12 minutes to walk to work and I pass 6 of the mothers! I can't say they're nice looking churches where I am. Blandish buildings with the occasional stain-glass window. I got to go elsewhere to check out the more grand cathedrals. Mind you, the local churches ring their bells on Sunday and I find this rather quaint and satisfying. For those that watch WWE Smackdown, one of the bells a sounds like the Undertaker's bells and I get a smile out of that. Also, the churches in my area are never packed - nor are their car parks. I suppose that's what happens when you have so many churches that each congregation will be relatively small.

Well, that's enough racontering (spell) from me. I'll be back in Sydney this weekend to get my fill of NRL and to annoy the bejesus out of the family.

seeyuzz
river

Send a private message to this user    
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guess what river, im moving down there next year Laughing
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so hows the job?

i hear your working on a top secret project of putting a turbo and BOV onto Babbage's difference engine. is that true?

Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adelaidian's have a hate of melbournians ever since they stole their grandprix.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:32

so hows the job?
i hear your working on a top secret project of putting a turbo and BOV onto Babbage's difference engine. is that true? Laughing

Yes, but it's supposed to be top secret and now you've just let all the people in the forums see it!!! Rolling Eyes

The Babbage engine is very new over here and is becoming an integral part of their computing work. As I walk down the street I see abacasus being thrown out into the gutter.

There's also the whisper of some dang-fangled thing called electricity that is supposed to revolutionise how we do things over here. Meh... I think it's all talk and it won't replace the Babbage engine, and certaibnly won't displace the AFL from the headline news. Smile

Bubbles.... you'll be as happy as a fly on dog shit with all these churchs and their pretty young altar boys Wink

Corona... it's a Melbourne thing. Everyone (Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Wagga Wagga) seem to hate the place! I often ponder this and ask myself "Why is this so?"

seeyuzz
river
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

river wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:35

Bubbles.... you'll be as happy as a fly on dog shit with all these churchs and their pretty young altar boys Wink

LOL

glad too see you are enjoying adelaide river is the GT here yet?
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Sport
They have AFL, AFL and more AFL. I fear than when the AFL season is over that 3 radio stations, 2 newspapers and 1 TV station will have to close down 'cos they'd have nothing to report. There are 2 teams over here - The Crows and Port. It seems that supporters do not like each other. However, there appears to be a general dislike for Mebournian teams. Well, actually I just think that, in general, Adelaidians don't like much about Melbourne.

wait till the crows win the grand final this year and you'll see something youve never seen before..

back in 97/98 on both years the city went from dead quiet on a saturday arvo, to at least 100,000 people screaming and chanting and yelling in victory celebrations within the space of half an hour! burnouts on rundle street under a massive crows scarf stretched across the road.. everything! the cops were doin burnouts too! it was super! (gross misappropriation of taxpayer dollars i think, but least they werent there to serve and defect!)

Quote:

Traffic
Still looking around to see a traffic jam. One day, in the evening peak 5-minutes I saw some cars stop for a few seconds before moving on. I love the roads over here and the few (compared to Sydney) cars. However, not many drivers seem to understand how roundabouts work, moreso than Syndey drivers. Over here they go through the speed humps so quick that you often hear the car scrape and complain. I find this amusing. Zebra crossings seem to mean nothing to the average Adelaidian driver and their use of the indicator when turning is almost non-existent.

refer to my above comment regarding crows winning the grand final.. then youll have the western distributor on a friday afternoon x 100

Quote:

Cars
Hehehehehe. A few nice cars, but a lot of older shitboxes. I seem to see a lot of older Honda Civics - and I'm talking about the real old ones that were cute and had the metal bumpers.

i seem to remember adelaide being pretty rotary mad.. usually the meets/cruises used to start around the Rocca Bros Thebarton carpark on friday nights/saturday nights.. If you get a chance head on down to a Small Car Sunday (if thats still on..) when its comes around, that usually brings out about 400 of adelaides finest. I remember a lot of RX3's and RX2's from back when i was there..

Quote:

Hoons
Quite a few around. The thing that gets me is when these boofheads rev their engines, play loud doof-doof, scream the tyres or let their pop-off blow loudly, everyone nearby looks at them with a semi-impressed expression. In Sydney you just shake your head and laugh at these clowns or don't even bother to look at them. I think that over time the locals will adopt the same nonchalance.

Stay away from Heaven II an the Planetarium and this problem should not affect you much Smile Oh and Glenelg on a Saturday.

Quote:

Houses
I love the local houses and their gardens. There's some really, really cool and big old places that look fantastic. I'd like to own such a house. Their gardens are usually well kept with lots of bushes and trees and heaps of great birds. I haven't seen a Willy Wagtail in Sydney for years, but they're over here and gee I like them. Most houses seem to have a carport and use the garage as a workshop.

my sentiments exactly. take a drive down Queen Victoria Avenue near Cumberland Park.. thats where im goanna live one day! Very Happy

Quote:

Churches
Crikey, Mother of God, they do have a lot of churches around here. It takes me 12 minutes to walk to work and I pass 6 of the mothers! I can't say they're nice looking churches where I am. Blandish buildings with the occasional stain-glass window. I got to go elsewhere to check out the more grand cathedrals. Mind you, the local churches ring their bells on Sunday and I find this rather quaint and satisfying. For those that watch WWE Smackdown, one of the bells a sounds like the Undertaker's bells and I get a smile out of that. Also, the churches in my area are never packed - nor are their car parks. I suppose that's what happens when you have so many churches that each congregation will be relatively small.

funnily enough, yes adelaide is the city of churches, but they dont specify WHICH churches. for reference sake, adelaide is also the centre of the Church of Satan in australia as well, which probably relates to the comments about the Goths above Smile (i am yet to see a good christian goth..)

Culture.. you gotta love it Smile Have you had your first Pie Floater yet? Laughing
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well I hope it's a Sydney/Adelaide AFL Grand Final. I prefer Sydney to win but hey, if the Crows win then I'll get a chance to see this sleepy cool city drop its pants for an evening. Should be good fun.

The GT ain't over here and it won't be until I get a place with a lock-up garage. Mind you though, I'd love to have it over here. It'd be way cool cruising around in it on a Friday and Saturday past all the curbside diners etc. Most people won't know what it is, except its old and cool - just like it's driver! Smile

I did see an RA23 the other day going down Fullarton Rd (Dulwich). It was black or very dark brown. And saw what looked like a TA22 (only got a distant view of the rear) that was going into a carp park in the city a couple of weekends ago. It was yellow and had a brownish vinyl top. I've seen the model after the RA40. I forget the model (RA60?) but it looks like the RA40 but with square headlights. It was a golden coloured sedan.

Other than that the only Celicas are the ugly wedge shape and the FWD ones - but I haven't seen the latest model around yet.

I wanna buy an old powder blue Civic with chrome bumper bars. I'd throw it into the mean Adelaide melee of traffic everyday with a care, but I'd only drive the '25 on weekends.

seeyuzz
river
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you knew anything about the grand prix you would know that adelaide was mansells, hill and sennas favourite track.
who likes the track in melbourne?????? anyone??????????

dont try and fight it the track is a shit hard to pass on as monarco it SUUUUUcks.

and at least we use our indiactors to turn in SA and whats all this shit about ding Uturns at intersections. as if thats the safest thing ever thought up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .

cheers
matt
Smile
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

customSA63 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 16:44

and at least we use our indiactors to turn in SA cheers
matt Smile

Rubbish! Laughing

I've been watching the locals around the streets where I work and live and I can assure you that the indicator is rarely used. When it is used it is often after they've started to turn.

Maybe in Adelaide the indicator isn't so much to say "this is where I'm turning" but to say "this is where I have turned". It's sort of like a historical marker Smile

seeyuzz
river
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GOLDEN Laughing
ill agree with you now but on the F1 topic you cant say Melbourne is a better track.
its all polotics and dolllars and cents.

cheers
matt
Smile
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:05

Hi,

rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:32

so hows the job?
i hear your working on a top secret project of putting a turbo and BOV onto Babbage's difference engine. is that true? Laughing

I know, I know. I wosto live there. I dont care about churchs, most of them are historical, but its a nice place to live, my best time of youth was at adelaid.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:43

I know, I know. I wosto live there. I dont care about churchs, most of them are historical, but its a nice place to live, my best time of youth was at adelaid.

funny how the best times of your youth were also the best times for morale in the catholic church in sa..

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 08:01]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:18

Traffic

thats because they are all stoned...

either too stoned to drive (and hence no traffic jams), when they do, they hit things.... roundabouts, speedhumps, people..

budump budump.. what was that?? i dunno maaaan, just keep drivin...

and whats with the people parking anywahere and talking up half the road, so everyone has to swerve in and out of traffic as a normal occurrence??
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 18:00

bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:43

funny how the best times of your youth were also the best times for morale in the catholic church in sa..

not me. When was the last time i have been in a church, oh thats right, never.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:42

river wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:18

Traffic

thats because they are all stoned...

either too stoned to drive (and hence no traffic jams), when they do, they hit things.... roundabouts, speedhumps, people..

budump budump.. what was that?? i dunno maaaan, just keep drivin...

and whats with the people parking anywahere and talking up half the road, so everyone has to swerve in and out of traffic as a normal occurrence??

congratulations captain generalisation...Rolling Eyes

just becuase we have the best weed in the country doesnt mean we all smoke it goddamnit
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
settle grettle.. just kidding Wink

i was just generalising based on my experiences with adelaide drivers also.....

and why do ppl park halfway into a lane???
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The Adelaide Journal Wed, 07 September 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river if you see a silver R32 GTR with white wheels thats me!

(i live in dulwich too so its reasonably likley)

your right about indicators tho, i indicate as i am turning to prevent a fine if anyone is watching, flick it as my hand goes past to turn the wheel, and flick it off when i straighten up again. the only time i will indicate early is if there is someone behind me that may be affected to give them a chance to change lanes/slow down.

EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: The Adelaide Journal Thu, 08 September 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are people here that dont smoke weed!?! Rolling Eyes

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Thu, 08 September 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

They must be the few who use their indicators properly. So, I'm gonna start yelling out "stoner" to all the others. Very Happy

seeyuzz
river
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Fri, 09 September 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Fess up! Who owns the beaten up blue RA28 in Adelaide, with FB-XXX number plates. Bumpers are painted blue and the front bumper has copped a smack.

Anyone here?

seeyuzz
river
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Fri, 09 September 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey River, what car do you drive?
If i spot ya I'll give a shout! Wink
and cut in front of you without indicating within the vacinity of a church, where goths can see and others can give me approving looks as i rev my hoon car's engine.

so what car do you drive?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Sat, 10 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO THE CROWS Razz
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Adelaide Journal Sat, 10 September 2005 12:31 Go to previous message
Hi,

So they won, eh? That'll make a lot of the people at work happy - most of them are Crows supporters.

Cronulla lost to the Saints in the NRL. Bummer, 'cos I hate the Saints. I now hope the Tigers win.

In reference to "waht car I drive"... it's an RA25. It's not in Adelaide. However, if SA ever get there Toyota Car Show up and running, with a definitive date, then I'll probably bring it over.

Hey, what's with the news readers in Adelaide. They're all old and unattractive people. Don't you have any lookers for these shows - and that includes the old bird that hosts Today Tonight. She's not a patch on Naomi Robson, and probably doesn't swear like her too! And, those two old poofs that do the CH9 news. What's the go there?

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:transformers
Next Topic:what car is this? Looks a bit like a sprinter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:11:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050690174102783 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.