Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Oil cooler setups?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Oil cooler setups? Sun, 11 September 2005 10:02 Go to next message
I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup an oil cooler setup. ATM, i have the stock 4age oil cooler setup which is a low pressure system that diverts via a therostatic plate attached to the block and then back to sump.

There is the option of including a remote filter setup so it'll look something like this:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4614/oilcoolersetup3ae.th.png

The problem i have with both the factory setup and this high pressure one is that when the thermo opens, the oil bypasses the filter meaning you're just recirculating potentially dirty oil.

I was hoping to use one of these:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6421/thermo11uu.th.jpg

To setup something along the lines of this:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4948/cooleroiledited4wq.th.jpg

This way the oil will ALWAYS go through the filter 1st. Am i just being paranoid about the filter thing? I just don't like the idea of running unfiltered oil through my engine.

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil cooler setups? Sun, 11 September 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be doing mine as pictured in your last diagram there.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems like the fix ... always filtered regardless of thermatic bypass.

who does such a kit if i may ask?

Cheers

Nathan
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not too sure if anyone actually does this in a full kit... i just made the setup through the research i did about oil coolers. I'm sure there would be someone that makes one like this though. My plan is to buy the stuff separately because i already have things like an oil cooler plate.

Eddie.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My thought is to get a proper aftermarket oil cooler that will cope with full flow and just run full flow to both filter and cooler. If it runs too cold in daily driving then just tape a piece of cardboard to the cooler to reduce airflow. Then take it off at the track.

An oil temp sensor is a good investment at this stage too as too cold oil is also bad.

Hen
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 20:57

My thought is to get a proper aftermarket oil cooler that will cope with full flow and just run full flow to both filter and cooler. If it runs too cold in daily driving then just tape a piece of cardboard to the cooler to reduce airflow. Then take it off at the track.

An oil temp sensor is a good investment at this stage too as too cold oil is also bad.

Hen

This is what i've done, and it works quite well.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 20:42

I'm not too sure if anyone actually does this in a full kit... i just made the setup through the research i did about oil coolers. I'm sure there would be someone that makes one like this though. My plan is to buy the stuff separately because i already have things like an oil cooler plate.

Eddie.

both Mocal and Permacool make nice thermostats..

i'll likely do that setup also.. seems noice. just means a bit more hassle when changing oil.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fit a good sized full flow cooler, and if the oil is running too cold, then you're not putting your boot into it enough Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Oil cooler setups? Mon, 12 September 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 00:15

Fit a good sized full flow cooler, and if the oil is running too cold, then you're not putting your boot into it enough Laughing

foot controlled engine oil warming?

"sorry occifer, my oil was getting too cold :P" Laughing Laughing
FullMetal
Regular

November 2004
Re: Oil cooler setups? Tue, 08 November 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not trying to say that Big T is wrong, but is it confirmed that oil bypasses the filter when the thermostat opens? That would seem like a pretty major design flaw to me, especially for a factory setup.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil cooler setups? Tue, 08 November 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran a remote filter & oil cooler setup on my 4AGTE, but without the thermostat. Its not a bad idea though (just its the most expensive part of the setup), as it helps to get the oil temp up quickly by bypassing the core until its needed.

Would there be any disadvantage though to revising that last diagram to put the filter AFTER the cooler & thermostat? Not that its very likely to have any shit come from the cooler, but for me it would be extra peace of mind Smile

All these parts are available from Motorsport Connections in Seven Hills (sydney). They do orders by phone/fax too.

One thing to note (as mrshin mentioned) is that if you go for a full flow cooler setup, you must have a decent aftermarket oil cooler with plenty of flow potential. I did try running a denso core commonly fitted to many jap cars, and it had enough restriction to drop 15psi oil pressure. Bad move Crying or Very Sad

Cheers
Phil
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Oil cooler setups? Fri, 11 November 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you look at http://toymods.org.au/Repository/TechDocs/4age_boo k/lubricationsystem/lu_17.jpg

I am fairly sure that the oil will go to the cooler AFTER the oil filter.
It would be a stupid design if it didn't. I am sure that this system works on pressure, only the oil that passes by the releif valve goes to the cooler, it doesnt work on temp.

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Oil cooler setups? Fri, 11 November 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember that the sump oil comes up the middle and out the ring round the edge. The sandwich place just extends the center pipe.
The releif valve would prob become blocked over time if it was fed unfiltered oil
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Oil cooler setups? Sat, 12 November 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 23:34

I ran a remote filter & oil cooler setup on my 4AGTE, but without the thermostat. Its not a bad idea though (just its the most expensive part of the setup), as it helps to get the oil temp up quickly by bypassing the core until its needed.

Would there be any disadvantage though to revising that last diagram to put the filter AFTER the cooler & thermostat? Not that its very likely to have any shit come from the cooler, but for me it would be extra peace of mind Smile

All these parts are available from Motorsport Connections in Seven Hills (sydney). They do orders by phone/fax too.

One thing to note (as mrshin mentioned) is that if you go for a full flow cooler setup, you must have a decent aftermarket oil cooler with plenty of flow potential. I did try running a denso core commonly fitted to many jap cars, and it had enough restriction to drop 15psi oil pressure. Bad move Crying or Very Sad

Cheers
Phil

Are you trying to say a stock AE92 oil cooler wouldnt be up to task? remember im only using a stock 20v but they are known to get a bit hot on the track at times.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil cooler setups? Sat, 12 November 2005 01:28 Go to previous message
Yep, thats right. The AE92 cooler is only designed to flow the relatively small amount of bypass oil from the relief valve that would normally just go back into the sump, its a low pressure, low flow system. Running your full engine flow & pressure doesn't seem to work so well without a cooler designed for the task.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT safc HELP
Next Topic:engine reconditioning
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:51:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060789585113525 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.