Toymods » The Outhouse » how to make methanol / ethanol and still

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
icon1.gif  how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 14:01 Go to next message
ok so the fuel prices are a risein' me harteys (geting ready for tomorra you lubbers) sot he times acomin' to consider home-made fuel options.

im new to these forums so im not sure if ive got this in the right place but i wanna build a still to make the fore mentioned fuels. any helpful and informative details would be great so please step on up and share with me your wares.

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rn-85 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 00:01

ok so the fuel prices are a risein' me harteys (geting ready for tomorra you lubbers) sot he times acomin' to consider home-made fuel options.

im new to these forums so im not sure if ive got this in the right place but i wanna build a still to make the fore mentioned fuels. any helpful and informative details would be great so please step on up and share with me your wares.

to be honest, you will consume more electrical power than it would cost to buy at at what? $2-3 per litre... by distilling you only get to maybe 85 or 90% alcohol, and after that you ned drying agents to remove the water. as well as all the cooling water for conensing the vapour.

plus... you can ferment up to maybe 15% alcohol..

if you ue 50L of petrol a week, thats 100L of alcohol. = 670L of fermented solution, as long as you have 100% retention of the alcohol.

to ferment and distill 700 litres of brew each week is not reall feasible at home... and it's smell like buggery Razz

but if you are serious, you could start on a small scale with glas istillation gear from a lab supply place...

for bigger stuff,you may want copper or stainless as it has higher heat ransfer properties = faster throughput..

and you might want to check alcohol laws, i think exception may be taken to generating large volumes of alcohol without paying tax.

anyhoo, a few ideas/..
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, some russions i know get about 80% retention rate when distilling up to maybe 60 or 70% alcohol content.... for home consumed vodka of course Razz
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

helpful and informative details

ethane and methane are byproducts of the fractional distillation of crude oil,

crude oil becomes like 80% octane (C8H18, petrol)
then propane(C5H12) butane(C4H10) ethane(C3H8) and methane(C2H6)

anything left over is tar and bitumen

i see three solutions,

one is to ferment yeast (alot of yeast) the distill your crop of alcohol many times , - it needs to be quite pure,

two - buy some petrol and make your own methane/ethane to convert to their alcohol relatives. however this is totally not feasible, the energy that it takes to break a hydrocarbon chain is larger than the collective potential energy of the pieces,

thirdly buy some crude oil, you can look up the price on the stock exchange, and f. distill it yourself

NB: i think it may be illegal to run your own still as they are known to explode to to the volatility of alcohol

NB: volatility refers to a liquid's evaporation rate not its explosiveness

NB: i think it may be illegal to run your own refinery as it would undoubtedly be in violation of the kyoto protocol

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.-- hack into 86tt's computer and steal the secret locations where the CIA is hording the planets growing supply of crude oil. Then sneak in there at night and steal it (dont worry about security, they will be too busy preparing for another phony terrorist attack).
2.-- go home and distil using the energy gained from burning hydrogen which you have electrolised from water.
3.-- ????
4.-- Profit!

PS. dont forget to wrap your head in aluminium foil
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it that the aluminium foil is a security measure. If you can't see them they can't see you.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethanol = Sugar + yeast + water, then distill it to remove the alcohol from the water Smile. I dare say its gonna cost more to produce it then it would be to just buy fuel especially when you count the time involved, let alone the danger of it.

We were distilling ethanol in chemistry and one of the bright sparks in our group decided to put the hose out the window that was running water to cool it down. The hose came off, water was going everywhere and in attempt to reattach the hose the distillation column moved just enough to let some vapours out, the caught alight from the bunsen and there was a large fireball yarr and some broken glass.
There was some ethanol on the roof (about 1.5M) above the bench its amazing no one got hurt.
Was always fun to tip the ethanol on the bench and light it up (fire proof bench).
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no stupid. its to stop them interfering with your brainwaves and turning you into a government controlled sheep who walks around spreading lies such as:
- we are running out of petrol
- the conservation of energy laws are true
- Dorio86 is actually bubbles
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the size of un-regulated brewing and distilling vessels is limited by law - i think once you have more than 20 litre of mash brewing/distilling then you need a permit and you will pay tax (exise? spelling?) on the goods made.

Is why the home brewing/distilling shops tend not to have large stills for sale.

Anyway, methanol/ethanol are hardly the best replacements for petrol? they burn with less efficiency, they have higher output of carbon and CO2 than petrol for the same amount of evergy released, they have high costs of production, they have shorter shelf life, are hydroscopic (plus water will separate in petrol but will mix with ethenol/methanol) so they have greater handling and storage costs and requirements, ...

If you want to make a still - focus on making a decent vodka or scotch. Very Happy

i can help with taste-testing if needed.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did you get that info? distilling is illegal. homebrew kits come with 23L kegs and all mixes say to go to 22/23 litres
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sun, 18 September 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 09:54

where did you get that info? distilling is illegal. homebrew kits come with 23L kegs and all mixes say to go to 22/23 litres

Distilling is not illegal i did it in chemistry at school Razz and it is part of the HSC syllabus to do a prac in it. But yes there is a huge CO2 production in making let alone burning it. Laughing
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
distilling for the purpose of consumption is. surely you never actually drank any of it in high school Wink
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are thinking of large scale distilling then a good place to start would be an old storage type hot water system. These have a large copper water jacket in them that would probably make a great pot. If you're handy with brazing then you could make a nice long copper condensor as well (try and jacket it with something). Voilla - pot still!

As mentioned previously, it's going to take a shitload of time and effort and unless you have a big tank for fermentation, a free source of sugar, abundant space for your still, immunity from prosection (yes distilling is illegal on a largish scale)and some way of removing residual water (like another distillation column and some benzene) then it'll all be in vain.

Biodiesel is probably a better home brewed option (if you're mates with a few fish and chip shop owners). So go get that diesel gemini and start saving the planet!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in Qld the home-brewing shops sell small stills - usually an electric heated pot with a simple water-cooled condensor to separate out the ethanol-laced stuff from water vapour

they usually need 3 passes to get above 50-60% pure.

guy at work here has a kit (makes pretty awful scotch actually) and a brother in-law also has smaller (10 litre) kit.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 00:12]

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is syd tobbaconists sell bongs, hash pipes, sadies, scales etc. but we still can legally smoke pot.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 10:05

distilling for the purpose of consumption is. surely you never actually drank any of it in high school Wink

Well ours kinda got used up in the fire but i'm pretty sure others had a drink when the teacher wasn't looking, mind you we are talking about 80% pure alcohol here. Evil or Very Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 10:05

well, a *smart* person wouldn't drink it. Certain other people just had to see what 1/4 of a shot of pure alcohol tastes like Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 10:14

is syd tobbaconists sell bongs, hash pipes, sadies, scales etc. but we still can't legally smoke pot.

fixed

yup, i get the point - the two dudes that i know have told me that it is legal (in Qld at least) to have a still that has a max capacity of 20 litres of brewing mash (e.g. total volume of the crud you want to distill).
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

any helpful and informative details would be great so please step on up and share with me your wares.

1. Get a company car
2. Who cares about the price of Petrol/LPG/Diesel

Laughing Laughing Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 10:33

any helpful and informative details would be great so please step on up and share with me your wares.

1. Get a company car
2. Who cares about the price of Petrol/LPG/Diesel

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I followed this advice. Works for me!! Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd follow the advice but i can't so i just catch a train to work 37 bucks a week is a lot less than it'd cost in fuel. Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could probably buy ethanol for less that distilling it yourself.

Some mythbusting:
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/factfic_enperf.html

As far as I can tell, 100% ethanol petrol is a BAD idea. Also, 10% is fine in your current engine. You could go up to 85% without much modification (it would need a computer in the car that could tell what fuel level it was at). Suggar cane is where we get ethanol in australia, and it's a bi-product of the production of suggar. The stuff to make ethanol is currently just thrown away.

Ethanol is not a long term solution to the deminishing natural resources or the growing problem of pullution, it's just a stopgap so that our oil doesn't run out before we're on something more effective.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not just stick a bunch of solar panels on your roof, and hook it up to an electrolysis machine, and use that to make hydrogen, and run your car on that Smile
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
running the car directly from the solar panels would be much more efficient.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 17:22

Dude have you seen those solar cars? They're crap.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
current solar technology will not prduce enough current/voltage to power a car sufficiently, nor will it be able to generate hydrogen fast enough by electrolysis for what an engine will consume..

best alternative so far are the regenerating hybrids, and fuel cells will be the next stage...

electrolysis takes a lot of electrical energy to get the hydrogen (effectively how much you get from burning it in the engine Razz) ,,, so you can't just hook up an alternator to the electrolysis device to power a motor to power the alternator.... doesn't work like that Wink
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you'll find at least in nsw you cant brew anything above 23(ish)% legally. ive got a mate that was busted lol Smile

biodiesel would be your best bet. or get a pushy
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 17:31

agreed, but using the little amount of energy they have to produce hydrogen which will burn producing less energy, is even worse.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 19:41

Shraka wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 17:31

agreed, but using the little amount of energy they have to produce hydrogen which will burn producing less energy, is even worse.

That's why you cover your house with solar panels, then make the hydrogen, store it, then put it in your car every night. Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Mon, 19 September 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 22:43

That's why you cover your house with solar panels, then make the hydrogen, store it, then put it in your car every night. Smile

LOL.. if only it were that easy...

the main reason H2 isn't used yet is STORAGE.... it doesn't liquify, leaks thru almost everything (even metal), and is highly flammable in an enclosed space!!!

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure it leaks through metal?
I always thought storage was the main problem. Plus corrosion of the exhaust system etc.

What about storing it using this then:
http://www.amminex.com/index_files/Page344.htm
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you just store it as water in the fuel tank, then split the H2 off the O when you need the hydrogen? Evil or Very Mad
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about roof and bonnet solar panels on a hybrid?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So we already have a nice heavy electric motor and batteries, lets add some more weight with some solar panels and even more cost. Yeah its a good idea but not financially viable would you be willing to pay like $60K for a car the size of the pulsar thats slower than one for the sake of maybe an improvement in fuel economy of 3L per 100kms.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 15:42

Why don't you just store it as water in the fuel tank, then split the H2 off the O when you need the hydrogen? Evil or Very Mad

Because electrolysis is a very slow and energy sapping process so you'd end up creating less energy burning the hydrogen than you have in splitting the Hydrogen from the water molecules
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevtrev wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 16:42

How about roof and bonnet solar panels on a hybrid?

But if you park your car under a tree, all it takes is a flock of roosting pigeons and your fucked!
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id like to see a company create a performance fully electric engine, it would be possible and would more resemble a rotary engine - small low torque, with very high rev range,

energy should be put into the car's batteries each 24hrs and can be supplied by the government through the mains,

i dont think it should be upto the citizens to provide the alternative energy source (from coal),

however there are a number of viable solutions including solar, wind, hydro and geothermal to name a few.

the government is currently getting some of its power for the grid from these 'green' resources, they need to invest more money into these systems before they can take over large scale energy production.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think there should be a govornment incentive to fit solar panels to your house, and a bigger one to fit them to a house you're building. If we could have a few solar panels on each persons roof it'd do all sorts of awesome things for our impact on our environemnt.
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solar is great, its cheap to run, but very expensive to set up

nuclear power?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Tue, 20 September 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paranoid Android wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 18:05

nuclear power?

Heh heh. As long as nobody decides to see how hot it'll get!! Crazy Nucular power plant people!
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the main reason H2 isn't used yet is STORAGE.... it doesn't liquify, leaks thru almost everything (even metal), and is highly flammable in an enclosed space!!!

H2 does liquify, anything does

also is is able to be stored in metal or glass, usually if its under pressure it is a glass lined metal canister, with heaps of insulation because under pressure it gets very cold

cold is good for a combustion engine, as there is more expansion of product gases

the highly flammable aspect of H2 is why it makes an excellent fuel, but then again.... hindenburg Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 18:00

I think there should be a govornment incentive to fit solar panels to your house, and a bigger one to fit them to a house you're building. If we could have a few solar panels on each persons roof it'd do all sorts of awesome things for our impact on our environemnt.

There is, you can also sell any excess power back to the grid as well.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So all this talk of hyrogen fuel... how's it compare to petrol? How different would your engine have to be? Or would you just have to get a new ECU, and fuel system?

Also, what kind of bi-products would a hydrogen fuel have? What exhaust gasses are we talking here?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 12:11

So all this talk of hyrogen fuel... how's it compare to petrol? How different would your engine have to be? Or would you just have to get a new ECU, and fuel system?

Also, what kind of bi-products would a hydrogen fuel have? What exhaust gasses are we talking here?

Well to burn hydrogen it will be in the presence of oxygen so it's a good assumption the only thing made is water, hence fuel cell cars being so popular in terms of future technology.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exhaust would be water from memory? Someone can clarify, but basically the hydrogen and oxygen mix and the by product is water.

I have also looked into a water powerred car (Taking the Hydrgen out of it) But the electrical power needed to do this would make it a complete waste. ie. power produced < power required.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigmeister wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 14:03

Exhaust would be water from memory? Someone can clarify, but basically the hydrogen and oxygen mix and the by product is water.

I have also looked into a water powerred car (Taking the Hydrgen out of it) But the electrical power needed to do this would make it a complete waste. ie. power produced < power required.

I already stated that the only emission would be water.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:34

Sigmeister wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 14:03

I already stated that the only emission would be water.

Appologies, for some reason I had you on ignore?!? And didn't see your response.

you are no longer ignored
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paranoid Android wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 11:31

Quote:

H2 does liquify, anything does

also is is able to be stored in metal or glass, usually if its under pressure it is a glass lined metal canister, with heaps of insulation because under pressure it gets very cold

cold is good for a combustion engine, as there is more expansion of product gases

the highly flammable aspect of H2 is why it makes an excellent fuel, but then again.... hindenburg Confused

sure it liquifies... the boiling temperature of hydrogen is 20K ie, -253 celcius. (helium is at 4K = -269C, and is capable of freezing hydrogen (at 15K?)

hydrogen can also exist in a metallic state (so they say) at a pressure of 2.8Mbar.. thats 2.8 MILLION atmospheres of pressure.

there is a big difference between talking about storing H2 AT temperature (ie 20K above asolute zero) and containing it as a gas under pressure at room temp...

H2 does difuse through metal, and readily diffuses through glass and plastic. joints in piping are the bigest problem, with metal on metal seals the most reliable way (since it diffuses through O-rings Wink )
Marc205
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paranoid Android wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 15:37

id like to see a company create a performance fully electric engine, it would be possible and would more resemble a rotary engine - small low torque, with very high rev range.

The Venturi Fetish is an electric supercar, so you can get cars like that. If all you want is a drop in electric motor, there are tonnes that would fit the bill. The problem (as I understand it) is battery technology. Batteries are big and heavy, totally ruining your vehicle power-to-weight. You could go out today and purchase a small, light electric motor to fit in place of your existing engine, but you'd have some problems powering it.
Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.theaircar.com/howitworks.html
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Thu, 22 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.speedace.info/killacycle.htm

fastest electric dragtser, "current eliminator" did 8.801

electric mazda
http://www.cloudelectric.com/Images/Dragsters/MazdaLeapin_001.jpg
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how to make methanol / ethanol and still Sat, 24 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous message
Paranoid Android wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 18:05

nuclear power?

im striping a smoke detector as we speak! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone else around here?
Next Topic:add your fav quote
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:41:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010044097900391 seconds