Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How well did you do your own re-spray?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 01:31 Go to next message
Hi there guys,
After reading GTVAE86's thread http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80775&start=0&rid=10204&S=287f96031f 46d41fa82bcc14ec4e878a

I was thinking, who here has done their own re-spray on their car?
If you have, post pictures of the paint job you did. Of course if you are a professional, maybe mention that you are.

I'm just curious how well people have managed to do it themselves as against a professional job.

- Jabbott

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 01:32]

Send a private message to this user    
Pieman
Regular

February 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been interested too, might be benifical to get one of the various books available like these

click
click
clicky
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my paint didnt turn out too badly except i got dry streaks from painting in the shade Sad so now i gotta redo it again. but i got a few scrathes to fix now neway so yer.

tip to all paint in the sun Very Happy

laterdays and goodluck
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did my own re-spray on the feral in one week before the Jamboree last year (2004). i still had bodywork i was doing at the same time but got it all done. on the friday before the show i had a professional 'home' dude buff it for me as i dont know how to buff paint, but gotta learn so i can do it all myself next time.
some pics here of the finished job, it actualy has a shine. Laughing
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/237058/4

i took plenty of strip down and paint pics along the way, Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty good me thinks:

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/images/Dscf0729.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 07:42]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only did the prep-work for my car, aside from a couple of little patches it came out alright. I reckon I could've done a darn sight better job spraying the colour (or non-colour if you like) than the "professionals" that did it.

Heres hoping it comes up good with ze uber buff.
roman
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm mine turned out pretty well, although it took months and months to finish. Razz

http://toyspeed.blakjak.net/profiles/photos/535.jpg

(excuse the blurry photo :oops:)a

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i want to learn how to paint, what are the best books you had experience with, il get a few panels and start from there.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Mon, 19 September 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had 1 hit and 1 miss

HIT:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/Robs%20RA40%20-%2015.jpg

MISS:
not allowed to see it, but its in good hands now and will be all fixed.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 23:27]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine turned out fairly farken poo...

so we are going to do it again Smile
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 06:31

i did my own re-spray on the feral in one week before the Jamboree last year (2004). i still had bodywork i was doing at the same time but got it all done. on the friday before the show i had a professional 'home' dude buff it for me as i dont know how to buff paint, but gotta learn so i can do it all myself next time.

i think ive seen ur car around hervey bay man?...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finally found the *after* pics:

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/images/Image0007.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/images/Image0008.jpg
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks mighty fine Ed Nod I'm hoping the majority of mine can be solved with some judicious buffing Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 00:56]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:53

Looks mighty fine Ed Nod I'm hoping the majority of mine can be solved with some judicious buffing Razz

recent pics?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done a couple, both turned out very well.

There's pics of my celica in my members rides thread

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=81185&start=0&rid=7462&S=373065739f1 522f958ca3da348319b95

And here's my other - about the best picture i could find of the actual paintwork

http://www.serial.arvixe.com/dalec/celica/corollapaint.jpg
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All in all, it looks like with a bit of practise people seem to be doing ok jobs of their cars.

My thoughts are that my next car I will most likely want black, so if I can't find a nice one in black I will re-spray it, but I don't want to spend that much cash.

I want it black but nice and shiny, is that a case of spraying it metallic black then the key to the shine is polish & buff? Or is it something that only the pro's can do?

- Jabbott
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61

is that a gloss or an acrylic?! looks so shiny Shocked

my uncle jus bought a new spray gun and equipment. im hoping to practice on a few shitters, then im gonna do my lil bros rolla, make sure i got the hang of it Razz

then i plan on doing a celica. ra23 or ta23... deffinetly Very Happy

jason
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 08:59

recent pics?

Haven't got anything good. It's a real pain to try and get a decent pic of because it's so...well, white. Hides what is actually a fairly orange-peeled job Sad

http://iamfrank.ath.cx/tyres/3.jpg
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 11:32

ed_ma61

is that a gloss or an acrylic?! looks so shiny Shocked

its acrylic, with lots of coats of clear, then cut, buffed, waxed/glazed and polished Nod
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:18

then cut, buffed, waxed/glazed and polished Nod

Mine is missing pretty much all of this methinks.
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much $$$ would I be looking at, to start from scratch to paint one car.

I'd need spray gun and all that jazz, plus paint etc. Would all this equipment set me back over a grand?

Basically, if i plan on painting one car, and one car only, would it be worth buyin all the equipment? Or would a pro be cheaper for a one off
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what ive found pros generally want $5k+ starting for small cars...i cant see any ammount of equipment costing this much..
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 12:58

will make a HUGE difference mate. HUGE takes an average job to unbelievable standards
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:32

i havnt been in Hervey Bay for well over a year now i think. i used to frequent there from Bundy now and then.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 10:13]

esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking of getting my car resprayed at a TAFE. All you pay for is materials and I've heard they do a pretty good job.

How much would paint cost to paint a st185 in super red?
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt do mine myself i paid a panel beater $2000 bucks
and it turned out good i reckon. it used to be red. lol.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/erki/Picture2.jpg
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 17:07

from what ive found pros generally want $5k+ starting for small cars...i cant see any ammount of equipment costing this much..

Comsidering I've seen spray guns worth the wrong side of $2K...

Running spray booth, paint can be v expensive. Not to mention where the big dollars are, prep.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esk34 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 20:48

I was thinking of getting my car resprayed at a TAFE. All you pay for is materials and I've heard they do a pretty good job.

sounds like a good idea, if u got shit paint already then u got nuffin to loose.
but mayb do it towards the end of the year, that way they been in course for longer Rolling Eyes ahahahh
i will deff look into this but, see if they do it at any of my local tafes...
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious if Hornsby is an auto-motive tafe? I think they are, I did a course there a while back and saw a very nice car they had put together.
But who would you contact about something like that?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 20:13

-=DV=- wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:32

i havnt been in Hervey Bay for well over a year now i think. i used to frequent there from Bundy now and then.

ahhh k, mustve been sum1 else i saw then..theres a couple of aw11s gettin around here...should bring urs out one day for a bit of a cruise wif the ole 165
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 20 September 2005 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jabbott wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 21:52

Curious if Hornsby is an auto-motive tafe? I think they are, I did a course there a while back and saw a very nice car they had put together.
But who would you contact about something like that?

1. ring/ go into tafe.
2. ask around.
3. ????
4. Profiteroles.

Eldar.O.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm STILL working on my respray, its been months and months and months.. Including cutting/welding rust etc.. I don't get too much time to work on it, but I am also ultra fussy. It does look really good so far, being my first paint job I'm very very happy. Dust is very hard to keep out, not having a proper spray booth, but it is still looking nice.

In hindsight, next time I'd do one of two things.

Paint in a non metallic/clearcoat combo. Keeping dust out of my clearcoat has been a pain. Next time I'll stick to a solid colour...

The time it has taken me to do my car, I could have worked instead and paid for it easily.

Still, I have learnt so much working on my baby, and I'll be ultra proud when my RA23 is on the road.
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's some pics of my home respray. It wasn't too hard, but it took ages to sand and prepare for spraying, and it's really messy, there's still red stains on the driveway Wink

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/kewp200509211411ridefile2.jpg

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/kewp200509211412ridefile3.jpg

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/kewp200509211412ridefile4.jpg

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/kewp200509211412ridefile5.jpg

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/kewp200509211411ridefile1.jpg
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kewp, what paint did you use for that? I'm guessing acrylic. It looks pretty glossy - what brand was it? Did you use a very good quality gun or something pretty ordinary?

Cheers mate,

Jeremy.
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The paint is acrylic honda red, those photos are my second attempt, the first one turned out crap because i didn't spray the paint thick enough, and it had no gloss at all. The gun was the cheapest gun i could buy, about $60, it did the job good enough.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed's looks titties Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did my car in acrylic, turned out really well.....but also took a really long time Very Happy

It was a complete respray, did not change the colour tho.

my tips for a home spray job.

1) have plenty of time because a rush job will be a crap job

2)Dont skimp, get the right equipment, its labour intensive so you dont want to spend all this time and end up with crap.

3) find someone who has done it before and enlist them for help, payment in burbon and pizza usually helps

4)Find somewhere decent to do it, you will be spending a fair bit of time so make sure if its in doors it can be ventilated, and if its outside keep away from trees etc so crap does not fall in and its far enough away not to annoy your neibors, you would surprised how far overspray can travel Mad and how noisey an air compressor is at 11.00 at night Laughing Laughing

5) preparation, be prepared to put in the hard yards from the start...dont rush it !!!!!!!! dont cheat, take out the windows, dont try to tape things up etc etc trust me, take it to pieces, taping things SUX and you end up with a CRAP job

6) Normally paint is applied in a pretty much perfect environment with good lighting, temps and CLEAN fresh air etc etc, dont try to paint with crappy conditions, ie humid windy etc etc

7) use a mask and appropriate safety equipment, you want to paint the car NOT you LUNGS

Cool choose a straight colour metalics are much harder to get a good even paint and require a lot more skill

Finally i am sure you can do it, just do the research.

I think the hardest things personally was not rushing and setting up the gun to adjust for the paint to get the best finish, at the end of the day i probably used twice as much paint as a pro, but thats the price of learning
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found criss crossing the gun gave a good result with metalic paints.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Wed, 21 September 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esk34 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 20:48

I heard because of liabilities and other crap they don't do it anymore, at least in NSW. Apparently they're only allowed to do it on their own cars.

Someone gladly inform me if I'm wrong but that's what I heard. I think someone mentioned it before on this forum.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 22:54

5) preparation, be prepared to put in the hard yards from the start...dont rush it !!!!!!!! dont cheat, take out the windows, dont try to tape things up etc etc trust me, take it to pieces, taping things SUX and you end up with a CRAP job

Taping things up works well IF you put in the right amount of effort, took me 2 days to tape up my T-18... that said the time it takes to do it properly itll be just as quick to pull it apart Wink
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cept that taking off the tape would be a darn sight quicker then reassembling the whole thing! (one would think)

also i was thinking about getting my car re-done at tafe (old car no longer with me) but when i rang them they explained that they didn't do it because it encroached on panel beaters business, which i thought was totally fair.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 05:19]

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a car with 22 year old paint, would it be wise to go all the way back to bare metal? or just the first of the undercoats...

as its getting the up-in-and under treatment, i experimented that the underside virtally has zero paint on it Neutral...if im going back to bare metal what sorta undercoating, primer would i need to adress? Confused

failing that, ill send my car to the local tafe...all you do is pay for materials...and its a top notch job Very Happy
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:40

for a car with 22 year old paint, would it be wise to go all the way back to bare metal? or just the first of the undercoats...

as its getting the up-in-and under treatment, i experimented that the underside virtally has zero paint on it Neutral...if im going back to bare metal what sorta undercoating, primer would i need to adress? Confused

failing that, ill send my car to the local tafe...all you do is pay for materials...and its a top notch job Very Happy

you've just completely bypassed the past 5 or so posts int his thread lol.

the tafe i goto paints cars, next time im there ill ask around and get a definate answer, one of the best looking cars in WA was painted at my tafe, its also a member of toymods... Razz

Eldar.O.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soorry eldar, im currently at tafe Razz so im constantly looking over my shoulder as im supposed to be doing other things...i i skipped half the thread....

but yeah, probably my best option...but i cbf putting suspension back on the shell...best i make up rotisairy...or those things u see in chicken treat ads... Shocked Razz
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last car I had sprayed cost $4000, and that was the cheapest quote. Most were around $8000 - &10000. Plus I wasn't happy with the job. Their reply "if you want a show car paint job you should have spent $10000". So I'm spraying mine myself.

Time spent in prep work will always pay off.

Plus its a budget job. My whole purpose is to build my car without professional assistance (except for the engine machine - but I did the assembly).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Thu, 22 September 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 15:46

justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 12:58

will make a HUGE difference mate. HUGE takes an average job to unbelievable standards

Heres hoping, usually 2pac would be nice and glossy straight from the gun, but it looks like they sprayed it quite dry, so it's all orange-peeled. Going to be a few little niggling issues with it, but so long as it looks better than it does now and I can see myself in it (which is why I bought this paint) Razz
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Fri, 23 September 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about if u do all the prep and body work and maybe do the undercoat then let a shop do the final coat so u dont get all the dust and crap in the paint...

cant see it costing as much that way and u still get a nice job in the end..
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Fri, 23 September 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the prep work that makes a paint job good or shit so id say the opposite if nething but you may as well pay someone to do it all then.. if your in brisbane i may be able to get some cheap resprays Razz

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/beradg/roryairbrush.jpg

theres a sample

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 07:06]

filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Sat, 24 September 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found that a lot of spray painters didn't want the job full stop - a full respray is very time consuming. And they wouldn't do it unless they did the whole thing including prep, due to the fact that bad prep makes a bad spray job.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Sat, 24 September 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 17:01

its the if your in brisbane i may be able to get some cheap resprays Razz

how cheap?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Sun, 25 September 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probly 2 - 3k dependin on condition and prep work needed... thats everything visibaly painted except for the engine bay... inside doors , inside of the pillars etc... lights etc all pulled , windscreen etc... but have to see the car to see how much really
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Fri, 30 September 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone hook me up with a spray painter in the sydney area

i just need to get the frontbar and sideskirts done

it shouldnt need any blending, the parts are off the car, prep'd and ready to go.

cheers
Joe
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 04 October 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paranoid Android wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 23:17

can anyone hook me up with a spray painter in the sydney area

i just need to get the frontbar and sideskirts done

it shouldnt need any blending, the parts are off the car, prep'd and ready to go.

cheers
Joe

I kinda know a guy down that way. He just started up his own one-stop-shop for mechanical stuff and body work, using all the guys he had work on his car. (Lucky bastard, living the life most people I know dream of!)

He is having some opening specials atm, so his prices are pretty damn good! (Mostly specials for Supra owners in his NSW Supra Club though)

Are you ready to get it done within the next month or so? What sort of car? Same colour or complete change?

He is pretty damn quick too. Drive in with cruddy car on Monday morning, cruising the streets in style on Friday night. Very Happy
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: How well did you do your own re-spray? Tue, 04 October 2005 07:51 Go to previous message
Oh I just realised you already said what you need done. Razz

Anywayz, just shoot him an email and tell him sirpsychosexy from ther Supra Forums told you to talk to him. Wink

quotes@xzibit.au.com

His names John Pavalos (not sure how to spell the last name)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Older Cars
Next Topic:Looking for race car trailor, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:30:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011105060577393 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.