Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 05:58 Go to next message
Well the other thread has gone well and truly off track. So i'd thought i'd start a fresh. ATM this is the leadin car as they seem to fit the bill of flying under the theft radar whilst being adequately fast and with a potential for more in the future.
The specific car that i looked at had 26,000kms on the clock was lowered and had aftermarket 15 inch mags with brand new michelin runner.
The seats were fantastic big enough for me just which means they'll hold me in well. Car has most of the mod cons cd, airbags, aircon, power windows etc.
It is a BZG so it only has the 5 speed manual with lsd. Its silver and haven't not seen too many others i can't judge on the muffler but it didn't look like a factory one. The main ? over the muffler comes from the toms enhanced sticker on the rear i know that AL Palmer fitted the lowered springs and rims so that ain't it so its either the muffler or a ricer owned the car in japan.
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have.

I've driven the black trueno on church st parra. It looks really nice outside but as you go inside it looks cheap. Feels like a any other corolla new or old. Drove like an 100KW 4AG got bored of it and lost intrest straight away.

It's not worth the 14-16k asking price. They used to go for 10-12k at UAS castle hill. Still not a bad alternative

Have you considered Honda Civic VTiR? It has Alot more features and higher resale value
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the civics are nice especially the earlier hatch, the later coupe/really just a 2 door sedan is very plain (though that could be an advantage parkign at the station) to look at where as the levin atleast looks pretty good. If i was gonna go honda i'd go the whole hog and get the Integra Type R.

I am still yet to drive the levin and i guess that'll tell whether or not i really want the thing.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much will the levin cost?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Around 15K. SW20R thanks for the info how long ago did you drive one because i was only aware that they were just given approval to import them.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 months ago

They have both Trueno and Levin BZ-G 5spd blacktops.

Compiled by Some company in Campbelltown area I believe. Not Al Palmer someone else.

I just found it boring to drive, Steering response and handling felt good but it had no torque at all

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 06:31]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info, i'll see what they are like to drive if it ain't my cup of tea i've lost nothing so meh i walk away and look for another car. Smile
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 16:29

had no torque at all

Don't 20 valves have fck all of nothing in the torque department? Did you actually drive it hard or just cruise around?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove it how I would normally drive a car in the city. It was a main rd so I was shifting at 2/3KRPM max, I did rev it to redline the first few gears but yeah. No wow factor since I have Turbo MR2 Laughing

it did have nice pick up though very responsive. but the chassis just feels heavy
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Civic VTIR hatch and have always wondered how these things performed and handled in comparision to the Honda. Confused
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well on that vtec webpage with clips of diff cars going against vtec cars.
The ae111 beat the EK vtir.
ae111 alot rarer, and I like the looks, I'd rather one of those over a civic. Though the EK coupe is nice lookin as said.

Get a ae101 gze trueno... Look nice too and more punch.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 16:25

Around 15K.

15gees for that? bro you could do so much better.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:04

Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 16:25

Around 15K.

15gees for that? bro you could do so much better.

Lol rob, at the moment i like the car but it is more my parents that would prefer me to get the car over others i have considered. It all comes down to the test drive though, if the car isn't fun or realtively quick then i doubt i'd buy it. It'd also be pretty weird driving it compared to the corona peak torque at 2800rpm vs like 6500rpm.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
punch your parents in the urethra, then buy a postie to ride to the station and buy something cool.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 19 September 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In reference to your avatar you have sunk my battleship. Very Happy I am still not sure on the actual price of the car just going on an estimate from the week previous. I'll probably be looking at going for a testdrive in say two weeks and then make my mind up if i want to get one.

By the sounds of things though it may not be my cup of tea, i prefer a car that has a little kick down low as generally i spend a lot of time driving it round town, but would like it also to open up on the weekends.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bro after u punch them in the urethra buy this

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:22

bro after u punch them in the urethra buy this

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39

I love that car but it is diesel and fwd, and the money i would spend on it would mean that i would not have money to throw something interesting in it. If i could get a definite answer about when the GT-t would become availabe i'd save buying another car until then.

Edit: It was also the first thing i looked at on the new forums yesterday. I have seen the car on many a cruise and it would have to be one of the best looking wagons I have seen.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 00:35]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the last piece of advice im going to freely give you.

stick a sharp screwdriver into your own urethra and dont ever consider buying a car ever again. Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 12:10

this is the last piece of advice im going to freely give you.

stick a sharp screwdriver into your own urethra and dont ever consider buying a car ever again. Razz

WTF, i love WAGONIST's caldina but i wouldn't be able to afford the conversion it needs for like 2 years after purchase and i don't feel like driving a diesel around for that time. Not to mention that majority of my driving is short trips which is not ideal for a diesel powered car.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
note the smiley darlin'
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 12:24

note the smiley darlin'

lol true

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:25]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diesel = torque

22r = torque (apparently Confused )

Caldina + Diesel = Sexy wagon, with good handling, torque and fuel economy

Corona + 22r = p00 machine with p00 handling and p00 economy.

The Caldina looked to handle pretty damn well, and move along quite briskly on the CCG/Toymods cruise a couple of weeks ago.

You can't beat a shaggin' wagon!

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:29]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 12:28

Diesel = torque

22r = torque (apparently Confused )

Caldina + Diesel = Sexy wagon, with good handling, torque and fuel economy

Corona + 22r = p00 machine with p00 handling and p00 economy.

The Caldina looked to handle pretty damn well, and move along quite briskly on the CCG/Toymods cruise a couple of weeks ago.

I followed it at the easter event on the way to albion park along the jambaroo road, it does handle extremely well but was a bit sluggish when it came to the hills (it was fine provided he got a run up but a couple times when he was slowed by Rod's crown it wasn't good) and yes it does have good economy unlike my corona which love to chew down juice.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:32]

pro_k
Regular

September 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 20 September 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are a great car to drive!

Needs to be driven in a different way. Those used to Turbo's wont like them. Like any car you need to change your driving style from one car to another.

If you buy a standard car...You can always set it up to suit yourself. Its the best way.

Very unique too!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what you need! SUGOI NE!

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/toyota.htm

4AGUE 20 Valve black top TURBO

Apexi KKK turbo kit fitted, AM clutch and LSD FWD gearbox

$2850

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/4AG%2020V%20TURB.jpg
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe thanks, that'd help it move along a lot better, but not just yet and I was thinking if i got it i'd go the NA route we'll see. There is plenty of space in front of the extractors for a turbo setup. Smile
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the girls that I'm staying with lets me drive it around town.

The 6speed, you have to rev it up just like a 4ag. When cruizing the car has no balls.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:42

One of the girls that I'm staying with lets me drive it around town.

The 6speed, you have to rev it up just like a 4ag. When cruizing the car has no balls.

Rev it up like a 4ag it is one Razz
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, drive the 20v like you drive the 16v.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:47

Sorry, drive the 20v like you drive the 16v.

lol it still the same engine the extra 4 valves aren't worth the effort
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget the 111, the 20V is a heavy car sucks.
the GZE earlier rollas are nicer, but get an AWD one if any.. no point turboing it and making it undriveable.

get the dina and do the conversion.. it's a nicer car anyway..

or start saving for mine.. in two years.. maybe around $30K Razz

or just get any car.. anything good will get keyed/stolen from the station anyway.. if yu continue to live in a shit area, expect yur shit to get trashed (my brothers KE30 was stolen 3 times from C'town station)

personally.. and truthfully... i would be saving the money on a new car and moving out of campbelltown... as far away as i could afford.... simply because you will have a beter life in the long run because of it..

move to eastern suburbs, or newtown or annandale etc etc.. and spend the 20K on fun instead of a car.. the car will always lose value..

anyway, briefly back on topic...
the 20V's i test drove here really really sucked Sad i was so dissapointed i considered buying a subaru Razz
the GZE are ok, but only cos they are not slow as dogs balls... i would ONLY get a 4WD version tho.

Cya, Stewart

ps.. save your money Razz... spend it on a better life Razz

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 01:39

or newtown

lol move to p00town? where the trendies think they are scummies, any outsiders are not good enough to go to the dendy, and the scummies are a dirty hippy uni students who want vegetable rights and free uni so they can go smoke bongs in the finacial aid office, while eating the cruds from in-between their scummy shoeless feet.

id rather be bum rushed by a bunch of rabid man hating lesbians

EDIT: ^ a species which u can also find in dirty old p00town.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 23:50]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i am gonna be in campbelltown for at least the next 5 and a half years due to uni so that ain't really an option. Wink
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:48

By the sounds of things though it may not be my cup of tea, i prefer a car that has a little kick down low as generally i spend a lot of time driving it round town, but would like it also to open up on the weekends.

If u want some low down kick why r u lookin at a high revving 1.6lt engine ....
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona corona corona...... Sad
When i read you were thinking of buying the AE111, i thought to myself, Geez, you may as well go out and buy a Civic, and while your at it, paint it man salmon pink. Then i read you actually considered buying one!!!

No offence to you dude, but every civic owner I have know is a complete space cadet that thinks their a legend in their own lunchtime.

Mark my words, you WILL get bored of the AE111 before you know it. As Oldcorollas says, they suck.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Wed, 21 September 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol well i'll see what happens when i drive it and maybe see how much the 180sx is and when it will be available. But still even that is an 11 year old car and i wouldn't mind something a touch newer.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Mon, 03 October 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well went on saturday to testdrive the car. With the lowered springs and low profile tyres the car is very stiff (i can live with that).

Anyway it seems to go alright but as my mum was in the back seat i didn't get to open it up and find out and being a double demerit weekend didn't help either. Was a bit hard in a suburban area as 5krpm in second gear is around 70kmph and most streets were 50 or sixty so it was a quick blat then back off to the speed limit.

It definately lacks punch down low especially just rolling round a corner then giving it.

So heres the problem, whilst i am not 100% certain on the car, its very nice and all but i want something a fair chunk quicker, my mum and uncle love the car. Trying to convince them that I would prefer something with a bit more balls is either like talking to a brick wall or starting another whole dilemma about not needing a fast car for the road etc.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geez, sounds like turmoil in Crumbletown......your mum is seeing your uncle and the AE111 isn't quick enough.

Heres the plan:

Your a big boy now, get what ever car you like. Just say "Mummy, you can't tell me what to do, I am a big boy now and if I want to drive a turbo car" *insert crying here* Mummy will surely let you get what ever car you like after an outburst like that.

Film your Mummy and Uncle together and use this as blackmail, your uncle will buy you what ever car you want Wink and Mummy will be making sammiches when ever you get hungry.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently having the same prob (i mainly want something slow in rwd) but my oldies are pushing me to get some fwd newer yet more boring POS
i cut them a deal though i get this car drive it like a granny for 6 months sell it then import something i really want Laughing Evil or Very Mad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol, my mum is very much a nag and worries way too much, ie she is always concerned about the what ifs in life. No matter what situation there is she'll always imagine the worst and take it as truth.

She sees the levin as a nice little car that i can't get into too much trouble with. Meh it'll take a while but i'll manage to talk her around to letting me ge a turbo, getting them to even look at the GT4 was a triumph. Wink

As for my uncle it'll be easy enough to sway him, he got banned from driving his sons modded EB xr6 cos he kept dropping heli's in it Evil or Very Mad.

IMO the levin is a nice car, but as already said by the others above it lacks torque and hence becomes very plain and mundane to drive, and i don't want to ringing the cars neck to extract perfromanc out of it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a corona??
i mean new corona Razz

actually, i saw a pretty sexy carina the other day, 2 door, nice front and back....

the corollas are, and always have been, underpowered and shiteful for handling.

coronas are bigger with a little more torque, but still shopping trolleys..

carinas are a bit nicer, caldinas are also good, but any normal model is pretty unexciting to drive...

turbo + lowered + expensive tyres = exciting car.

problem with these less than 10 year old cars.. is that they are heavy and performance is almost always uninspiring..

wht not look to a turbo suby wagon or forester, they are cheap as chips, and common enough to be serviced (or a B4)

if all you want is grunt, get a commonwhore. they are good bang for buck.. they just suck.

or better yet, buy a cheap shitter, and save your money to build a proper car whenyou can afford to insure it (ie when you are in your mid 20's Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing )

spend your money on having fun, not on highly depreciating assets Razz
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy an AE101 trueno or levin. id definately go trueno, semi-similar looking body and size, but one comes with a gze... thee is the extra punch you were looking for down low.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old corollas, Caldina's are awesome but the only turbo petrol one i have seen is for sale but in brisbane. The suby's are a prick for insurance thank you ram raiders the forester's are a bit better but require a few more mods to get them cornering and going fast as they were detuned and obviously have softer higher suspension.

And in any case if i was to get one i'd buy a runaround for a couple years continue to save and buy one off the reli's as i know how they have been driven, two options in this case would be a MY2004 WRX, or 2005 Forrester XT turbo.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 16:08

Have you considered Honda Civic VTiR? It has Alot more features and higher resale value

and a LOT less unique
and a shittier engine

go the 111, love that 20v sound!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 10:58

Here's what you need! SUGOI NE!

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/toyota.htm

4AGUE 20 Valve black top TURBO

Apexi KKK turbo kit fitted, AM clutch and LSD FWD gearbox

$2850

fark what a rip. you can get a half cut for 150 bucks more!
then you get the whole loom/ecu and all those other OEM goodies!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one Tue, 04 October 2005 13:14 Go to previous message
Not really a turbo kit like that would cost upto 2k alone Garth Razz

well worth buying the ecu/loom to suite!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP on unstable Idling
Next Topic:scissor doors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:04:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096709728240967 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.