Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Question for Yogi Wed, 05 June 2002 13:37 Go to next message
yogi, what have you done to your diff/drive shaft to stop them shredding the moment you try and use your 350+ horsies, and how much did it cost? Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 06 June 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using a 4ag turbo in my ae86, and I used a borg warner 78 LSD (commodore, falcon, r31, etc. etc. etc.), and a 1 piece drive shaft that hopefully won't shred in a hurry.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 06 June 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what was the cost of all that?

the 1 piece shaft in particular, and did it fit with some "massaging", or did you need to redo the whole line?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 06 June 2002 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The shaft was $198, i took the front half of my old shaft and a new commodore uni joint that the diff guy gave to me to a driveshaft guy, he supplied a new piece of pipe, made the shaft and balanced it. No problems with fitting at all, plenty of clearance everywhere.

The diff is basically a modified r31 skyline LSD (4 pinion). I couldnt find a skyline LSD at the time, so I bought an open 4 pinion one and also a clubsport diff, and gave it to my diff guy, he then rebuilt it all with new bearings, welded on the suspension brackets for the ae86 and straightened the housing, narrowed it just a little bit which resulted in the perfect width, (but didnt need messy and expensive axle resplining), and fitted new 4.11 gears. It bolted straight into the car without any hassle, only had to make handbrake cables. Cost was $910 for the diff guy, plus $500 for the clubsport and skyline diff, so about $1400 + tailshaft. You're welcome to have a look at it anytime (if you live anywhere near me that is!) Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 06 June 2002 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I'm in sydney, but I do visit melb quite regularly, so next time I'm planning a trip I'll msg ya Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Fri, 07 June 2002 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also I'm coming to Syd in a couple of weeks, maybe we can find each other sometime while I'm there??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Fri, 07 June 2002 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
come to a club meeting, or else just send me an e-mail closer to the date.
my memory sucks, but remind me a few days before and I'll work something out Smile
Buisness or pleasure?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Fri, 07 June 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'd be keen to come to a club meeting, I'll try and remember to send you a messageSmile ICQ or email me sometime soon maybe.

I'm coming for pleasure (yay!), just for the sake of going for a little drive, drop in and visit a few people, and see whatever else tickles my fancy along the way... (Skydiving was an idea that had crossed my mind, if I'm feeling suitably rich at the time Smiley $$ )
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Mon, 10 June 2002 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the man himself going to answer the question.. I'm keen to know too cause my diff is dead!

Luke
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Mon, 10 June 2002 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what I'm beginning to wonder!
as if the topic isn't a big enough giveaway Razz
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Mon, 10 June 2002 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that my sprinter diff's were the same as the TA diffs... man they used to just go BOOM!!

Pretty sure he has a 9 inch under it... but i'll let him reply for sure. Looks fat from behind though.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Tue, 11 June 2002 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe he has a commodore diff, but he has still twisted the axles and busted the diff in that a couple of times if I am not mistaken. Grin
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Tue, 11 June 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,
Yeah i am pretty sure it is a VK commodore diff....
And i think he has broken it a few times...
goes to show commodore parts really arn't strong enough for REAL celicas!

cheers
Stew
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Tue, 11 June 2002 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey some of use have 9 to 5 jobs round here! well iam here now!
diff is a cut down VK calsis disc brake LSD!
diff centre is 4:11 and is shit on the highway, the weakest part is the axels! I am on my third set of custom mades and they dont look happy!
next step is billet( but i am not rich!)
tail shaft is a 3in heavy duty custom, cost about $250 from memory, it uses commodore V8 unis (which i havent changed in 3 years)

Last night we pulled the GZE fly wheel off the motor and found 5 bolts were a fanny hair away from shearing off!(lucky the box blew or the fly wheel would have ripped off the motor at 8G's)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Tue, 11 June 2002 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swinging the ball back to luke.... did your cressida come with ther 5M stock?
and if so, was that the same diff as the 5M celica-supra, and how long did it last up against a 1jz?
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Tue, 11 June 2002 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it came with the 5m and its still going. I havn't blown it up yet but it is getting really loud.

Mind you i have done nearly 20000km's in the last 6 months! good value!

Luke
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Luke,

is your diff lsd or open?

Cheers
Stew
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yogi, so you've been using cut down and resplined commodore axles? Also, are you using 2 pinion or 4 pinion (25 or 28 spline) diff centre? My suggestions are to use skyline axles, cos they come in at the right length (with a tiny bit cut off anyway), so no resplining, and a lot cheaper and stronger. Also make sure you're using a 4 pinion diff centre! (look how many dunnydores have chewed up 2 pinion ones...)
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin!
I wish it was that easy!
the diff is 20mm shorter each side then a standard TA22 diff (cause of the tubs!)
and yes it uses a 4 pinion centre
thanks anyway for the info
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is an open centre... its fine in a straight line. It always spins 2 and i've never taken off on a run and spun one. Coming out of corners is a different story Sad

Luke
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, tubs... No bloody wonder you're breaking stuffSmile

Also you can get a KAAZ centre for the borg warner diffs, maybe that and some billet axles might be necessary for you to stop busting stuff? And maybe a Jericho box too Cool
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have NFI about you guys are talkin about, mainly cos i don't know anything about diffs.

Anyway, i am also thinking about diffs because the 1g in my sprinter is going to give out a lot more horsies soon. I have the sprinter LSD, but i heard that the center is crap!

So my question is, can i just change the center or do i need a whole new rear?

Target hp is 400. What are my options?

Any help would be great
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talking of diffs, can anyone tell me how much an RA65 diff can take, and how much an MA61 diff can take? more importantly the MA61
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that 400 horsies, that rear wheel?? Evil or Very Mad

Sell the LSD you've got while its still alive, cos people pay good money for those things.

You'd probably be best off doing what I've done with mine, get an r31 skyline rear end (LSD from a silhouette or if you cant find one, buy an open one and get an LSD from a commodore/falcon - make sure its 4 pinion!), shorten the housing slightly, cut a little bit off of the axles, attach brackets, straighten, and get a tailshaft made to suit.

Where abouts you live? Welcome to have a look at mine any time. Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven, your RA65 should have the same F-series diff as the MA61, just minus the LSD. If its in good conditon, the diff should be strong enough for more thana few hundred horse power, some of the Mk2 boys have 7MGTE's they had modified and the diffs are holding out pretty well.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Wed, 12 June 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 13 June 2002 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mRSHIN,

400 horses at the wheel would be great Rolling but i meant at the flywheel! Sad

Why can't i just change the LSD.
Is there a 4 pinion that fits into the ae86 diff.
Is that possible Question

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2002 03:35]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Thu, 13 June 2002 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Far as I'm aware, there's no particularly strong diff centre made by Toyota for the ae86 diff housing. There are aftermarket ones, KAAZ and such, that are pretty strong, but cost as much/more than doing what I suggested anyway. Also, theres the issue of the axles - those tiny little things aren't really gonna like having a massive punishment dished out to them too often. Likewise the brakes - the ae86 discs aren't exactly something you'd wanna use TOO much, while the drum version is, well, drums (although the handbrake works a helluva lot better than discs while they're cold!)

Just tryna suggest the cheapest option for you in the long run, rather than munching a whole pile of little diffs!

Don't compromise on anything in the driveline and you'll thank yourself later - just have a look at me and clutches...
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: Question for Yogi Fri, 14 June 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrshin,

If i do what you suggested what happens to the stud pattern and offset. Does the skyline r31 have the same pattern?

cheers
Ash
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Question for Yogi Sat, 15 June 2002 11:04 Go to previous message
With the wheels I'm using (16" ones from the trading post) the offset works out perfectly, with the slightly wider diff just filling the tyres out to the edge of the guards nicely (and stopping them rubbing on the inside like they were!) Make sure that when you get your diff made up, you get it narrowed as much as the stock axles will allow though, otherwise it'd probably be a tiny bit too wide.

The stud pattern is the same, one reason I chose this diff in the first place. My old man drives an R31, so I took to it one day with the measuring tape and found everything to be pretty good, so I went and bought the diffs, did as much as I could myself then went to my diff guy (Barry from Trans Diff in Bayswater) and he did the rest.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what engine?
Next Topic:1G-GTE in RA21
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 1 11:25:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073921680450439 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.