Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

car carring/towing devices Tue, 27 September 2005 22:20 Go to next message
i remember years ago when i moved to Qld. seeing RACQ type people towing cars with a half trailer contraption that only went under one set of wheels of the car.
does anyone know if these things still around and are any good?

Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen them in use behind Motorhome type things, maybe try and find a motorhome club/forum and see if they have any for sale or if anyone knows where to get one. Wink
go_the_datt
Regular

February 2005
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can buy a campervan / rv mag from the newsagents. my old man buys it occasionally and there is allways a few for sale in there.
cheers
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guy's. Smile
my olds are buying a motorhome, i'm sure the old man has a few of them mags.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mobitow group used to have them behind 4WD's - but they'reall gone now that Ready Towing bought them out.

They're a neat thing as they have two substantial hydraulic rams tucked away insde them. Probably need decent drawbar on the towing vehicle to come with that low-slung weight & load. Also needs decent 12V supply for the hydraulic pump.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmm.. ok. cheers Smile
the one i seen up close years ago that caught my attention (and what i am looking for now) was towed by a regular car and it was a bit more primitive and didnt have a hydrailic ram by memory.

something like this would be ok, probably still outside what my budget would alow. Sad
http://www.caraghersteel.com.au/gipsy_ready_fs.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2005 12:09]

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a google for "car trailer dolly" or "car dolly". I've found some plans myself on how to build one.
Just something to note - make sure you have "safe mode-on" otherwise you'll come across dolly parton Shocked Freak

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2005 16:15]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and whats Dolly Parton doiong with a car...... Shocked Laughing

building one would be fun, problem is i dont have the time to do that. packing is a biatch and i am leaving in ~1 1/2 weeks after i leave my work.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill stick to my car trailer,lol it has big lockers up the front and a full tyre rack.they would be called dolly trailers,id imagine.
mick
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those things put unecessary strain on the running gear, they should really only be used as a stop gap solution, u best get a car trailer they are like $1000 in the tradey.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do people think about building a car trailer? I'm not seeing it to be that hard. Lots of long lengths of RHS. The axles there is nothing to them really, just a stub axle.

Is there something im missing? But when I sat down to think about it materials seemed to cost under $500 and then if you are handy with a MIG ....

Is the engineering process/rego of trailers difficult?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car carring/towing devices Wed, 28 September 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Realistically, you're looking at about $1500 to build a decent one. A couple of friends and I are planning on going thirds and building one over a couple of weekends.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: car carring/towing devices Thu, 29 September 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not buy one then sell it soon as you get to WA ?

shel;l the $1000 on the trailer then sell it soon as you get to wa id imagine you should get your $ back no stress ?

either that or leave the feral here with me in newcastle.

note i may steal its running gear to replace all mine Razz
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: car carring/towing devices Thu, 29 September 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.alltrailerspares.com.au/ has the australian design rules for building a trailer, in pdf format. They also have a page on some techno info as well.

Some motorhome/buses when they have a second vehicle, they just have like a simple a-frame hitch that, from what i can understand, hooks to the tow points on the towed car.

Something worth noting with a dolly and the A-frame hitch is that the vehicle being towed acts very make like a dog-trailer. That is if the front wheels can't turn the corner then the "trailer" its self will be a bitch and a half to go around said corner
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: car carring/towing devices Thu, 29 September 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 12:10

why not buy one then sell it soon as you get to WA ?

shel;l the $1000 on the trailer then sell it soon as you get to wa id imagine you should get your $ back no stress ?

either that or leave the feral here with me in newcastle.

note i may steal its running gear to replace all mine Razz

I want dibs on the motor Razz
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: car carring/towing devices Thu, 29 September 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha.. well i am now leaning towards plan d. to get back to WA. Smile

send my feroza with my 6x4 trailer full of all my spare mr2 shit and other gear over to WA by train and drive the trip back over in the feral again. Very Happy
the feral will be more fuel economical than the feroza with a trailer behind itand wont be no-where as slow. Evil or Very Mad

anyone know much about train freight from Brissie to Perth?

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 12:06]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: car carring/towing devices Thu, 29 September 2005 15:23 Go to previous message
feral4mr2 wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 22:05

anyone know much about train freight from Brissie to Perth?

Yeah. Bubble wrap or containerise it unless you want a good base for a respray.

EDIT: always good to insert quote you are quoting.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 15:26]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Petrol better then other states of OZ
Next Topic:Nokia car kit wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:23:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060160160064697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.