Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Buying a car interstate Wed, 28 September 2005 05:44 Go to next message
I posted this on the new forum - but this one seems to be much more patronised, so I'll post here too...

I'm seriously considering buying a car which is in a different state. The car's in melbourne and I'm in nsw.

It seems a bit risky, my options are either going to be to get an unregistered vehicle permit, fly down, drive back - this way I'd get to see the car before handing over the money. The only con I could see was if I got down there and really didn't want the car - I'd just have to sort out a way to get home.

The other option is to get it put on a truck and sent to me. This way would probably work out slightly dearer, as I have a plane ticket that needs to be used up anyway, so I'd only need to pay for petrol on the way back if driving it myself. Pros/cons are going to be I don't get to physically see the car myself, and drive it before the transaction takes place. Pros being I have no worry about breaking down (though it is a toyota ), and don't have to worry about an unregistered vehicle permit, nor the 1200km approx drive home.

What have people's experiences been and what advice could you give?
Also has anyone had experience with getting unregistered vehicle permits? The car comes with an RWC, but no rego, so I can only assume it would qualify for one of these.

Is there anyway I could get some sort of "trusted" inspection on the car being interstate? I think NRMA did something like this, I'm not sure.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toymad
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Buying a car interstate Wed, 28 September 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently did just that - bought a car interstate (Vic) and brought it back (Tas) on an unregistered vehicle permit.

Personally I'm not keen on buying a car without seeing it, but you have to be prepared to walk away even though you may have travelled a distance to see it - I tried to organise a couple of 'backup' cars to look at if the car i was after turned out to be a dud (thankfully it wasn't!)

For me acquiring the permit was no biggie as the car had both a RWC and rego. which was cancelled when i bought the car and got the permit.
I flew over and drove the car to the ferry terminal and then home as this was the cheapest way for me to get the car! No real hassles from my experience! Smile
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Buying a car interstate Thu, 29 September 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done that twice now! i bought both my MA61's from QLD and NSW both turned out to be fine, i thought it was a great idea cause it gives u an excuse to go on holiday, plus come back with a new car!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Buying a car interstate Thu, 29 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i flew from syd to melbourne twice to find a car.. first one i didn't like.... second one was much better, it did have rego still tho..

you can buy shit cheap flights on the net, so if you don't have a flight back, don't worry.... hole up in a hostel for a couple of days and see the (few:P) sights of melbourne, then get cheap flight back.... too easy Wink

would you be happier buying a car sight unseen?

at worst, fly down and back to see it, then get it trailered up... and check with NSW/ACT police about the unregistered car permit, it may only be valid in VIC...

Cya, Stewart
Toymad
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Buying a car interstate Thu, 29 September 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unregistered vehicle permits are valid nationwide (albeit only for 2 days tho!)

Cost me $40 for 2 days - can get them for longer for the appropriate fee! (I must say it was a strange feeling driving round without number plates!)
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Buying a car interstate Thu, 29 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I was thinking that about it being cheap to fly back, Stewart. It's only about $100 give or take for a one way fare. So the worst case, I'm out of pocket for $100 or so, best case I have a new car.

Thanks toymad, I didn't know they were that cheap!

I still haven't heard back from the guy yet though Rolling Eyes not very reassuring!

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Buying a car interstate Fri, 30 September 2005 09:32 Go to previous message
when i bought my 7M MA61 the RTA in NSW said we could have an unrego'd permit for upto 28 days for $55 or somethig close ot that, its pretty much the same price nad same deal down here in cold old tas!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dead Baby jokes: Cool & really funny, or just plain nasty?
Next Topic:more crazy jap cars
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:47:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054929256439209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.