Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park This Saturday: Sun, 02 October 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some nice pics there showing (lack of) weight transfer Wink but good in general.. pity the ones with two cars are a little blurry but meh..

ahh good old aussie drift sluts Laughing Laughing Laughing

i like the pic of the old dude who's dumped it into the wall... look says it all... Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those chicks are hot thanks
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park This Saturday: Sun, 02 October 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To those that were were wondering why it wasn't on the same track as last year, its cos the event last year was run by Full Lock, and is a completely different championship. This one was the Drift Australia championship.
Good news though is that the Full Lock championship will be back at Oran Park Driftland later this month (to the best of my knowledge)

The first half of the day was run better, with almost continuos drifting the whole time, with the only momentary pauses to get the spectators off the pit wall. 2nd half of the day was all disrupted by the stunt bikes, show girls, & promotional photoshoot (Drift Australia is much more comercially orientated than Full Lock), then once things were underway, first Beau in the Drift Battle silvia holed the sump and dropped oil over the whole circuit, (they took AGES to clean it up) then once things were under way again Rick Bates did the same thing to the Subaru, which meant things were delayed again for ages. The team drift runs were kinda fun, with some drivers going all out.

The Hachi's didnt really have a good day. They started out well, and looked pretty spectacular, but first Josh thought he spun a bearing, then Leighton had some turbo issues (quicly fixed), but things didnt seem to happen for him after that. There were also the 2 Hachis in the Formula Drift. The guy in the White car (sorry, cant remember his name) sounded awesome early on, and got some huge angles, but later in the day some sort of issues hindered his drifts on the big open circuit. Indy was out as well, definitely having fun, with a few big angles round turns 2-3, but water pump problems on the old 4AC caused her to pull out before the next round.

The best place to spectate from was from above the pits, but unless you were in the front row, you may as well stare at the walls. Even the judges couldn't see the whole of the judging area. The best place to view would have been if they put a temporary grandstand in front of the bridge.

This track was definitely more more like the US (and some D1 circuits) style of big high HP drifting, rather than the more traditional technical style seen in Japan, with big fast entries into turn one, and lots of power making it easier to keep things drifting through to turn 2, and also between turns 4-5, so the little 86's were definitely at a disadvantage.

I still had fun, but I was there all day. If i was only there for the disorganised 2nd half i would have definitely felt ripped off.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 05:08]

pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey,

First of all, I'd like to say I thought it was pretty good if you could put up with the delays. This was the first drift event that I've actually been to though so yeah, i don't have anything to compare it too.

I was viewing from the balconies above pit lane. It was a great place to view the straight and turn 1 but that's about it :S once cars would exit turn one you could only see the angle the car was facing but not the road, which meant you couldn't really judge whether it was good or not.

I loved being able to walk around pit lane though, and check out all the cars. It was really open. You could chat to drivers, etc. without having to worry about a security guard thumping you. haha.

I noticed Josh trashed his front bar, and then did the ol' drill and cable ties, frankenstein type stitching. It was then I realised it would cost ALOT of money if you weren't sponsored...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most motorsport events that i go to you have pretty good access to the pits although i feel they could of controlled it a tad better ie to stop ppl getting to the wall when they weren't supposed to, all you had was the commentators and that was it. Would of been fine if it had not been for morons in the morning that were waving arms over the edge.
Morons its not like your arm will do anything to a car but you'll be lucky to have an arm if it hits you.
Also one thing that tarnished the event was the theft of a few spectators cars, this then brought the police in didn't promote a good image for the sport ie ppl associated with it are thugs and if the cops wanted to gave them a good reason to set up an RBT or defect station as they were already there, not what competitors need. Wink
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people's cars were stolen? crap, that sucks :S

yeah i reckon you're right. People shouldn't be allowed past the garages into pit lane, i like the fact that you can walkaround in the drivers' garage areas, but to keep things moving people shouldn't be allowed into pit lane. The number of times we had to wait for upwards of 5 mins just for meataxes hanging over the edge....
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it was ok in the morning when the crowds were a bit thinner, but too many people on the wall ket waving their arms out as the cars were flying past right up against the wall at 120-150 kph sideways. There were even a few chicks that thought just cos they looked the shit in their miniskirts and high heels that they should be allowed to stand there when everyone else there had to be wearing neck to toe cover. One blond girl even stood there for like 15 minutes even while the commentators were yelling at her personally, to get off the wall. Thats when they cracked the shits and banned everyone except OP officials and photographers.

And those cars werent just stolen. The fucked up theives even decided to do some sick hellis in the entryway, and crashed a new looking commodore, then another tool (mabey the same one)stole a Ford then drove straight out into the intersection on Cobbity road and was T boned by a lancer.
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crikey! on all counts! how did i miss all that? i remember hearing over the speakers that some idiot was driving around the parking lot (i'm not sure whether that was inside the gates or outside) trying to do donuts in reverse in some range rover or other 4x4. I also heard of several cars parked in obstructing places for hours on end, and despite several warnings of being towed away, were not moved.

Did anyone else notice something that looked a lot like a mini rally stage outsde of the grounds, slightly up the hill (on the pit lane side)? is that thing public access? because i couldn't see any barriers or fencing blocking it off... but i didn't look very hard.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Sun, 02 October 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rally course is off limits, they used it for rally training school and drive days etc. As for the 4wd the tool was reversing at 50kmph atleast with the hatch open in between ppl it was a landcruiser. I was there on the spot took the commentators ages to notice, he reverse from the bridge to like the coca cola take out building at spin then flung it round and went straight, probably atleast 300-400m. Mad
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Mon, 03 October 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:20

Yeah, it was ok in the morning when the crowds were a bit thinner, but too many people on the wall ket waving their arms out as the cars were flying past right up against the wall at 120-150 kph sideways. There were even a few chicks that thought just cos they looked the shit in their miniskirts and high heels that they should be allowed to stand there when everyone else there had to be wearing neck to toe cover. One blond girl even stood there for like 15 minutes even while the commentators were yelling at her personally, to get off the wall. Thats when they cracked the shits and banned everyone except OP officials and photographers.

And those cars werent just stolen. The fucked up theives even decided to do some sick hellis in the entryway, and crashed a new looking commodore, then another tool (mabey the same one)stole a Ford then drove straight out into the intersection on Cobbity road and was T boned by a lancer.

Thats unbelievable.. what a bunch of loosers. The cops got them yeah?
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Mon, 03 October 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah when i was driving out i seen a dark bluish commodore wedged up underneath a fence, a silver mirage smashed up on the side, a tow truck, and a paddy wagon
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Mon, 03 October 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They probably did a runner, but its tools like that that stuff up the car scene for everyone else. Gives drifting an even worse rep than before, if that was possible.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Tue, 04 October 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it wont surprise me if cops start to set up defect stations on nothern rd , narrellan rd or camden valley way. I think they'll defnitly patrol these events now
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Tue, 04 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha i can see me in those photos! Very Happy

yeh a mate of a mates 2001 senator was stolen and written off into the fence. shit ay Crying or Very Sad
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Tue, 04 October 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know who was in that landcruiser tho...that Telly Tubby guy that went into the gravel and lost his front bar, he just put it on the tyre wall in front of where I was sitting and then came back for it later in the Land Cruiser, and as he got back in some stupid woman in a Ford Focus drove up to him instead of waiting for him to drive forward and turn around, so he had nowhere to go but reverse. But yeah he was going a bit nuts!
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Fri, 07 October 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, we saw the commodore on the fence on the way out, just figured some idiot parked it there trying to flick it. No good to hear it was stolen, and written off did you say?

Also, anyone else see the guy roll his hilux (or bravo or whatever) as everyone was leaving? Think he was trying to get it sideways on the grass, but it hit a hole or ditch and just fell straight on its side. He was only going pretty slow too. Then all the people piled out the windows on the highside (it was a dual cab with 4-5 people in it), and about 30-40 people all ran over to try to be the ones that helped push it upright.

So yeah, the action when everyone was leaving was almost as good as the on track stuff.

GT
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: Drift Australia Championships at Oran Park with pics slight NWS Fri, 07 October 2005 05:18 Go to previous message
Sheez by the sounds of it I'm glad that by the time I changed my tyres, packed up the car and said goodbye to everyone still there most of the spectators had gone. I still had people yelling out stuff to me as I left though, like "light it up". I saw some jaws drop when they realised it was a girl driving too Very Happy
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The V-Tech powah Honda Jet
Next Topic:Not your average car horn
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:30:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058639049530029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.