Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Heating Problem! **I GIVE UP!** Sun, 02 October 2005 07:59 Go to next message
hey all.
ive never had a heating problem or anything b4, and im pretty sure that the radiator isnt stock as its fair big and chunky for a stock 4af.

i pulled out of maccas and into the servo to grab fuel, car was fine up untill that moment into the servo. steam started to piss out of the bonnet and as i knew that the top hose needed replacement i thought it had shat itsself. so i park and turn it off. i get under the bonnet but the steams pissing out of the resivior tank.

being the slow f*cker i am, i remove the cap thinking its empty(hoping thats the reason it overheated.)luckily i used a rag, but i was derffinetly wrong, i lost a shitload of fluid and the cap Razz

so, the radiator was full, the hoses were all fine. the head gasket is fine, but there is a lil sumfin that floats to the top of the radiator ever now and then, but i think that might jus be crap in the radiator.

i eventualy found the cap and filled the radiator up and tried to bleed it, but the thermo fan never came on. 15mins later it starts to boil over and no fan.

does this mean thermo stat? or is it thermo fan? or wat.
im not keen starting stopping to get it home, but i was told to hook the thermo fan to battery to keep it running permanently. and my dad reacons i should remove the thermo stat. but i dunno bout the two ideas as my dad hasnt touched a car mechanically since he was like 19-20 lol.

thanks in advance,
jason

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 09:14]

Send a private message to this user    
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the fan is not cutting in, causing the car to over heat. it would be a good idea to hook the fan upto battery, just to chaeck that the fan is not shagged. if it works then you know there is no problem with the fan, rather the circuit that controls it. that makes it more difficult.
also, the thermostat could be stuffed and staying shut, causing the car to over heat, if the switch for the fan is in the radiator then it wouldnt get hot coolant causing it to turn on....im not sure how that system works....just a suggestion
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, this is my plan, but how do i hook the fan upto the battery? and how do i know if thats the problem. if i do that, can i then drive it home, wifout baking my hg?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unscrew the thermo fan switch, clean the threads, screw it back in and it should work... OR.. unplug it and the fan should stay on?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unpluggin the fan only works on a computer controlled fan. like late model commdodores etc. do u have air con? try turning that on. it should start your fan up. u may have a ir lock still and thats why the fan isnt kicking in.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, well its a corolla ae92. so where bouts do i find this thermo fan switch?

problem is, its down at the maccas which is like a 20min drive. so once im there i dun wanna have to come bak to see how to do wat i missed.

so i wanna know 100% how to do it, and i wanna know as many different things i can try till i can get my baby back on the road. its only been on for a week wif my new suspension to, its killing me to not have it Razz lol

and, how hard is it gonna be to do wif a torch? i wanna give it a shot tonight whilst the maccas is empty. doin it during the day is gonna be to much Razz hahahaha

thanks again,
jason
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:02

unpluggin the fan only works on a computer controlled fan. like late model commdodores etc. do u have air con? try turning that on. it should start your fan up. u may have a ir lock still and thats why the fan isnt kicking in.

oh, i thought the AE82/92's had a relay that was powered to open the circuit, not to close it...

in that case, pull the wire off the fan switch )located at the thermostat remote housing, near clutch area?) and ground it to something to turn the fan on.. you'll know it works when the fan comes on Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make up a piece of qire with two alligator clips, about 1m long.. that should be fine.... depending on the plug type....

at worst, if you test it and grounding that wire is ok, then cut the plug off (with enough wire to solder it back on) and connect that to alligator clip and ground it (keep wire away from moving parts...
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
computer controlled fan? bollocks!

the AE82/whatever use a thermo switch that "opens" when it reashes the set temperature, when the water is cold the switch is closed, or grounded.

this switch hooks up and controls a normally closed relay, that is a relay that is "off" when you apply power to the coil.

it you unplug the thermo switch, the fan SHOULD turn on. if it does, your switch is fubared, but AFAIK they are designed to fail open, so if it fails, it fails with the fan continuously on.

the switch wire will be a single pin plug which connects to a brass thing that screws into the remote thermostat housing, should be bolted to the top of the gearbox.

otherwise just drive home and dont stop too often.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neutral im lost, sorry hey, but i dunno if its me being tired as a mofo or its me jus not making sense.
f*ck its annoying that i cant test this and try again but Razz

so, basically, unplug the switch and see if the fan turns on. if it doesnt hook up a temporary earth(wif two aligator clips).

Quote:

but AFAIK they are designed to fail open, so if it fails, it fails with the fan continuously on.

this is where i get lost the most to. so ur saying if it is the switch, then it should be constantly on rather than constantly off?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and jus to clear it up, its a 4af auto. 3speed.
and yes it does have a/c. wen i switched the a/c on, in an attempt to get the thermo fan spinning in less time, it worked. it always has, but it never affected the thermo fan.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one last thing! b4 i flood my own thread. Razz

being an auto, im geussing its not gonna be to far from where the manaul one is. but jus in case it is, can i jus chase back the wires from the thermo fan to find the 'switch'??? or are they gonna go through sum sorta boxy thing? i really have no idea about this electronics jargon lol...

thanks again.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have aircon, and when you turn the air con on, the fan comes on.. just have the air con going on the way home..

and yes, the wires go to a relay as SBS wrote more eloquently than i could be bothered Very Happy
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh the fan comes on, but the wrong one.
theres two fans, ones an aircon fan in front of the radiator and ones im geussin you would call the thermo fan, which is behind the radiator.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the car gets hot while moving then it isnt a fan related problem.
did the car only get hot while you were idleing/parked or while you were moving?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had pulled out of the maccas drive through and into the servo which was right next door to get fuel. i was idling wen i saw the steam pissing out of the engine bay.

by right next door i mean full lock left out of maccas into servo. no turning needed. i dont think i even accelerated to get there. jus cruised in using idle.

so im geussing this means it is a fan related issue meaning maybe i can get my shit box (which i love to hate) home?

im thinking she was shitty wif me cause i left my keys in my bros car and tried to break into her to get a bag out. Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got a quick answer? i was hoping i could get out there and do it tongiht.

so i deff cant use aircon fan?

car got hot while idle, so deff fan issue? or most likely* fan problem?

thanks guys,
really appreciated.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, overheating at idle implies fan problem generally. Were you in the drive thru before pissing off from maccas? Chances are that it would be fine driving at spped, but suck the big one in traffic.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i was in drive thw whole time from arriving at the golden arches to arriving at the servo.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im gonna go search for a torch and head down now. im jus gonna take wat i have to work wif. dodgy kmart socket set and a few screw drivers i can dig round for Razz

lol, thanks for ur help guys. will see how it goes by late tonight or tomorrow morning.

will get bak to you's... sarrrr
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that'll teach you for doing laps around the maccas drive-thru, trying to pick up 12 year olds Laughing

"mummy mummy, his car looks cool"
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im only 19, thats not so bad is it? Rolling Eyes

ahahah, but the last thing any 12yr old is gonna say about my car is that. more along the lines of,
mummy, how does that big man fit in that little green box?
or
mummy, why is that mans car so cheap? is it made of cardboard really?! lol

bastard 12 yr olds Razz ahahha
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:41

im gonna go search for a torch and head down now. im jus gonna take wat i have to work wif. dodgy kmart socket set and a few screw drivers i can dig round for Razz

lol, thanks for ur help guys. will see how it goes by late tonight or tomorrow morning.

will get bak to you's... sarrrr

i work at kmart, it isnt all that bad...

*sniffle*

good luck in working your shit out dude Razz

Eldar.O.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks dude,
actualy the kmart kit out done my last tool kit. i used my last tool kit to do brakes and threaded the socket. and rooted the wrench thing.
i used the kmart one on the suspension and 100% the bolts where tighter on the stuts n shit and they done fine. im loving it Razz
i also got a few lil snap-on bits and peices for the 'its tight but how tight' jobs. lol

anywayz.
i went down tongiht and i looked for every plug i could find that attached to the thermo fan in sum way. and un done em one by one.
there where two plugs at the thermo stat(i think it was, my geuss is yes), and one at the actual fan. there was also a fuse which i tried(i think it was the right fuse not 100%) and i had no luck wif the fan turning on constantly.

so i figured if its gotta be on constantly to fix the problem, why not hook it straight to the batt, well i remembered it not so much figured it Rolling Eyes and done jus that. bit upset that i had to steal the cable from my 6*9s but wateva.

i got the fan on constantly but never got to test if it would over head as i had no water, no light, and no one else to stand there and say "hey, jason i think u fixed it"... well, that or "hey, jason i think u fugged it"...
also, i had two cars one driver. trying that would be as dum as trying to do donuts and hop out Rolling Eyes ahahhaah

anyway, so now that i got the fan running continuosly straight off the battery, should it be good to drive home on??
and i think the thermostat is working cause it seems to have water running in and out of the engine, one hose seemed warm and i noticed needs replacing cause its rather flimsy and other is quite cool... wat i cant remember is, if this was like this wen i had one of the plugs out. Confused

thanks again Very Happy
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, sh*t.

i jus re-read all those emails i got sent from the messages in here and realised that, wen i disconnected the plugs on the thermostat i never earthed em. ohwell.
is the only loss here that i end up wif a cut thermofan wire??? even if it is for nothing?

thanks.
will get an answer tomorrow wen im awake and not asleep Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sun, 02 October 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone help me here? i really want to get it home today...
i hooked the fan straight up to the battery and can succesfully have it running constantly, and in the right direction Razz

but, is this wat im trying to do? or is the more behind unpluging the plug and earthing it somewhere?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 09:54

can anyone help me here? i really want to get it home today...
i hooked the fan straight up to the battery and can succesfully have it running constantly, and in the right direction Razz

but, is this wat im trying to do? or is the more behind unpluging the plug and earthing it somewhere?

If the fan's running constantly from the battery that will be fine to get it home with, just make sure to disconnect it when you get home or you'll flatten your battery. And top the radiator up Wink

You should have driven it home late at night, less traffic, less stopping, less chance of red lights, cooler air. Razz
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:24

computer controlled fan? bollocks!

the AE82/whatever use a thermo switch that "opens" when it reashes the set temperature, when the water is cold the switch is closed, or grounded.

this switch hooks up and controls a normally closed relay, that is a relay that is "off" when you apply power to the coil.

it you unplug the thermo switch, the fan SHOULD turn on. if it does, your switch is fubared, but AFAIK they are designed to fail open, so if it fails, it fails with the fan continuously on.

the switch wire will be a single pin plug which connects to a brass thing that screws into the remote thermostat housing, should be bolted to the top of the gearbox.

To keep the fans on just pull the plug. If they don't turn on its either a relay prob, a blown fuse or both fans are cactus.

Have your in-cabin heater on and its fan up high as well it'll help with radiating the heat from the motor
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k thanks. well i never drove it home today for the same reasons as traffic and temperature. so im gonna pick it up tonight.

last night, i unhooked the plug and nuffin happened so maybe its a fuse or sumfin. i checked the fuses under the bonnet and from wat i can see they were fine. duno if they were the right ones but, maybe a/c fan.
i cant tell wif the other fan relay so ill have to get one and see if it makes a difference. or is there a way i can check if its buggereed?

im thikning about checking if its thermo fan by sticking it into a bucket boiling hot water and seeing if it opens up. but i from wat i read here i dunno if its a thermo problem so might be a waste of time. im only doin it cause my neighbour whos a mechanic said to give it a try.

fans deff work but cause i had em both goin last night wen i was testing different theories.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and hows this for dodgy.
this morning wen i go to check the car out on the way to the beach, the maccas that i left it at got vandalised and had a big sign in the window that was all smashed saying, due to vandalism last night please use other door.

close to getting my car dun over. jus happy i didnt get dun Very Happy

oh, if anyone knows, its at beacon hill maccas. wondering if anyone here owned that white ke30 that pulled in this morning? it was for sale but never got a chance to ask how much. look pretty good too.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JUST GET THE FAN RUNNING BY WHATEVER MEANS, FILL THE RADIATOR WITH WATER AND DRIVE THE FRICKEN THING HOME..

you want someone to hold you hand or something?? Razz
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the vehicle is moving and not too many stops home you dont need a bloody fan anyway.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 19:21

JUST GET THE FAN RUNNING BY WHATEVER MEANS, FILL THE RADIATOR WITH WATER AND DRIVE THE FRICKEN THING HOME..

Maccas will want to charge him rent soon Razz
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 19:26

if the vehicle is moving and not too many stops home you dont need a bloody fan anyway.

Have your heater up on full, take extra fluid for the car, a bottle of coke (or whatever you drink), a good book, keep an eye on the temp gauge and shut the car down and start reading if the temp gets to close to the high mark.
Either that or get a tow.
Either that or start paying rent.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Mon, 03 October 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 17:34

oh and hows this for dodgy.
this morning on my way to the beach, i go past maccas AGAIN.

beach on a monday huh.. tough life... Wink get the car towed, it's only 20 mins
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Tue, 04 October 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 19:21

it woulda been nice to have sum1 holding my hand Razz ahah

Quote:

beach on a monday huh.. tough life... Wink get the car towed, it's only 20 mins

it was a public holiday! eat me Razz ahahahah

Quote:

Maccas will want to charge him rent soon Razz

i was worried that they might tow it or sumfin at sum stage Very Happy lol
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Tue, 04 October 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so anyway, all jokes aside. *can you move over for a second!* Very Happy

i drove it bak late last night. went fine, and im deffinetly glad i got the fan cranking the whole way cause wif luck of the dice, i got stuck at every traffic light on the way home, ands its a mofo cause at those lights that only ever turn red whens theres a car waiting, there wasnt a car waiting!
to make matters worse, even pedestrian lights went red! and wen the light wasnt red, i missed it by a few seconds... it was teasing me cause it would go red jus as i approached, hoping to myself that it would stay gereen for jus that extra few seconds Razz

but anyway, yeh i got it home wif no overheating. went fine. but wat was strange was it barely heated up... is that normal? im talking below a quater for the entire trip... to an extent that wif the a/c on hot, it wouldnt actauly heat up... stayed refreshingly freezing.

well, its at home now, and im free for most this week. uni today, interview thurs. re book dentist.

oh, and i ment to say b4, that i wanna stick the thermo stat in hot water, to see if it opens properly.
but wat are the chances of it being the thermo stat if it made it home, but could it be the thermo stat seeing that it stayed so cool the whole way home? Confused
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Tue, 04 October 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
glad to see you made it home in one piece Very Happy

holiday? i'm not sure i know the meaning of the word Confused

a busted thermostat can make a car take longer to heat up, but can ALSO make it run hot once up to temp. it's a good first place to look...

but you also need to get the fan sorted...pull out the thermofan switch and test it in boiling water at same time as the thermostat... then check fuses and the thermofan relay

good luck!
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Tue, 04 October 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool. will do, thansk alot man.

is the thermo fan switch attached to the thermo stat? if not, where abouts is it located?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! Tue, 04 October 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it is that one... on the remote thermostat housing sitting above the clutch...
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Wed, 05 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i got the thermo stat housing off, and got the thermo stat out. and i got the thermo fan switch out. ill put pics up so newbs like me can know wat they are doing in the future Razz

but wat exactly am i looking for wif the thermo switch? the thermo stat opens under hot water, and was closed wen i took it out, so im assuming that its opening and closing properly. but the switch i dunno about. wat is it supposed to do? Confused
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Wed, 05 October 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so as u know i got the thermo fan switch out. but im buggered on how to test if it works properly.
i really dont know how im going to test it.

but i now also found sum radiator hoses that needs replacing. one hose i think i cut wen removing, the other needs replacing from age.
i also wanna replace the thermo stat cause its old and ceady...

should i go out and use sum garden hose off cuts. lol, that would work, ahahah. jks, but imagine that lol... would be sumfin to laugh at lol

but seriously, how do i test for the thermo fan switch? wat ive got im pretty sure is the switch, it was attached to the stat housing. and it had a cable that runs to it, and piping that has wat i was geussing was a thermometer sort of a thing.??

any further help would be appreciated guys.
thanks in advance again...
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Fri, 07 October 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its going back together today. im replacing the thermo stat jus in case and a couple of hoses.
but i still dunno wat was causing the problem. i dunno how to test the thermo switch, but im gonna try getting a new relay to see if that will make a difference.
sum1 said test the thermo fan switch in the hot water wif the thermo stat, but wat does that do? how is it gonna acheive anything??? im jus gonna get the thermo stat and relay today, then try bleeding it. if it bleeds properly then i know its fixed, cause wen it was f*cked it wouldnt. if it doesnt bleed than it was all a waste of $$...

thanks for ur help guys.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Fri, 07 October 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, where bouts is the bleed bolt on the 4af? to empty the radiator fluid out complety so i can do a flush?

and to do the flush, i jus empty it run a hose through then fill it? im jus looking for that bolt and dunno where to find it on my car...
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Heating Problem! Fri, 07 October 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The drain plug for the radiator is on the passenger side right down at the bottom (of course). It's plastic, undoes with your hands easily.
Run the hose through the radiator, take the top radiator hose off and run it through the block to flush the water out of there too.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Fri, 07 October 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohhhh, i found that but i didnt know how to undo it... was to dark and didnt wanna break it or sumfin trying to work it out.

but i got everything bak together. new hoses, new thermo stat, couldnt find a new relay so i might have to get a genuine one from toyota drirectly, less sum1 knows where i can get it on northern beaches.

thermo stat works, fan works, i dunno about switch but the fan still doesnt turn on.
i ran the engine for bout 10mins and the thermo fan still didnt come on. i havent been successful wif bleeding the radiator yet. so im gonna have to get a relay and give it another shot.

does it matter u reacon that i never flushed it properly? cause my cousin was impatient and went and filled it wif radiator fluid all ready. would be a bummer if i had to loose it all in the end...

thanks guys,
jason
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sat, 08 October 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, i was wondering. if i were to hook up a test light to the thermo switch, to the cabling of that atleast. would i be able to tell if it was sending the signal to the relay to switch on the fan? or does the circuit work differently.

also, if i could do this, is it an open or closed curcuit?
i dunno if thats the right terms, but wat i mean is, does the circuit turn on wen its closed and power is running through, or does it turn on wen its open and powers not running through?

thanks.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! Sat, 08 October 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, umm. does it mean that relay has blown or shorted if it gets relatively warm to hot wen being used?

wen i turn the ignition to 'run' but not actauly kick it over, the fan relay clicks, and after a while of leaving it in the 'run' position, the relay gets pretty warm...

if this isnt the problem causing the fan to not switch on, then im gonna have to replace the thermo fan switch, and see if that fixes it.

if not then im screwed Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay okay, i been hasling you guys a fair bit. but my car has now been off the road for almost a week. im deffinetly over this now, i need it bak.

i was looking at my mates gf's corolla, and ive realised now that the fan i been trying to get running, is the a/c fan. but the problem still stands, the car over heats and the thermo fan doesnt switch on. but its not the relay, so does that only leave the thermo switch that needs to be tested?

and wat would cause the a/c fan to stop? cause the a/c inside the car seems to work perfect, blows air, heats and cools. but the fan doesnt switch on.

wat to test now? im going to try and source a thermo switch over the next few days, but is there anything u guys recommend?

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JUST CHECK THE FUCKING SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or take it to a mechanic Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 19:41

JUST CHECK THE FUCKING SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or take it to a mechanic Razz

HOW DO I CHECK THE SWITCH! Crying or Very Sad Thats why im still stuck, if i knew i would have tried it already. lol. I must have asked like 3-4 times... haha
oldcorollas, one last favour, plzzz lol, how do i check it? im dieing here Crying or Very Sad ahhahahaha Razz

i cant afford a mechanic, but i got the shits that hard hey Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it out, check if it has continuity.
then stick it in boiling water and check what temp it changes at... then try connecting the wire that goes to the switch, to ground and see if the fan turns on.

did you try to power the RADIATOR fan directly yet???

all you need to do is think a bit...

fan doesn't work, check fan works when powered. if it doesn'tm it's fucked.
if it does, check you have power at the "relay power in" wire (ie the power from the fuse).

then check the wire between the realay power OUT and the fan for continuity.

if thats all good, check the power to the relay for the switching coil.. if thats good, check the continuity for the coil;s switched ground, between the relay and the thrmoswitch. if that is good, and the fan turns on when you ground it/unground it, then your switch is fucked...
check switch as mentioned..

remember switch needs to have ELECTRICAL contact with the thermostat housing, and the thermostat housing itself needs to be grounded also.

and for your other problem, try Metamucil twice a day, or see your doctor....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the easier way instead of me writing all that would have been to RTFM,.,.,, why not just look it up in your cars manual?? if you don't have one, wtf are you doing trying to fix things on it???

learn to afford a mechanic Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Sun, 09 October 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, i beda get a book i geuss Razz
cause i like to fix shit myself, im trying to learn here lol, u gotta start sumwhere, its better doin it urself.
now i can install sound systeems. i could do a clutch if sum1 watched over me, to make sure i do infact sorta know wat im doin. i can do brakes, and suspension. i can do services. lol, its not alot but its getting there Razz

give me a break Very Happy

well, as a matter of fact, i jus joined the 'EMPLOYED' team again. so i will be able to afford mechanics. but im still gonna do it myself Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Mon, 10 October 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas said

and for your other problem, try Metamucil twice a day, or see your doctor....

lol, you bastard Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Mon, 10 October 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 19:51

i cant afford a mechanic, but i got the shits that hard hey Razz

Laughing Laughing
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Wed, 12 October 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, i know, i know, i want this thread dead as badly as any of you here. but i worked on the car again today. got the nrma guy to have a look at it whilst he was here, he had no idea wat was going on. i dont think it is the thermo switch, so im not gonna remove it just yet.

i replaced the relay wif a friends relay and the thermo fan never came on. but i found another relay that clicks at the same time as the fan relay. so im thinking that maybe these two are interlinked sumhow. ones an a/c fan, and ones the thermo fan. i might try replacing the two of them wif a mate and see if i make more progress that way?

i tried linking the relay up wif a wire, to see if the fan would come on wen the car was hot. but the wire melted. so that didnt quite work.
but it sorta did wat u guys said it should of, wen i removed the wire that goes to the thermo switch, the fan came on, but wen i connected it again it went off.

seeing that i tried a working relay, i think i can illiminate that. but do u reacon its safe to hook up a wire in replace of the relay? like a higher power handling one that will last untill the car heats up?

This is wat i think, i think that the relay box has issues, cause that same relay, wen i hooked up a wire in replace of the actual relay, turned on the a/c fan and the thermo fan (in different combinations that is). and it would seem that the problem has spread to both fans. neither will turn on...

i dun think its a good idea for me to try opening the box up, but hey? i never think things through b4 i do em...

-------
jason
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Wed, 12 October 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
F*CK IT!!
its goin to the mechanic tomorrow, i need it for work on fri and cannot work this crap out for the sake of me!

thanks for ur help anyway everyone...
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Heating Problem! **Help Needed** Thu, 13 October 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
you unplugged the thero switch and the fan spun?!

that means the switch is fubar! get a new switch!
provided that is the car had temp and the fan should have been running.

AFAIK the thermo switch limits the continuity of earth to the fan. More heat the more 'earth' the switch lets through to the fan untill the fan turns on. Or the switch hits a certain temp and then lets power through. Hence unplugging the wire removes the limiting switch.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke35 gearboxes
Next Topic:Nevo pulley
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:10:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095031261444092 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.