Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GZ20TT
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Mon, 03 October 2005 07:05 Go to next message
Hi,
the missus has a 2000 Liberty auto, which we've had for 2 years or so.
For a while, when you first put it in drive, you'd need to prod the accelerator just a touch and then it would sort-of jump into forward motion. You'd hit the accel, there would be nothing - the engine free-revved a bit, then drive would engage. Once going though, it was fine, shifting smoothly etc.

Anyhow - on the weekend - it had a REALLY hard time getting going after being started for the first time. It would start moving in reverse OK, but didn't want to go forwards at all - either in park, 1, 2, 3 or drive. We did the usual - turn off, restart, jiggle the gear lever in case it was a bad sensor etc - and it finally got going - time to get it sorted.

We rang a local (ex-subaru dealer) service place and they said to take it to Subaru Service and to ask for a "good-will" price on the gearbox replacement as it was a known fault. When we got the car to Subaru - they did not aknowledge the "known fault" but put in a good-will form anyway. We're pretty sure we mentioned the issue to Subaru when we last sent it there for a service (back when we still had a warranty) - but they didn't have it on record.

Now - to the point.
Anyone know of a user group/forum where I may find info as to whether the gearbox is known fault or not? This is in case they knock back the good-will price. We're up for a full gearbox replacement and it's nearly $4K.
Google (well the string I used) hasn't turned up a site that has what I want - Can anyone help?

Frankie
  Send a private message to this user    
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Mon, 03 October 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check fluid level!if ok and fluid has been changed every 20k km's then there is crap in the stally!which needs to be cut open and cleaned!
mick
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Mon, 03 October 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try the MRT forums at:

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/

Alot of Subaru owners there.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Mon, 03 October 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As mick said.. aren't something like 90% of automatic transmission problems fluid related?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Mon, 03 October 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try the Liberty RS forum or any WRX forum.
The auto boxes are the same for the turbos & NA engines.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Tue, 04 October 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Except for the STI, but i think you will notive a little bit of a price difference there Very Happy Wink
GZ20TT
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Tue, 04 October 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone,
I've posted a thread at MRT - it came up in a search, but I didn't look further to see that they had a section on the auto gearboxes in their advanced tech section.

I'll keep you informed.

Frankie
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Tue, 04 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 08:12

Except for the STI, but i think you will notive a little bit of a price difference there Very Happy Wink

They don't make an auto STI though do they?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Subaru Auto Gearbox Help Tue, 04 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous message
I think the STi Forester's were only available with an auto, but that's it (& they wouldn't be different to the normal auto anyway)

The only STi manual box that's expensive is the current 6 speeder, the rest are either identical to the normal WRX box, or were released in later WRX's anyway.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much am i looking at for a 100kw 4AGE?
Next Topic:How many toyota's have you got around your house?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:06:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057868957519531 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.