Toymods » General Car Talk » A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 00:22 Go to next message
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/special/fchv/fchv_2.htm l

The car (suv?)
wieghs 1860kg!!!!

gets 300km range with a max speed of 155km/h

Fuel cell stack puts out 90kw
Permanenet magnet motor puts out 80kw and 194ft-lbs of torque.

Toyota embarked on the fuel cell car back in 1992

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 00:29]

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's interesting that it's based on the same layout as the petrol hybrid.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best thing about that article is toyota making extensive use of aluminium... could be promising for future performance cars from toyota!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my only snag is the wieght of that thing! shit!!

The body itself probably isn't all that heavy, instead the fuel cell/hydrogen systems/electric motor and secondaary battery all adding up the 1800+kg's!

I wonder how long until they come out with a fuel cell roadbike. It will have to happen eventually.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll find most modern SUVs weigh that much.. example: ford territory, Toyota prado, Pajero and pathfinder all weigh in at over 2100kgs
meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dingaling read this
http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/4083/
there actually is a electric bike thats been produced i couldnt find it tho

unrelated but cool none the less
http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/3258/
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its been done dude:
Fuel Cell Bike:
http://www.palcan.com/s/ArticlesAndComments.asp?Re portID=42916&_Type=Articles&_Title=Canadas -Palcan-Fuel-Cell-Bike

Quote:

The world's first purpose-built hydrogen-powered bike could be fitted with an artificial "vroom" because of worries its silence might be dangerous.
LOL
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4353853.st m
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 10:44

best thing about that article is toyota making extensive use of aluminium... could be promising for future performance cars from toyota!

'cept they'd be front wheel drive with 1.0ltr engines and weight 1500kg.
lol.

Why did they make their new fuel cell vehicle an SUV? Sad I hate SUVs... and now I have to hate fuel cells be association.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 11:39

'cept they'd be front wheel drive with 1.0ltr engines and weight 1500kg.
lol.

Why did they make their new fuel cell vehicle an SUV? Sad I hate SUVs... and now I have to hate fuel cells be association.

American market and the fact you need a large vehicle to stick the fuel cell shit into. The GM motors stuff is just a flat base and any body style with the same length shell can be put on it.
The germans have a few fuel cell buses running round and they work well as you have a large flat area to throw the fuel cell in.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meeves,illuminatus
awesome links! it also answered my question about diesel motorbikes! (interesting to see a 700hp hyabusa on there too!)
Well i know what i'm saving up for now, i just hope they come to market soon! (electric bike that is.)
dammit we need hydrogen infrastructure dammit!

also interesting and i did not know this:

"Because of the power usability and excellent off line acceleration characteristics of electric motors the general rule of thumb to convert to petrol engines is to times by three. For example if you have a 10kw electric motor and want to compete with a petrol engine, a 30kw engine is necessary."

So that 80kw electric motor would feel more like a 220kw petrol engine. very rouph estimate no doubt.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats prob at the fly wheel.
im not sure how much power is lost though the drive train of an electric motor as they dont have gearboxes.

but dont forget that from a normal wall socket u get 2400 watts only, so 80kw would be a stupid amount of power! i sort of doubt any passenger car will ever have that much power, mayb HUGE boats or trains of the future, but seems un-efficeint.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:05

but dont forget that from a normal wall socket u get 2400 watts only, so 80kw would be a stupid amount of power! i sort of doubt any passenger car will ever have that much power, mayb HUGE boats or trains of the future, but seems un-efficeint.

Nark

Hey all,
IS350 GT (220 + 125 = 345kW)
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/48341.jpg

LS500 GT (296 + 147 = 443kW)
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/48339.jpg

Hmmm 125 kw and 147 kw electric motors respectively so what were you saying again.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they actual real cars?
or just drawing of future projects?? Prove it.

but i guess i did make a mistake by forgetting that there is a diff between mechanical power and electrical power.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:23

are they actual real cars?
or just drawing of future projects?? Prove it.

but i guess i did make a mistake by forgetting that there is a diff between mechanical power and electrical power.

Will be real cars soon enough. Wink
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 06 October 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*droolz* dam those cars are a wet dream.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Fri, 07 October 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

future performance cars from toyota!

You've got hopes Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Fri, 07 October 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm staying optimistic Smile
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Fri, 07 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've seen the future, and it's all downhill from here....washing machines and microwaves.... Laughing Laughing Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Fri, 07 October 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:05

thats prob at the fly wheel.
im not sure how much power is lost though the drive train of an electric motor as they dont have gearboxes.

Hybrids do have gearboxes. CVT boxes. I think a CVT about as much if not more than a regular automatic gearbox.

EDIT: HOWEVER! A CVT is actualy a touch quicker than a manual gearbox, due to the car staying in it's power band (even if the peak power at the wheels is less, it's ALLWAYS AT that peak power).

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 06:19]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 13 October 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Yamaha Gen-RYU hybrid motorcycle:
Quote:

Yamaha is dropping no less than 9 world premiere models on the 39th Tokyo Motor Show coming up later this month. Of special note to us is the Gen-Ryu hybrid motorcycle prototype (damn!) which combines the YZF-R6 600cc engine with a high output, high efficiency electric motor. Combine that with some fat wheels and that long wheelbase and you've got a machine said to perform and handle like a "1,000cc class machine."

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/news/2005/10/ 05/tms.html

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 03:33]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 13 October 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow awesome! good find!
I must have one! must sell everything i own and have one imported asap! and make a hydrogen generator!

I'm confident toyota have some of the best engine heads in the business with yamaha behind them. Yamaha kick ass!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Thu, 13 October 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
April 1985
Signed a development contract with Ford (USA) for high-performance engines.

Nov..
Yamaha's first Water Vehicle marketed.

Jul.
French motorcycle manufacturer, MBK Industrie joined Yamaha group.

Jul.
Production of DOHC "SHO" engine for Ford Motor Co. in the USA.
Showa Works and Shimba-shibori merge, name changed to SOQI, Inc.

Jan.
Jointly developed a new car engine with Cosworth Engineering of U.K. for F3000 racing.

Interesting, and so that explians why cosworth were kick arse back in the day!

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A good read on toyota fuel cell vehicles Fri, 21 October 2005 03:40 Go to previous message
The first Diesel Superbike: the Star Twin ThunderStar 1200 TDI

http://www.gizmag.com.au/pictures/hero/4273_14070555922.jpg

full specs: http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/4273/
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:This is why you dont drift a torana...
Next Topic:re: post by Kravit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:45:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097658634185791 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.