Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 02:42 Go to next message
I just got this email supposedly from PayPal....

Quote:

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal Account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was hijacked by third parties without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you. However if you are the rightful holder of the account,click on the link below to log into the account and follow the instructions.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security -center-outside

If you choose not to complete the request, you give us no choice but to suspend your account temporary.

It takes at least 72 hours for the investigation in this case and we strongly recommend you to verify your account at that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as an other PayPal user.Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related attempts to missapropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request or law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

PayPal Account Review Department.

It looks pretty legit with the logos etc, and sounds fairly reasonable, but when you hover the mouse over the link (in the email) without clicking on it and look at the URL down the bottom of the browser it says "www.hoaianh.info" which, I understand, means it is a fake, if it was a real PayPal site it would say https//www.paypal....etc. So I went to the Paypal webpage the way I normally do in a new window rather than clicking the link and they say if there is any suspicious activity they will call you, not send an email.

Has anyone else received one of these and had the misfortune of clicking on the link?

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 02:48]

Send a private message to this user    
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep get them fairly regularly, along with the bank ones.

things to note: if any business that has some of your senstivite details emails you to log in - automatically suspect, and as you have stated, check the properties of every link in the email to make sure they are genuine. raw ip addresses address are a dead giveaway.

edit: the images in the email may still be sourced from the genuine web site, but the links are concern.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 03:03]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a few fake ebay emails.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I got one of these from paypall. I deleted it, as it's not really from paypall. Who cares if they delete my account? I'll just make another one if I have to.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paypal wouldnt give a shit where you logged into your account from. they would logg all the IP address's for your account incase of any legal action that needs to take place if you screw them over.

you dont get emails from banks when you use netbank from another computer?

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just enter a few hundred bogus username / password combinations into their fake website so that their list is 99% rubbish.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

PayPal will always put your user name at the top of their email. If the email says "Dear PayPal member" then it's a fake and should be ignored.

seeyuzz
river
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from the rest of this post,RE: fake emails.
Just a quick question about Paypal.
Is it basically a safe method of payment?
Just that I have been to some sites that require it for payments.
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Warning fraudulent Paypal emails Thu, 06 October 2005 23:49 Go to previous message
Apart from the dodgy link and lack of a personalised greeting, I would have thought that the atrocious spelling and grammar would have given the game away.

But I suppose not everyone would appreciate such subtleties Rolling Eyes

Hi-Ace, I have used PayPal to make a fair few payments (mostly overseas) and haven't had any trouble. It is probably as good as you are going to get for online payments.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Not your average car horn
Next Topic:for the computer know it alls
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:19:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058369636535645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.