Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » building an air conditioner.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 09:21 Go to next message
Hey everyone.

Every year i try and build a dodgy air conditioner and they slightly work but are never that great, and they slowly get more complex each year.

I thought i may run this years design by you guys and see what you think, it may not be build but i was just thinking.

OK so most air conditioners work by compressing a gas then cooling it back to room temp, then when the gas decompresses it is colder right?

Well what if i compress air into a old stock IC lying around with a fan on it. then put a little spray nozzle to spray the compressed air (thus uncompressing it) into my bed room? It wouldn't be awesome but it should work a bit? whats the thoughts
  Send a private message to this user    
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds interesting but some what complex some how.. trying to imagine it.

have you got it together or is it a thought?
any sketches???
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would be cheaper for you to get a proper window-mounted airconditioner than muck around trying to do it on the cheap.

Air is nothing like the gas used in aircon systems - and the pressure they work at is not going to be contained in an intercooler Wink

If you wanted to be geeky, adapt a car conditioning system - but unless you can get proper regrigerant gas, then forget it.

Go to a discount electrical goods place - i wouldn't be surprised to see Aldi seeling them.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
surely you could even pick up someting second hand for not too mny dollars..

but yeah i like the idea of dodgying up a car air con, perhaps you could attach the compressor to a hampster wheel and get a hampster to drive it Razz
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look up how an air conditioner works on howstuffworks.com
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: building an air conditioner. Thu, 06 October 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bear in mind you can pick up a cheapie for around $300 now, is it really worth it?
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: building an air conditioner. Fri, 07 October 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheapest aircon = wet hessian sack.
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: building an air conditioner. Sat, 08 October 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr is not alone in his endeavours - some crazy Canadian engineering student has spent waaaay too much time on his little project ...

Take a look here.

Hehehe
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha ha, i have tried the hessian sack too. anyway i was thinking now in just throwing the IC into a bucket o ice and blowing air though it, should be able to all sit in the room then Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 19:21

Hey everyone.

Every year i try and build a dodgy air conditioner and they slightly work but are never that great, and they slowly get more complex each year.

I thought i may run this years design by you guys and see what you think, it may not be build but i was just thinking.

OK so most air conditioners work by compressing a gas then cooling it back to room temp, then when the gas decompresses it is colder right?

Well what if i compress air into a old stock IC lying around with a fan on it. then put a little spray nozzle to spray the compressed air (thus uncompressing it) into my bed room? It wouldn't be awesome but it should work a bit? whats the thoughts

might work if you compressed the air to a liquid Wink

get an old fridge, carefull rip the guts out of it, stick the compressore and hot coils outside, and the cooling coils inside...

nah, just get a cheap air con unit... better to get one with the tube that expels the hot air outside, otherwise you are just moving heat aroudn the room... i remember seeing them from about $300 at "Good Guys" last year.. better to spend the 300 upfrontm and then start modifying Razz make it more efficient!!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For $50 I can sell you the compressor side of a split system! Its all gased and ready to go. You just need to build the other end which should be easy for a person like yourself Smile
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pic's or i guess i could just pop round to see it sometime....
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fly south for the summer? (antarctica is nice that time of year if you dont mind a bit of cabin fever)
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just buy one!there so bloody cheap now,ijust bought a couple of inverter splits for the farm,one 6.0kw($1700) and a 7.3kw{$2100}both with 5 year warranty.or just make an evaprative.
mick
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: building an air conditioner. Sun, 09 October 2005 21:14 Go to previous message
ndgcpr wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 21:14

Pic's or i guess i could just pop round to see it sometime....

Yeah just pop around.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Top Gun - Motorbike
Next Topic:Living in Hobart
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:19:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057010650634766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.