Toymods » Tech & Conversions » need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EMD-RA60
Occasional Poster

February 2005
need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 07 October 2005 15:04 Go to next message
my 82 celica keeps stalling when the revs drop below 500rpm, including while driving. the battery/charge light is also on. its feeling sluggish and the exhaust also occasionaly makes a popping sound.
can any one help, i need the car to drive to mallala tomorrow
thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 07 October 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the popping is probably the engine backfiring.

it sounds like your cars massivley out of tune.

and im pretty sure any car would stall at 500 rpm, ive never seen an engine drop that low.

the battery/charge light is most probably the alternator or battery.

chuck a multimeter over the terminals while the car is running to see if your altinator is busted, it should read 13-14 Volts.

for more help, ask more detailed questions Smile

Eldar.O.
EMD-RA60
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 07 October 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help EldarO

it only started happening when i drove it about half and hour ago, it was totally fine before that.

it doesn't drop to 500rpm then cough and stuff, then stall. the needle just keeps going down and the engine stops.

the alternator is a reconditioned one put in not long ago and the battery connections look fine.

the battery level in my car shows about 12 when its normally closer to 18

4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 07 October 2005 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMD-RA60 wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 01:20

it doesn't drop to 500rpm then cough and stuff, then stall. the needle just keeps going down and the engine stops.

i have the exact same problem with my 4age.. usually happens when engine gets just over half way on the temp guage

will be interested to see what the problem is and if anyone knows how to fix it

chris
EMD-RA60
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 07 October 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agerolla wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 01:22

EMD-RA60 wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 01:20

i have the exact same problem with my 4age.. usually happens when engine gets just over half way on the temp guage

chris

mine does it no matter where the temperature is. Confused
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sat, 08 October 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, if it happens ALL the time not just sometimes, my celica used to do that, my best guess (and what solved it for me) is your battery.

Under 500rpm the engine isnt turning fast enough to use your alternator to give you spark, and your battery's volts are fine (perhaps a little low) but i'm sure its just dead, and cant give enough current (Amps, not volts). if you have access to another car for half an hour, swap batteries and see if it helps. if it does, buy a new battery Very Happy

edit: as for u 4agerolla, thats just whacked.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 October 2005 03:55]

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sat, 08 October 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tune up is a must. Check your plugs, plug gaps, dizzy cap, points(if it's not electric), leads, and timing. Mixtures on the carby if you can on those motors - I don't know if the mixture screw is capped off.

How's the fuel economy?
sagluren
Regular

May 2005

Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sat, 08 October 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I quick solver if it is the battery, take it for a long drive say an hour or so, and relativly hig speeds, 80kph and above, if the alternator is working properly then the long drive should charge the battery (if in good condition) the battery is in bad condition, then get new battery and while you are at it, a good tune would be great.

New dizzy cap, leads, spark plug. and sort out gap and engine timing, providing you dont have and engine managment system or what not there really isnt much more that can go wrong.(touch wood) and your problem will be gone.

Sam.
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sat, 08 October 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sagluren wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 17:23

I quick solver if it is the battery, take it for a long drive say an hour or so, and relativly hig speeds, 80kph and above, if the alternator is working properly then the long drive should charge the battery (if in good condition) the battery is in bad condition, then get new battery and while you are at it, a good tune would be great.
Sam.

not if the batteries as stuffed as mine was, lol.
toyota_XT130
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sun, 09 October 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GG ben....1GG 1GG...

hey someone donate a 1GG engine to this guy....has to be working ho otherwise its useless....

come on.....
u can have my 7mge if ur preped to wait untill i can afford a conversion....
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Sun, 09 October 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u tried switching on elctrical to see if its worst? like is wipers wiping very slow or power window goes very slow? is lights dim? if so its possibly alt dead, or check the alt belt for condition and tension
EMD-AE86
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Mon, 10 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that a tune may be in order. Also, if the car gets to below 500rpm then shouldnt you change your idle speed?, because im sure that if my car went below 500rpm it would stall too. Good luck
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Mon, 10 October 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats wierd about my situation is that it only started to do this frequently after my 200k service... it had done it before this but its become more frequent afterwards, we get all our cars serviced at this mechanic and have done for many years so im sure they didnt "try" to mess anything up if at all they did...

interesting u mention the dizzy cap, because mine leaks a little oil from there, do you think that could be the problem??
cheers

chris

edit: i dont think its the idle speed because normaly it will idle at around 900rpm and only when it warms up a fair bit will the revs drop dramatically after the revs drop from over about 3000rpm.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 15:40]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Mon, 10 October 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know, oil conducts electricity fairly well.

now, imagine your points swimming in water?

that cant be good can it?

take your dizzy cap off and pull off your rotor and take a good look at it and your points inside the dizzy cap.

id hate to imagine what an engine would act like if it ignited on the compression stroke...

Eldar.O.
GA61XX
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 11 November 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you a member of the Adelaide Classic Celica Club?
If not why not? Rolling Eyes
I can help you tune your motor if it needs it!
The 21R is my motor of choice for CHEEP POWER! Very Happy
ae86_boy
Regular

August 2004
Re: need help quick, engine stalling under 500rpm Fri, 11 November 2005 07:09 Go to previous message
i had this exact same problem in my Sprinter, turns out it was just a fuse, maybe have a look there. Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gte rotor button
Next Topic:BAD LAG on my 1G with a T04S.. What do I do?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:41:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052609443664551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.