Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » camry sv20/21 questions, please help.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
madeofmilo
Newcomer

October 2005
camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Mon, 10 October 2005 00:58 Go to next message
G'day guys, how are you all?

I just recently 2 weeks ago bought my first toyota. A 1990 camry wagon (is that a sv20 or sv21?). I actually got it as my daily driver. Because as well all know toyotas are great cars.

I have a starion (old school mitsubishi) as my weekend car. However after drving the camry, the old beast goes well. I thought I wouldn't mind just giving her some extra punch.

What modifications would you recommend and rough pricing.

I am considering a 2 1/2 exhaust. Any other options?

Love the site guys.

Cheers Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Mon, 10 October 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems toyota knew best when they designed the exuast systems on these engines, many have played around with exuast sizing and come out with crappy gains, or worse ones ruining the power curve.

If you want more punch you should look into a 3sge or gte, bolt straight into your camry, the engines can be had cheap if you look around. Abit of wiring will be needed, possible changing driveshafts too if you end up using a different gearbox.

The price of a custom exuast could buy you a gen2 3sge (117kw or thereabouts)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Mon, 10 October 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find a V6 one Razz
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Mon, 10 October 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte manifoold, ct26, 3sgte oil pan, 3sgte injectors, new fuel pump, safc2 a few pipes

low boost, away we go!

youll be getting around the old 2vz v6 power mark, with a lighter front end.
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Tue, 11 October 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 13:00

Seems toyota knew best when they designed the exuast systems on these engines, many have played around with exuast sizing and come out with crappy gains, or worse ones ruining the power curve.

Well with a degree or 2 of timing, airfliter and 2inch exaust my SV21 went from 60Kw's ATW to 75Kw's......

Quote:

If you want more punch you should look into a 3sge or gte, bolt straight into your camry, the engines can be had cheap if you look around. Abit of wiring will be needed, possible changing driveshafts too if you end up using a different gearbox.

Is this what you call "Bolt straight in" with a bit of wiring......???????

camryGT? wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 21:17

There is a few hassles fitting the motor
The sway bar bracket gets in the way of the oil filter. bit of help from a welder and a grinder and there is enough room to get a remote oil kit on it and put the filter somewhere else.
The engine mounts in the camry are to soft for that much torque and the inlet manifold will put a dint in the clutch master cylinder the first time you boot it. Weld heaps of metal into the front one. The rear mount for the 4 cyl box doesn'st fit on the V6 box but the GT4 one does. you will need to drill new holes in the cross member thou. the Drive shafts need to be custom made on both sides with V6 inners and 4 cyl outers and they are shorter than the v6 shalfs from the widebody. About $1000 there. the bracket which holds the V6 intermediate shaft to the back of the block needs to come from an MR2 turbo, the 4 cly one is way too small for those shafts and the V6 one is totally the wrong shape. Costs about $120 from toyota and 6 weeks shipping from Japan.
the side gearbox mount needs to come from the GT4 the 4 cyl camry one won't fit. The exhaust needs to be custom made or at least welded somewhere. also 3 inch pipes don't fit under that camry without reshaping the rear crossmember with a hammer
heaps of wiring needs to be done as well to get the ecu going from the halfcut. and the V6 box has an electric speedo sender and the sv21 has a mechanical speedo so a bit of a pain there as well.
the bracket for the selector cables needs to be modified or you can't get 1st very well or reverse at all.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

For ppl without a search engine go here for a 3SGTE install:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=46370&start=0&rid=2025&S=7b2acea334a 05d1f607b2928dc6e79af

And here for an ordinary 3SFE:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=201296&rid=2025&S=7b2acea334a05d1f607b 2928dc6e79af
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Tue, 11 October 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 06:53]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Tue, 11 October 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Well with a degree or 2 of timing, airfliter and 2inch exaust my SV21 went from 60Kw's ATW to 75Kw's......"

I'd have to see a dyno sheet to beleive that. (not saying it's not possible)

"Is this what you call "Bolt straight in" with a bit of wiring......???????"

Would help if you mentioned what engien they were talking about, sounds to me like there just having a bitch of a time putting the camry v6 box in.

The 3sge fits quite snuggly into the apollo (sv21) without needing to do any of what you quoted. Abit of wiring yes, wiring a beams 3sge in place of a 4age would be harder. (but not that hard with diagrams)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Tue, 11 October 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 05:35

3sgte manifoold, ct26, 3sgte oil pan, 3sgte injectors, new fuel pump, safc2 a few pipes

low boost, away we go!

If only it was that easy...
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Tue, 11 October 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceman wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 16:51

For ppl without a search engine go here for a 3SGTE install:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=46370&start=0&rid=2025&S=7b2acea334a 05d1f607b2928dc6e79af

Sorry was this not specific enough?........... Do u read posts or just imagine what they would say?

I have the dyno sheet, the web space i used for it is not valid any more so i'll put it somewhere else and have it back up soon.

My point is.....
dingaling wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 13:00

If you want more punch you should look into a 3sge or gte, bolt straight into your camry,....

if u don't know anything use the SEARCH button and keep ur mouth shut!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Wed, 12 October 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may think your pretty good, i think your fuckin upyourself.

3sge into sv21 i can talk from exp. GTE no, but still your first class asshole. (the fact they are 3s engines means they are relativly bolt straight in.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 00:36]

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Wed, 12 October 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, oh, I'm sorry........... Go cry somewhere else.

mrshin wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 20:46

terra wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 05:35

low boost, away we go!

If only it was that easy...

Obviously i'm not the only one who thought the "GTE-drop-in" was a bit harder than described.....

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 01:09]

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Wed, 12 October 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 10:11

the fact they are 3s engines means they are relativly bolt straight in.

That is a BIG generalisation..... Some may slot in with only half a day's work but others take alot longer. Did u even go and read the tread i listed??

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 01:22]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry sv20/21 questions, please help. Wed, 12 October 2005 02:27 Go to previous message
I think you need to settle down. Don't get so riled up.

You like to cuase argument, which makes having a decent/contructive conversation fuckin pointless.

But yes i checked out that thread (briefly), i will have a better look at it when i get home from work.

But your basis of argument is a fuckin personal preferenace, what you may find hard and take a whole day to do (becuase you lack skills/ tools or other) could turn out to be much easier for me. Or whatever. But again as i originally said putting in a GE or GTE would be the way to go and best option for the original poster to get more power.

Just quite your arguing and show me your dyno sheet. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need help with rear lights on a ke55
Next Topic:20valve/16valve
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:17:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007174015045166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.