Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 07:52 Go to next message
Similar to my Living in Hobart thread..

Ive got an interview monday morning with a Sydney based company and i need to know a bit about the place before i migrate over that way and accept the position..

Looking for a 1 Bedroom Studio Type Apartment in a plush area for around $300 a week. Parking for 1 Car is a Must.

Ive been looking around North Sydney and i quite like what i see, however the company is located South near Kingsford Smith so I would hope to find something around that way (South East Suburbs)

Low Crime Rate is a must. Security a Must. So nowhere near Redfern K!

Where should i be looking?

Thanks for your help Sydneysiders!

Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
near the airport??

i vote the bottom end of king street in Newtown... like "sydney park apartments" about that price range, 2 pools, gym, tennis courts, underground parking.... and about 5-10 minutes to airport Wink
was great for the last minute dash Razz

there are quite a few new developments in that area... newtown/st peters/alexandria...
300/weeek gets you a big 1 bed on high floor with good city night views (the night view is worth a little extra compared to looking at a nearby wall Razz) ie north side, near top floor etc..

anyway, around tempe, stpeters, alex, newtown.. all good and close to airport, close to restaurants and newtown...

you don't want to be too far away as traffic does suck, even for short distances... and you don't want to be too far south Razz
(or east.. takes ages to get to airport from kingsford/randwick/coogee)

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will get sick of paying the toll on the bridge and having to commute through the heart of the city every day.

Granted it should only take about 20mins once you cross the bridge, but the main pain will be getting across the bridge.

If you like that area might want to check out pyrmont, glebe or the rocks. Might struggle with parking through.

EDIT: Another more viable option may be randwick, coogee, maroubra, bondi. Close to the beach, avoids the city traffic and close to the airport. May impose the 'tourist' tax though. I reckon that is the best place if you want to live somewhere nice, with parking and be close to the airport.

Newtown is full of hippies, the artistic types and raving homosexuals, you will love it.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 09:07]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 19:03

You will get sick of paying the toll on the bridge and having to commute through the heart of the city every day.

Granted it should only take about 20mins once you cross the bridge, but the main pain will be getting across the bridge.

If you like that area might want to check out pyrmont, glebe or the rocks. Might struggle with parking through.

ahh yes.... either tunnel or bridge toll everyday (you would go tunnel and eastern distributor tho, so make that two tolls per day!! about?? $6-7 each day?)

traffic around northen suburbs sucks badly... i think a higher proportion of people drive from there because public transport is so lacking, and of course they want to drive their flashy car from their expensive house to their expensive inner city parking spot Razz

pyrmont is good for the city life, close, but not too close.. annandale eetc.. but these are all a fair way away from the airport, and you could easily commute 30-40 mins just to get across the suburbs... getting anywhere in sydney durign peak hour(s) suxors...
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toll is charged one way to the city

newtown is still a trashy rough area

pyrmont is good if u can get an apartment with parking thats a fair fetched price

why not try greensquare or moore park?
they have some new apartments out there and abit quiter from the city
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, i'd agree with around the newtown area, heaps of developments have just being built and still going Very Happy

If you're into the freaky goth thing, king street on friday/saturday nights is Shocked
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a shedload of new apartments going in and most completed at Wooli Creek that may be an option. They look pretty decent from the train line, have no idea on the cost though.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poh_86 wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 19:35

toll is charged one way to the city

newtown is still a trashy rough area

pyrmont is good if u can get an apartment with parking thats a fair fetched price

why not try greensquare or moore park?
they have some new apartments out there and abit quiter from the city

yah, but toll is charged southbound on the bridge/tunnel... AND northbound in the eastern distributor... no way you take the bridge from south if you are coming along anzac parade...

come to think of it, pyrmont is pretty quick too, since you just go down harris st, and then relatively major roads down the back of alex...

meh, newtown proper is of course... but the east side of newtown (in what is vaguely called alexandria) is where most "nice" apartment blocks are going up...

moore park area is... a construction zone Wink and will be for many years.... sucks to have trucks outside your window every day...

from greensquare to sydney park is my pick for airport workers (heaps of aircrew live around there also)

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newtown sounds vaguely familiar... isnt that next to chippendale? where USYD is? chippendale was a hole.. dont wanna be near there. im into new development stuff. ive lived in east perth for quite a bit which is all redeveloped and lush (check the pics in my supra thread which are taken 100m down the road from my house for an example)

id rather be a bit away from the city. job is in Botany (right next door to the airport..) so id be lookin somewhere round there.

whats taren point and oyster bay like?

and yeah. i wanna avoid tolls where i can. stupid RTA.. Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 10:48]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wooli creek is very close to the airport.
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mascot

Crime rate not too bad, traffic good most of the time, you'd do well with $300 to blow on rent there and it's super-close to airport.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pLaYa_OnE wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 23:49

Mascot

Crime rate not too bad, traffic good most of the time, you'd do well with $300 to blow on rent there and it's super-close to airport.

zif you'd wanna live south of gardeners road Razz Laughing Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 18:53

near the airport??

i vote the bottom end of king street in Newtown... like "sydney park apartments" about that price range, 2 pools, gym, tennis courts, underground parking.... and about 5-10 minutes to airport Wink
was great for the last minute dash Razz

there are quite a few new developments in that area... newtown/st peters/alexandria...
300/weeek gets you a big 1 bed on high floor with good city night views (the night view is worth a little extra compared to looking at a nearby wall Razz) ie north side, near top floor etc..

anyway, around tempe, stpeters, alex, newtown.. all good and close to airport, close to restaurants and newtown...

you don't want to be too far away as traffic does suck, even for short distances... and you don't want to be too far south Razz
(or east.. takes ages to get to airport from kingsford/randwick/coogee)

i used to know a top bloke that lived near sydney park,then he got a job overseas and bought a 4x4 car and drinks loads of sake.pretty smart guy aswell,getting close to being as smart as me!hahahahahahahah
mick
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Living in Sydney Tue, 11 October 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With all the info you have provided I would highly recomend Liverpool! Laughing

Id go randwick mate,newtown is full of alternative wanabees that think cause they dress badly they are making some sort of statement Very Happy Saying that,there is no better place to be than around that UNI for women Shocked I nearly stack the car everytime the big class change happens..

Have you ever lived in Syd before?If not I would get as close to work as possible as most people cant handle the traffic and the pace of the place and end up heading home after 6-12 months..
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Living in Sydney Wed, 12 October 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i took a drive through newtown last time i was over there and wasnt impressed. not that ive got anything against fags and man-love but it seemed that every second mirl/moman was giving me the eyes and i was like, seriously. fuck off.

i havent lived in syd before.. have lived in melb though and i dont really like sitting in the car for more than an hour getting home (used to take me 1hr 40min to get from lonsdale st to punt road just past the mcg.. then 10 mins to get home from there in prahran!).. mind you ive done a lot of endurance driving.. nullarbor 5 times.. ade-mel 27 times.. ade-syd 2 times.. yadda yadda.. so i shouldnt have a major issue with it. the problem will be doing it every day which is why im trying to keep within a band of suburbs of the office.

ive been looking at taren point / oyster bay area as far as a house goes (because you never know i might want a backyard to start a project in!).. this looks quite nice and quaint.. whats traffic like on taren point bridge heading north around the bay past tempe?

honestly i think im well past the young party age so the areas with heaps of young folks might be a bit of an overload for me now i think, im on the high side of the 20s now so im in settle down mode methinks and i dont mind a nice quiet house in the suburbs as well provided it aint too far and meets the criteria above.. (if its the same price out taren pt way for a 3brm house, than it is for a 1brm apartment in alexandria.. why wouldnt i?)

ideas?

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Living in Sydney Wed, 12 October 2005 01:15 Go to previous message
taren point is where toyota HQ is Very Happy

But on a side note, if there is an accident on captain cook bridge you will be screwed getting to work, but that isnt a major issue.

I would assume you would still need to cut across through brighton le sands to get to the grand pde, or use the princes highway to get to work, both would be very painful.

Oyster bay, would be nice, id also suggest woolooware and caringbah but once again you are now deeeeeep into the lair of the shire and are doomed as a shire dweller for the rest of eternity Razz (or until you move)

Once you go north of the bridge its a little sketchy through some of those areas, hurstville, kogarah, rockdale. Im not a big fan of that area after working there for only 6 months.

A tip for cheap housing in a relatively quite end of town with not much crime would be kyeemagh. Its also very close to the airport.... ie, at the end of the eastwest runway!

It is very cool watching the planes take off though!

EDIT: I still think the belt of suburbs: randwick, coogee, clovelly, bronte, kingsford, maroubra, east gardens, malabar is your best bet.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 01:20]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...!
Next Topic:Heartless Bitch!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:59:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005324125289917 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.