Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What tyre should I get?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:10 Go to next message

What tyres should I get?[ 10 vote(s) ]
1.215/45R18 RE050A 2 / 20%
2.235/40R18 P Zero Nero 8 / 80%

Hi all,
It's time to replace the tyres on the Liberty. The OEM tyres are 215/45R18 Bridgestone RE050As..
Rim size is 7".
It's a nice tyre and rim combination.

Replacement tyre is $415 because it's the same size as the front of the F360. Damn Ferrari Tax. Sad

I have an option of getting Pirelli P Zero Neros in 235/40R18 size to avoid the Ferrari Tax. Unfortunately, it's the same size as the Boxster. Sad
Porsche Tax isn't has high as the Ferrari Tax though, so the P Zeros are $400.
I'm kinda worried about the bulge though, 235 is pretty damn big for a 7" rim!
But, damn the car would look horn with the 235s filling all 4 wheel arches...

The car handles bloody well for a big 4WD sedan and I don't want to ruin it by getting tyres that will squirm from being too big. The stickier rubber may keep cornering speeds up but it may also be quite a handful from the bulgy sidewalls...

That's my dilemma. What're your thoughts?

(Oh, before anyone asks, the RE050As in 235/40R18 are HIDEOUSLY expensive!)

[Edit: And the P Zero Neros don't come in 215/45R18. P Zero Rossos do, but they're more luxury performance than high performance.]

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 12:16]

Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMO i'd go the P Zero's. From what i've experienced they're the best tyres i've experineced traction, handling and grip wise. So i'd highly recommend them Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about p-zero corsa? 235/40 ZR18TL

if they had any useful sizes in that I'd definitly get them ('cause wet weather traction is for wusses)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where does the Corsa fit in the P Zero range?

I thought the Neros were at the top?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shrugs*
I went to their website, and apparently the corsa is the race variety of the p zero. I know buggerall about pirellis tho Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds like the Giallo (Yellow).

Actually, that sounds like all the P Zeros! Laughing
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Nark,

That was pretty quick for a tyre change. Just wondering but how many kms have you done before the tyre change?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm on 32,000km.

The treadwear rating on the RE050As is 140.

Not far off the 120 of the P Zero Neros.

Most of the other Liberty guys are getting about the same kms...
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: What tyre should I get? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the OEM tyres, 215/45R18 Bridgestone RE050As.. Very sticky, and very little road noise. Have not tried the P zero but not much difference in price.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What tyre should I get? Fri, 14 October 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that $400 per tyre?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Fri, 14 October 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. Sad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Fri, 14 October 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a bit of a look on the Pirelli website. Here are the differences between the different types of P Zeros.

Nero
"Replacement hard tuning" (whatever that means)
http://www.au.pirelli.com/en_AU/tyres/catalog/tyre _product.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=AU_UHP& productid=17131
Quote:

http://www.au.pirelli.com/MEDIA/TyreCatalog/8900008_PZERONERO_big.gif
Drivers' needs and expectations are becoming more sophisticated, especially at the top end of the car market. Increasingly, fast trackers, the primary target for Pirelli, require ultra-low profile tyres with larger diameter wheels as well as higher tyre load capacity.
In line with its reputation for adapting quickly to market demands, Pirelli has introduced the
P Zero Nero, a tyre predominantly for the "soft" and "hard" tuning aftermarket, that takes its place in the P Zero Collection.
P Zero Nero's slogan is "works harder, plays harder", derived from the tyre's two major characteristics:
Driving Force
The Extra Load capacity assists in maintaining the performance of both sports saloons with full equipment options and increasingly heavy and powerful tuned cars. New technology ensures a higher load carrying capacity without compromising driving comfort thanks to the adoption of a structure utilising new aramid fibre materials, thermally stable 0° nylon outer belts and more uniformly distributed stresses.
Driving Enjoyment
A comprehensive range maintaining many "pure" ZR sizes extends the limits of driving pleasure. No compromise in dry and wet handling and in powerful ABS braking with significantly reduced stopping distances. The exclusive styling and optimum safety features complete P Zero Nero's racing pedigree.

These features not only make the P Zero Nero the ideal choice for tyre/wheel conversions but add a new dimension to the car that reflects the drivers individuality.

Rosso
"Extreme performance with comfort"
http://www.au.pirelli.com/en_AU/tyres/catalog/tyre _product.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=AU_UHP& productid=17130
Quote:

http://www.au.pirelli.com/MEDIA/TyreCatalog/5600020_P_ZERO_ROSSO_DIREZIONALE_big_n.gif
The evolution in the sports car segment has led to sophisticated electronic vehicle safety and comfort management systems being fitted as standard. In harmony with this and increasingly stringent legislation limiting acoustic pollution, Pirelli has created the P-Zero Rosso: comfortable, quiet, ultra-high performance with no trade off.
The name derives from the now legendary "P-Zero", which became a milestone, marking a fundamental turning point in Pirelli ultra-high performance tire technology, and "Rosso", or red, which is synonymous with Italian motorsport.

Tread pattern
Asymmetric design with wide longitudinal channels. The tread pattern is divided laterally into three distinct elements, each designed to confer a particular aspect of performance. These elements range from robust outer shoulder blocks through a semi-slick central rib with curved transversal grooves, to a more open inner shoulder.

Corsa
Race rubber
http://www.au.pirelli.com/en_AU/tyres/catalog/tyre _product.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=AU_UHP& productid=17129
Quote:

http://www.au.pirelli.com/MEDIA/TyreCatalog/12000010_pzerocorsa_direzionale_big.gif
P Zero Corsa System has been developed for powered super sports cars producers and enthusiasts who take their car on the race track, whether for "track days" or "club racing", allowing them to maximise their cars performance. The features in tread pattern design, compound and structure, allows P Zero Corsa System to satisfy even the most demanding customers in terms of dry handling and braking without compromising on wet handling, noise performance and maximised contact patch with the road surface.

P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. An innovative racing tread compound, ensures maximum grip while the use of ultra-light and flexible belts implies a very wide footprint area.

Original Equipment for the road version of Ferrari 360 Challenge and Porsche GT3, and targeted at the most prestigious car producers, P Zero Corsa System includes P Zero Corsa Direzionale on the front and P Zero Corsa Asimmetrico on the rear for outstanding aquaplaning resistance. Directional front tyres penetrate the water surface, clearing a path for the rears which complete water dispersal for increased driving safety.

Tread pattern
The directional design provides better wet handling characteristics, while the absence of continuous grooves eliminates the blocky structure of a conventional pattern.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just came across this.
http://legacygt.com/forums/printthread.php?t=529&a mp;pp=40

Quote:

I have to say that I am not overly impressed with the Spec B package. When you are pushing hard, it performs very well. Pushing hard, though, is a combination of full throttle runs and flinging yourself through corners at speeds that would even frighten the legendary Tokyo Taxi drivers, of whom even the most hardened street racer holds in awe. Driving it in a sedate manner highlighted the shortcomings of that suspension, with a jiggly ride that had you and your passengers feeling literally *every* bump, ripple, candy wrapper and the odd ant on the road. There was a layer of isolation from them, in that they never felt particularly jarring or sharp, but it felt on tippytoes at all times, always jiggling as I was driving down all but the smoothest of roads.

Part of this can be attributed to the RE050's, which have uberstiff sidewalls. I drove an STi Legacy package with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's, and those sidewalls were much more adept at absorbing the little niggles. The tradeoff was that it didn't feel as sharp as even the GT at that point.

I do like how stiff the sidewalls of the RE050As are. I thought the Neros would be the same though.

I also love the progressive breakaway of the RE050As which, combined with the stiff sidewalls, makes it very easy to drive on the limit.
I just wish they had more grip!!!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
performance over luxury i say
get the stiff sharp ones!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but why pirelli's? so expensive and not all that great from what ive heard
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 22:26

what about p-zero corsa? 235/40 ZR18TL

if they had any useful sizes in that I'd definitly get them ('cause wet weather traction is for wusses)

just get rain semi slicks.. my toyo 08R's have lasted well!
grippy as hell in dry
even better in the rain
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, i have the next step up from the RE50's... ie RE01R's, but in 215/45/17.. they are around $350 or so.. but they are bloody good...
the sidewalls ARE very veyr stiff... i'm sure the tyre could run without air, and they tramline on bad roads tc, but the grip is (to me) amazing....
wet weather grip is also very good, despite the RE50 being a more weather oriented tyre...

experience i've had with pirellis (mostly heavier cars) is they they are very soft.. the RE's are also soft, but maybe not quite as much...

other to consider (and maybe not road legal) is the S01.... even more stucky...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyre should I get? Sat, 15 October 2005 05:05 Go to previous message
why maybe not road legal stu?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st205 suspension?
Next Topic:[deleted]
Goto Forum: