Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Best Brand of Tools?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

icon5.gif  Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 09:16 Go to next message

Best Brand of Tools,[ 28 vote(s) ]
1.Snap On 8 / 29%
2.Sidchrome 10 / 36%
3.Kinchrome 3 / 11%
4.Don't know never used them 2 / 7%
5.None of the Above 5 / 18%

Ok well i'm going to be a Mechanic now i need to start thinking of what brand of tools to buy to replace my cheapo Supatool set,

Whats the best brand to use, whats the best quality, whats the best bang for buck?

I honestly don't know what to do in this situation, you have Snap- On on one hand which is meant to be the best tools there is and they also have a lifetime warranty.

And you have Kinchrome which are much cheaper but also have a life time warranty, and you have Sidchrome in between,

anyone got any suggestions on which tools i should buy?
is it worth spending the extra money for Snap on when the other brands also have life time warrantys?

all comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile

Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad is a mechanic, and he bought a full Repco toolkit for home a few years ago. This thing has every tool you'll ever need (and a few you'll never use Razz ). It included a 1.5m tall cabinet with labels for all tools. I've been using them on my car(s) and have no (bad) issues with any of the tools.
I recommend them. Look out for specials, as they are sometimes on sale.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a set of Sidchrome sockets and a set of Sidchrome screwdrivers...they are both awesome.
suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your going to be a mechanic so you only want to buy tools once!!
Hard to go past snap on........but hell expensive!!!

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or Stahlwille. Love them green boxes.
EDIT: Don't buy shifters - they're bad, mkay.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 January 2003 10:19]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingchrome are Ok - but ybelieve me - you pay Way too much for just the name ..

suopatool's are made in the same factory - quality wise there isnt much between them
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Snap-On & Stahl Willie are both the shit, but you don't need these sorts of tools at home, unless you can afford a second insurance policy.
Craftsman is a huge brand in Amerika, but a bit unknown here. For years all the qantas mechanics have been stocking up on them when they've been in the US, as they are pretty bloody good quality for their price (most people compare their quality to Snap-On). There's a place in Castle Hill though, called Toolworx, that's just become the sole distributor for Craftsman in Australia. It's worth checking out.
I bought a few bits from Snap-On last year, & the stuff really adds up. Considering I got a huge discount & still spent over a grand, I didn't get alot for my money. Please note, I am only talking about Snap-On spanners & sockets etc, not hammers or pliers or anything like that. Most of this stuff is just relabeled with an extra big price relabel to match.

For home stuff, I would go with something much more 'cost-effective'. Repco does make pretty good stuff, old secondhand Sidchrome is really good, but new stuff is made os, so it's not quite as good. Otherwise Kingchrome would be the easiest to find & replace.

Have an essay. Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please note that most Kinchrome stuff does not come with a lifetime warranty anymore Sad

I normally buy Sidchrome or Kinchrome they are both much of a muchness now although the Kinchrome socket sets seem to look better, well much brighter anyway!

I actually bought a 56 peice Kinchrome socket set the other day cost nearly $400 Confused
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my new favourite sockets for all round use is a metrinch set, works on both metric and imperial aswell as rounded bolts, I think it is made by kinchrome aswell.

I used this set to pull apart the half cut and the celica and put the 1g in, very useful.

and comes in hand for my line of work, trying to undo old shitty bolts on valves etc.

oh yeah, shifters are handy,.. thats what I used to think, but now I'm a big spanner fan, old dude at work used to call shifters nut fuckers.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 January 2003 11:25]

rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it Kingchrome or Kinchrome or are they both the same??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its Kinchrome as far as I know Rolling Eyes Thats what is stamped on the tools!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sidchrome is good, but you get a life time waranty with the snap on tools.
JUZZO
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so juzzo are you saying you don't get a life time on Sidchrome?

anyway thanks a heap guys, but still hasn't really helped me decide might have to get some price sheets on compare prices on all the brands to work out which one i should go with.

thanks again. Smile
Ronin
Regular

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Wed, 08 January 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*hugs his $2 socket set from the $2 shop* Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait till you are actually an aprentice then you can get a discount from alot of suppliers, plus you can then claim all the costs of tools back in tax, but you wont pay much tax being a first year Smiley =
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you start dealing with the Snap on dealer he also stocks other brands like ABW, victronox and Blue point. Blue point comes out of the same factory but has an industrial finish and is considerably cheaper, bear in mind that pretty much anything that comes out of the snap on truck has a life time warrenty shit i even use to get warrenty on phillips head bits. When i started i bought the basic stuff screwdrivers, cheap spanners and a few pairs of pliers i built it up from there. Youll soon figure out what you will and wont need to buy. The stuff that you use all the time buy the best of and the stuff that you use once in a blue moon dont go to overboard good luck as a mechanic.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just recently got a set of screwdrivers and a socket set form the year before, both Sidchrome, they both came with a lifteime warranty.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill give you guys the lowdown cause im smart.
im only a second year but none the less. i have a full sidchrome toolkit. its pretty good, but not great. i rate thier pipe spanners as SHIT. i like most the other stuff tho, sockets and spanners are ok. their pliers are great.
i cant believe noone has mentioned KC PRO. there are very good for their price. lifetime warranty and aussie owned. the stuf ive used of there is good quality i recommend them to anyone but not their pliers.
snap on are obviously one of the best but too expensive for an apprentice such as myself.
repco are ok, pretty chunky but ive seen their stuff break anyway. theyre getting a little expensive too.
kinchrome are shit.
i reckon if your on a budget go KC PRO, or even sidchrome arent too expensive my kit cost me $1200 and its got all the basics.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything American.
They seem to make the best tools for some reason.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Thu, 09 January 2003 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, kincrome worx for me.

bigworm is on the money - sidchrome *used* to be good - but their quality over the years has slipped of recent - so go to the yards/markets and buy all the OLD sidchrome stuff - thats the good shit.

from what i gather sidchrome have just killed off their proto range too..
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Fri, 10 January 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find Baron tools the best and most cost effective way.

12 Month Warranty

Every tool you'll ever need is at Big W Very Happy

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Fri, 10 January 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron screw drivers blow goats! They suck big time Evil or Very Mad
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Fri, 10 January 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon the best thing you could do is go to a couple of auctions & pick up a bargain, huge sets of tools & individual tool sets go for bloody cheap sometimes.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Fri, 10 January 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a snapon cabinet and tool box. Dont buy snap on screw drivers, they tend to scrimp on the warranty on them (tell you its abuse, same with their drill bits). Spanners on the other hand you cant go past, but blue point are the same, just more industrial looking. Koken make great socket sets, I couldn't even kill a standard socket on a rattle gun. Buy what you can afford with the best compromise towards quality, leaning towards those with life time warranty.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Sun, 12 January 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supatool 3/8 ratchets are shite. The teeth snap far too easily. Mine lasted 3 months and snapped with hand pressure (no pipe on the end). The 1/2 Supatool ratchet was almost as bad. I bought a 1/2 inch ratchet for $30 from Auto One (no brand on it, but it's exactly the same as a KC tools one). I've used meter lentghs of pipe on the end of it and haven't had a tooth snap yet - so far about a year of usage. None of my 1/2" supatool sockets have been killed by the rattle gun yet though.

Buy some cheap spanners. You'll need these to make 'special service tools' when you can't get on to a nut or bolt because it's in a tight space. Bend them as much as you like and you don't have to worry because you paid bugger all for them.

Ginsie, have you found a job yet? I know a place in Hornsby that's after a first year.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 January 2003 03:23]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Sun, 12 January 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be using Repco tools at home and at work...

They are of excellent quality and most of their tools carry the lifetime warranty...

I also use them as I can get them for less than trade price... A socket set costs like $350 to the public whereas I get it for $250... Now tell me who will give those sorts of discounts on Snap-On tools...
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Sun, 12 January 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a mix of snap on very expensive repco not bad kc tools same and kc pro am same too but im gonna warn you KC PROAM MULTIGRIPS ARE SHIT and so is the new sidchrome pipe spanners suck too (ive used evosti's) i got a CP pnumatics impact gun its lasted all this time eveyday work use and oilded it almost everyday.It also depends where your working as in a dealership you can get away with not having heeps of tools.At least i know where craftsmen are sold now so ill have to get some.bang for your buck id say repco best quality snap on but too expencive for example a flank drive spanner set from snap on about $650 only metric and about 9 spanners rip off.Or a normal set of spanners about 300 beans go to repco and get a apprentice box id say allow about $1500 for a box without a roll cab with tools or get the roll cab first about $800 then put tools in the cab.Dont forget to get impact sockets repco have a good short 1/2in metric impact set or its hard to get warrenty on non impact tools used on hte impact gun ive been denied from repco for this
biggav
Regular

August 2002
Re: Best Brand of Tools? Sun, 12 January 2003 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to post in here, but if u haven't looked at the 4sale bit i have a $1100 snap on voucher for sale Very Happy
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Best Brand of Tools? Tue, 14 January 2003 10:20 Go to previous message
thanks sean but i got a job, mechanic at the central coast motor groupe i'll be in the mercedes department, start monday (20th) well from the sounds of everything i think i'll have to get an asorted set of brands, from what i know sidchrome are meant to be pretty crap now and i hate kinchrome ratchets so might go for a snap on ratchet and sockets then kinchrome spanners and do it like that, i'll have to wait and see when i start working and borrow peoples tools and see which i like the feel of ect,

its a tough topic to talk about as everyone has there own opinion. Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:R.I.P RA23 Celica
Next Topic:Interesting Import
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:13:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070421695709229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.