Toymods » Tech & Conversions » eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Thu, 20 October 2005 13:11 Go to next message
at the moment im in the process of casting up new 20 valve throttles in 3 sizes 45mm 48mm and 50mm .as this costs a lot of money ,patterns ,tooling new springs castings and machining would other people be interested in these and if you think they are going to be 300 and 400 dont reply
i have roughly worked out a price for a 4 cyl set at $1100 a set of 4 with linkages and $1650 a set for a 6cyl set, all im trying to make in profit is the pattern costs which there are 2 of and the tooling jigs to hold the castings and also the tooling up of the linkages for the pressings and numerous other things in the production

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 09:27]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Thu, 20 October 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but isn't that abotu the same as a set of EFI-hardware of... whats that american brand that are similar? TWM?
to be honest, these companies alreay proved excellent TB's and you are putting yourself in for a world of pain to get them right...

but it's a heck of a journey
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how are you making them?? whats involved in the process??

pics of moulds? machining?

sounds cool Smile
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casting? That is probably less cost efficient than milling a throttle with custom bolt patterns (if you want to keep the 4AG manifold), so you have a thin throttle (RB26 style) and attaching a tapered set of trumpets.

Although, for what you are suggesting, that is a reasonable price. The TWM set that oldcorollas suggested goes for USD$2517 for 45mm and 48mm. Although that does include injectors, rails, linkages and trumpets.

There are also a couple of local companies that do very good throttle bodies (DCOE pattern) for around $1100 up to 50mm.

I just had another read of your first post. Are you actually putting them on a 4AG?

Either way, good luck! I'm in the same boat as ed, I'd love to see how your going to do it Smile
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The patterns are made out of timber so need 2, 1 for 3 throttles and 1 for the tps throttle as well. also it has a core box for the central hole ,then cast up and heat treated, At the moment they are being machined up, need 2 jigs to hold them so more money .
The prototypes are of 50mm and the black tops wont go out to this out all 47mm tops hence my new babies at 50mm for my altezza motor .
these will be the same as black top 1s but no vacuum lines and no bleed off screws ,so if any 1 wonted to stroke there 20v out to 1940cc with 7a crank and bore ,these would bolt on .
the next step is stamping out the linkages there are 7different 1s to a set of 4 quads .They have been laser cut out and need pressing into shape etc
also the springs have been made up as well ,and im waiting for the plastic spacer to be made
then its off to the guy that makes the throttle shafts and butterflys and after i pay every 1 out and work on the price im hoping to put on 10%to cover the patterns and tooling costs .that price includes the gst as well in my price so keeping it down as low as possible to every 1
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, good luck Very Happy
it sounds like it is actually worht the effort!!!

so you could have throttleshafts/linkages made to any width and spacing?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah stewy any size you wont all done and fitted correctly also might be sending some back to japan for the s2000 motor as toda make inlets to suit the toyota throttles but only in 45mm but mugen wont a fortune for there quad system and its 50mm and about 6times the price
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fantastic.....

/me starts thinking about quad throttled SC motor Razz

i guess thats the thing.. there are solutions out there, but they are either DCOE based, or old motorbike TB's, or cost a packet...

pics? *nudge nudge* Wink
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the next 2 weeks should be finished
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like these:

http://www.speed-technology.com/efi_throttle.html
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nahh, they are mostly DCOE based...

same for TWM... but you can space out the twin barrels.. not the same as spacing individual carbs tho
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 21 October 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as honda S2000 throttles, TWM also make throttles, and they are around the USD$2000 mark. So this is going on a BEAMS 3SGE? That's the way it shoulda been from the factory anyway!

As far as the individually made shafts go... Now I see your direction on this! I shall watch this project carefully!
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 24 October 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok should have pics by the end of this week
gemtoy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 24 October 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought it would be easier to make the housing out of a block of aluminium. Then mill the size you want. This is how I am going to make some spares for my engine (when it runs)
Good luck.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 24 October 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, but blocks of aluminium are not the cheapest..
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 24 October 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile cool my old man casts some stuff out of ally for fun Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 21:35]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 24 October 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EFI Hardware will also sell these things on seperate shafts or with whatever brore spacing you want:

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?manuf acturers_id=13&products_id=121
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats right ben but mine will bolt 2 4age 20v ,all TODA inlets and 3sge TRD inlets as well and are complete bar ram tubes
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah I'd love to put ITB's on the 2J, but just can't justify the cost. Anway what you are doing looks mighty promising and I'm keen to see any pics, performance specs when you are done.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 22:28

Ah I'd love to put ITB's on the 2J

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/images/Image0025a.jpg

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=9432

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/images/Image0022a.jpg

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 22:55

Ah I'd love to put ITB's on the 2J

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/images/Image0025a.jpg

I'm guessing that isn't you Ed. Unless you have tits. Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr Beefcake Manboobs??

edit: i originally thought the plenum was levitating.... must get my boob radar retuned to "Yian Level" Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 14:29]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed - Is that an inverted GT-R plenum?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Tue, 25 October 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTR's already have 6 throttles, that looks like its had the runners cut off.

edit - DOH! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 23:55]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Wed, 26 October 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 08:40

yup

looks bewdiful Smile

good to see some "grass roots" modifying still happening Very Happy and can't wait to hear it!!
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Wed, 26 October 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would sound a lot better wihtout the plenum....
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Wed, 26 October 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.... and if you\'ve got a plenum like that, why would you want size throttles? One big one would be far smarter.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Wed, 26 October 2005 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plenum is a bolt-on option...

...plus, bill, whats the honest difference between bellmouthed ram tubes inside a ducted airbox, and a well constructed plenum??

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 21:57]

510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Thu, 27 October 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 00:15]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 28 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1933.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1934.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1935.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1936.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1937.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1938.JPG
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 28 October 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's an uncanny resemblance Very Happy What diameter is that one?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Fri, 28 October 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ah I'd love to put ITB's on the 2J.....

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20intake%20side.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 18:43]

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Sat, 29 October 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1st few pics are the TRD 3sge inlet manifold and the next show the new 50mm quad casting and the other 1 is the trd 1s that they use which is a black top 1
another thing my machinist thinks we can take the new 1s out to 52mm for 2jz multi throttles as well
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 31 October 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These will bolt directly onto a 16V head correct? If so I'll be very interested in 2 sets within a month or two.

Kev.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles Mon, 31 October 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 04:12

Ah I'd love to put ITB's on the 2J.....

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20intake%20side.jpg

is that your corona?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Mon, 31 October 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, does it not make you happy in pants?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Mon, 31 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 14:20

Yes, does it not make you happy in pants?

understatement of the year
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Wed, 02 November 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have some more pics this week as well
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Wed, 02 November 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darnit, now I'm getting excited about it... I'll keep an eye on this thread Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Wed, 02 November 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy

Click for off topic eye candy

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 13:22]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Thu, 03 November 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1939.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1940.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1941.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Glens%20Quads/DCP_1942.JPG
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this maybe a dumb question but whats wrong with standard 20V throttles?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam start reading from the top as in 1st thread then you might be able to work it out why im doing this
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope sorry I must be missing something, I read the whole thread twice and I still dont get it.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make it simple for you ,Altezza 3sge motor using 47mm 20 v quads now ,but need to go bigger, to 50mm so im making up castings to make 50mm 1s .does that do it for you know sammy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks, I hope it works out for you. Do you have any pics during the casting process or of the moulds you used?

so do you want to sell your old 20V throttles? Smile
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which 1s sam the 45mm or the 47mm
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Fri, 04 November 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to buy: whichever is cheaper, both are overkill. Please PM me if they are for sale, thanks
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance of making some up to fit a 16V head?

Kev
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are already 16V to 20V throttle manifolds available... T3??
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah... an extra $300-500 ontop of the $1100?... It would be easier if he made another jig for 16V and priced them the same as the 20V, I'm quite sure alot of 16V owners would be interested...

Kev.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a lot of the 16v owners just use 20v throttle bodies... You'd be trying pretty hard to make the stock 20v throttles become a major restriction on a NA 20v.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't be suprised that it would be hard for 20V throttles to be even a minor resriction for a 16V, or a 20V for that matter.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that, I mean think about it, the amount of air you suck in has to go out of your exhaust as converted gas. If you have four 40mm throttle bodies, that means that you can suck in enough (cold) air to the equivelant to a single 81mm pipe.

Now think of the factor that when in an engine, air would heat up, convert into gas, and then go into your exhaust. In that process the air would expand very rapidly. In this process it would mean that you would need approximately a 102mm exhaust (4.01 inches) to flow that amount of air.

Therefore, if you have a 4.01inch exhaust, and are still being "held back", that would be the time to go for bigger throttle bodies...

My mind hurts now...

Kev.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kev: If the engine pushes the exhaust out at higher pressure than the one atmosphere pressure that when the air is "sucked" into the engine (in an NA engine) why wouldn't a smaller exhaust handle the volume ? ... and why don't V8s have huuuge exhausts ?
... and I'd love to see your working out of the 81mm.
Have you ever heard of a publication called 'Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems' ? It's an oldie but a goodie and there are others around that are worth a read.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing with both exhaust and intake is that the events happen one at a time Wink
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eh, my brother did the calculations, I always sucked at maths.

Just an odd bit of research I did after hearing the V8 statement.. The intake port (singular) on a Chevy Small-block V8 carby is something like 58mm, and that handles 8 cylinders and an engine with a capacity of 6.5 litres (400 cubic inches)...

Maybe there is some weird thing I'm missing here, such as a difference with the carby setup or something, but my thoughts are that with an engine of that capacity you would need a tonne more fuel, and to even it out you would need a tonne more air. Hence if the 20V 4AGE has FOUR 40mm ports... where the hell is the need for more than that...

I'm not trying to blaze this or anything, I'm here to learn, so if someone can explain this to me I'd be greatful...

Kev.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what it comes down to is flow.
big V8 doesn't usually rev that much..

but anyway, work out how much air is consumed by engine (ie capacity/2 x rpm = L/min) and hen convert that to a velocity thru the given throttle area..

aim is something like?? 300feet/min velocity as max?? i forgot specifics...
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: eoi casting up new 20v throttles [pics are up ] Sat, 05 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
the thing is the early silver had 43 mm and then 45mm for the black top ,but if you made a hybrid say 7a block and crank ,offset grind the crank new rods and pistons ,plus new cams for the 16v head machine out buckets for the 3rd gen 3sge 1s im talking 500 thou lift here with bigport head would be 1940odd cc here you would need at least 48mm to maybe 50 even at 8000 rpm for flow
my altezza motor has had 45mm went to 47mm picked up power all through the rev range to 8600rpm
my exhaust primaries are 50mm the secondaries are 55mm and finals are 60, so 2and half inch exhaust to the back
the cams im using are 540 thou inlet and in the 500 thou on the exhaust power is from 4500 to 8800 before it drops off ,even so it is very easy to drive idles at 750rpm and has a flat torque curve from 4000rpm to 8800 rpm so putting 50mm is not going to hurt this motor only improve it
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:speed sensor/ speed limiter disabled/ disconnected
Next Topic:rwd 4age aircon compressor the same as fwd 4age?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:36:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01076602935791 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.