Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » First car questions.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GravityMX
Newcomer

July 2005
First car questions. Sat, 22 October 2005 02:49 Go to next message
Hey guys, I'm keen to purchase my first car in the next few months, and I just need a few questions answered. I've decided to go with an early 90's model Corolla as I've heard their one of the most reliable & economical cars around. Smile

1. How long do these motors generally last for under normal conditions? The one's I've been looking at usually have around 250,000km's on em. Is this good? Or should I be looking for something at around 200?

2. How's the legroom in most Corolla's? I'm almost 6 foot and will be driving the car most days to uni (60kms there & back on the highway). Anyone find them somewhat cramped?

3. Were there any models released with an LPG option? If not, how much would it cost (ballpark figure) to get one installed?

4. Auto or Manual? What would be a better option for a Corolla? I could easily drive both, but auto prefered Razz

And lastly, could anyone recommend any reputable 2nd-hand car dealerships in Adelaide? Preferably down south (Morphett Vale area)

Thanks for the help Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: First car questions. Sat, 22 October 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good choice, I owned an AE92 for a couple of years and still drive one occasionally Very Happy

1. Toyota motors generally age well & it's not uncommon for original motors to last 300,000k's plus with proper servicing. As with anything make sure it's been looked after with servicing, fluids & belts changed at the appropriate time.

However 250,000k's does seem a bit high & personally i'd look for a car with under 200,000k's, i've seen some recent examples with ~ 150,000k's or so in pretty good condition.

2. I'm 5'11" and as a driver I had no problem with legroom. In the front it's quite good but in the back it can get a little cramped.

3. No models released with LPG & no idea of cost ($1,500?)

4. Well i'm a little biased but i'd choose a manual over the auto simply because I prefer manual Wink If you're looking at an SX then I think they came in manual only plus the manual will also save you a bit of fuel and be a bit quicker.

EDIT: Not sure if things have changed now but when I was looking for my car I found most of the dealers to be way overpriced. Don't be afraid to look at a few private sales as often the cars will be in better condition than what the dealers are offering at a much better price aswell.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 03:20]

myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: First car questions. Sat, 22 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm 6foot2. I've driven almost exclusively Civics and Corollas from the 70's and early 80's. Never felt cramped, never had headroom issues - even in the 76 Civics.

250,000km is a lot. Even a low revving 6cyl would be wanting a new rings and bearings at that point. They'd also want an auto trans rebuilt. If the car is otherwise immaculate and it's a manual(manuals last longer), Talk their price down and budget for a rebuild. If it's looked after it wont simply blow up oneday, it'll just gradually get more smokey or rattley. At a point you'll decide to rebuild it. It might take 2 years before that point.
They're fairly economical, but I dont think they're quite as economical as the honda's of that era. I should warn you, I'm an equal fanboy of honda and toyota. If I was looking at early 90's cars though, I'd be looking at an MR2 or the 92-96 civic. There's something about that shape I just love and the magical b16a just makes me drool Smile

Anyhow, good luck. Try and take someone that knows their shit with you.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 03:38]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: First car questions. Sat, 22 October 2005 06:45 Go to previous message
your best bet is probably to grab a hold of a friend who knows a fair bita bout cars (not someone who *claims* to know a fair bit about cars) and go look at private sales. you'll save yourself a decent amount of money, and private sellers are less proficient than used car salesmen at hiding any problems with the car.

and if for any reason they don't let you drive the car, walk away.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP! ma61 top diff bolts
Next Topic:sprinter specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:42:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052111148834229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.