Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Still remember the "Bourke Engine"???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 15:42 Go to next message
Anybody still remember once I've posted to see if anyone tried building a Bourke Engine?

When I mentioned the design had features such as: being able to run on different fuel, has low amount of moving parts, the oil will not need changing for about 100,000kms, will be able to run on detonation, burns the fuel completely and no pollution...

The Bourke Engine also claimed to be at least 2-3 times more efficient than the current internal combustion engine (20-30% efficiency)

Then somehow, the whole thread got flamed and you had all these "experts" from the forum claiming it's impossible, fuel's got a certain fixed amount of energy stored in it... blah blah blah?? (http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80622)

today I stubbled across some "Quasiturbine Engine" and it turned out someone actually went ahead, designed and patented such engine... Except in a different shape! (Same features, complete burn, efficient engine, multi-fuel capable, can tolerate detonation, no oil needed)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm

but too bad it's a bit too late as the oil war is already here...

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 16:27]

Send a private message to this user  
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, ahh you're a funny guy Razz
it wasn't the concepts but your interpretation Wink

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/quasiturbine-14.gif
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/quasiturbine-11.gif

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're just an arrogant bastard, who just turns out to have too much spare time, my original thread had only 1 purpose, and that was to find out if any one had experimented on a Bourke Engine, and any corresponding results, thus may once and for all prove if "technology suppression" are real, but the help of many ignorant people actually helped kept the thread alive long enough which helped me draw to the conclusion that no one in this forum had built such engine, although it took a while, but I've got my answer.

Now back to the topic...
It seems like the technology is here, or it probably was here long time ago, although for skeptics, there's no proof that such engine will work unless it's been mass produced and working in front of their eyes, so there's only one purpose of me for starting this thread, and that purpose is to "pass on the message" that there MAY be a new type of internal combustion engine, which is going to be much lighter, and/or much more powerful/efficient (better weight/power ratio) than the conventional widely trusted 4-stroke engine. So my purpose is fulfilled, and I will not need to be involved in a debate, nor will I need to reply, thanks oldcorollas for your time!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo!!!

the QT400 engine.
1600c swept volume per revolution (so 3.2L based on 2 revs)
maximum speed 2000rpm
maximum theoretical power = 56kw
this equates to 266Nm

compare that to todays terribly inefficient piston engines..

3.2L
typically around 300-320Nm
maximum speed.. typically around 6000-7000rpm.

so you could optimise a piston engine, with the same swept volume per revolution, and it will still have higher torque at low rpm, as well as being more flexible...

their point is that photo-detonation is better at partial loads, but to use photodetonation, you need clean fuels (but they don't state which.. only that it is not petrol or diesel etc)

so wtf are you on about with this oil war crap...

the designs look a little flaky as far as being "oil-less".. wen you have friction, you have heat, and snce both designs have more side seal area than a rotary, methinks they will be generating significant heat.

it's a lovely idea, but they are relying on vague and wishy washy concepts of photo-detonation to prove their point. they do not actually suggest which fuels they could use, nor talk about their self detonation pressures or tempeatures etc etc..

ie, as nice as it seems, the basic scientific backbone is fragile.

unless of course... you can show the thermodynamic argument that they are more efficient....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 02:26

thus may once and for all prove if "technology suppression" are real,

so there's only one purpose of me for starting this thread, and that purpose is to "pass on the message" that there MAY be a new type of internal combustion engine, which is going to be much lighter, and/or much more powerful/efficient (better weight/power ratio) than the conventional widely trusted 4-stroke engine.

in that case, this thread should be deleted..

your conspiracy theories are hardly "tech or conversions"
and yes, technology suppression is real, especially when a concept is proven THERMODYNAMICALLY to be inferior.
the potential specs they CLAIM ON THEIR WEBSITE are inferior to current petrol engines... so there seems no secret that they are less efficient.....

i feel you have done me such a favour by "passing on the message" Rolling Eyes

have you actualyl looked at the scientific basis of these motors, past all the website blurb? apparently not Wink

i love conspriacy theorists Very Happy they live in a cloak and dagger world, where everyone is out to get them, and there is always some dude pretending to be in the CIA trying to steal new technology for some reason.....

i have a friend who thinks like this....

it gets worse when he doesn't take his medication (i am being dead serious). at times it gets so bad he needs to be hospitalised.

have you taken your medication lately? or have "they" been spiking the capsules with mind controlling microbugs??

Rolling Eyes

back to ignore you go Razz

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so much "hype" about this bourke engine, i still cant find any site that explains how it works exactly. i mean the bourke engine link on other thread is all words. no diagram or anything like that. care to show me an exact link to how bourke engine works??

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to buy the book/video from the site to see how it works...
only $24.95
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sat, 22 October 2005 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its around for 85 years it must be available somehwere Rolling Eyes

$24.95 for an 85 yr old book?? Laughing
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, snake oil? where do i sign?

i'm an open minded individual, but i dislike the human trait where people will not believe well documented information, but will swallow any old garbage that some nutcase spouts about their new engine that will solve the worlds oil crisis.

I can tell you one thing, the move will not be to a newer fanciewr IC engine, but to fuel cells, electric cars (which is a stupid idea anyway) and other such devices. and this will not happen for a long time.

Stratified charge injection is an interesting concept, which will allow a lean-burn engine to operate without detonation, but we will have to see what the results from this are.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the difference in this engine is there's supposed to be 2 power cycles per revolution, ie. the first cycle set off by detonation and the second cycle set off by spark plug (or vice versa) before the fuel is released into the atmosphere, which supposingly will 1) reduce the unburn fuel and improve the exhaust gas while 2) providing more power, will it work or not? I wouldn't know.

And does the Bourke Engine work? I don't know, that's why I asked if anyone had built one, I know there's "Bourke Engine Builders Club" somewhere, and I've seen CAD diagrams on the internet, so the only way to figure out if the concept work is to build one doing your own metal fabrication and connecting it to an ECU and dyno, but no one that I know have done it, so there's no answer to if it will work or not. If you have never built one, you're not qualified to say if it will work or not.

and yes to shinybluesteel, that's why I said it's too late such inventions come out, because we are starting to phase out of IC engines, which is ridiculously low at 20-30% efficiency, and we will move to fuel cells, electric and air powered, but this will at least take 5-6 years and if we are sucessful, demand for petrol will drop, and so will the price, then maybe, just maybe one day the oil company will have to come back and look at a more efficient oil burning IC engine (at least 60% efficient), so as to save their dying oil market... But if the oil war is real, and the price raise is artificial, we may see the oil price stablise and drop back to < $1 a litre within 2-3 years, so we may not completely phase out of petrol burning IC engine, just to take the world on a ride! You never know! Only time will tell.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
makes no sense. release fuel or gas into atmosphere?? fuel is released into combustion chamber.

also alfa twin spark technology or something else already in the market has the spark plug spark twice which is kinda similar to what ur talking about. one for igniting fuel (duh!!) and the other spark is to burn off excess fuel for cleaner emmision....or something like that. point is, what ur saying is kinda already done if i understand correctly.

also i dont understand how u can go flaming respectable ppl who say bourke engine doesnt work?? u dont even know exactly how it works
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 15:51

and yes to shinybluesteel, that's why I said it's too late such inventions come out, because we are starting to phase out of IC engines, which is ridiculously low at 20-30% efficiency, and we will move to fuel cells, electric and air powered, but this will at least take 5-6 years and if we are sucessful, demand for petrol will drop, and so will the price, then maybe, just maybe one day the oil company will have to come back and look at a more efficient oil burning IC engine (at least 60% efficient), so as to save their dying oil market... But if the oil war is real, and the price raise is artificial, we may see the oil price stablise and drop back to < $1 a litre within 2-3 years, so we may not completely phase out of petrol burning IC engine, just to take the world on a ride! You never know! Only time will tell.

fwiw, the most efficient electricity generators (Gas turbine with second stage heat reclamation) are only 50% eficient now.. and they have turbine inlet temps that are approaching 1600degC. how do i know? i'm involved in the next generation of blades for these turbine Wink

and as for oil companies...

you do realise that oil is not about petrol.
we could get rid of IC engines tomorrow and not make much of a dent in oil demand.

know why?

what clothers are you wearing now? any synthetics? Wink
look around your house... see any plastic?
have carpet?

etc..

oil demand is mostly NOT for cars.

and as for bourke engine, you have the concept wrong. the whole flame transfer chamber is for igniting the next charge, so theat after first ignition event, spark plug is not needed...

all you need is some chemistry and thermodynamics knowlledge, and you might understand better Wink

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

If you have never built one, you're not qualified to say if it will work or not.

You dont need to build it to see if it will work or not you clown, you think they just build aeroplanes and "see" if they fly?? its called plans and simulations and theory. if all that points to it not working and all the scientific basis i have been able to find on these bourke engines are very vague on any specific details, maybe the inventors are scared the cia will try to steal the plans away from them Rolling Eyes

Quote:

because we are starting to phase out of IC engines,

we are? since when? what manufactures have business plans to start phasing out internal combustion engines? You think that because toyota and honda have a HYBRID (Hybrid cars have a PETROL motor too ya know)

Quote:

which is ridiculously low at 20-30% efficiency,

compared to what? you think there are engines out there that operate at 80 90 or even 100% efficiency?

Quote:

and we will move to fuel cells, electric and air powered, but this will at least take 5-6 years and if we are sucessful, demand for petrol will drop, and so will the price, then maybe, just maybe one day the oil company will have to come back and look at a more efficient oil burning IC engine (at least 60% efficient), so as to save their dying oil market...

5-6 years before we move to fuel cells and electric powered cars yeh? wow thats uber-optimisic dont you think? maybe 20-30 years. me thinks you've been watching too many honda adds Razz
air powered cars?

do you have any facts or documentation to backup anything you have said or are you just sprouting complete bullshit.

mate this is a tech and conversions section, dont post you stupid dribble in here. go join a newsgroup

later

mods lock n frag this thread plzzz
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://qt.promci.qc.ca/FQTVideoDecou0004.html

cool piccies

i rekon its a cool idea i like it..

like the engine forgotten what it was called but was a star shape and a piston engine. worked like a rotary
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 18:34

mods lock n frag this thread plzzz

yup..

here's a number. with current fuel cell technology, the entire worlds production of platinum will build about 100,000 fuel cell cars per year. sure they could increase the supply of platinum, but when platinum is already twice the price of gold and will only go up if it is used for vehicles also...... hmmm, oil companies or platinum companies... tough choice eh?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone seen the new nuclear powered cars.very efficent.only draw back is towing the reactor behind you on the trailer.people are calling it the dirt bomb of a car.i think peoples negativity to nuclear powered cars is just{wait for it}an over reaction.they say it even has the added advantage of not needing headlights at night,as it glows in the dark.just to show you how good they are,there is a report that the far east has been trying to get there hands on one for some reason.which dosnt make sense to me because they have so much oil.lmfao
mick
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Still remember the "Bourke Engine"??? Sun, 23 October 2005 10:02 Go to previous message
can anyone say 'friction' ???!!!

http://qt.promci.qc.ca/QTVideoDecou/Snaps/Decouverte-Photo7l.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:timing a 3sgte
Next Topic:how many people otu there with leaking 16v dizzy's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:40:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050520896911621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.