Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 01:21 Go to next message
Hey all,

Just wondering if the general makeup of these things are the same. Like can i fill an IC with water with the same effects that a radiator would have?

Therefore is a IC a Radiator with bigger inlet and outlet pipes?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 01:22]

Send a private message to this user    
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure... but seems kinda right.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loosly.. they are both heat exchangers.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cause i know i could go elaborate setups and stuff and this may be more work but i was thinking in just running cold, icy water through one with a fan to cool the air.

People involved in my last thread about making air cons (hence why i put it in outhouse and not tech) will probably think we finished the conversation but i am lazy and poor and couldn't be stuffed buying or piping or wiring, whatever, a "real" air con system for my house (as i still live at home and prob won't be here much longer)

I was thinking in building a portable system with a foam esky filled with ice a copper or some sort pipe running through it (as i guess it will have to run coolant or the IC will rust) and a small pump to keep cold water flowing through the IC with a small fan (computer maybe) having keeping air flowing through the IC.

The point in this setup is that i will not have to purchase anything as i have it all lying around here now. i could freeze Chinese containers with water to make ice blocks to fill the esky with and keep it cool.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To transfer large amounts of heat (from the air, to cool it down) you need a large temperature differece, or a phase change. the system you mention will not work as well as an evaporative air conditioner for example, but might take the "edge" off the hot air.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am not wanting to climate control or anything, just make things a little cooler, i am aware that this will not perform as well as a standard system but it will do something, even to leave it in a room for a while to work without anyone in there, or i could stand in the airflow if it gets bad, but yeah i am not wanting crazy results just something little
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you're proposing is how many large building cooling systems work - they chill down water, pipe that down to various floors, then use the cool water to chill air flows.

they obviously do it on a much larger scale and many (like the shitbox thing i work in on George Street) have very cold water and produce such cold air that it has to mixed with outside air to lift it to a non-freezing tempreture.

downside is that you need a lot of cold water - hence the energy bill (or cooling effort) to chill down the water is significant. fwiw, i asked about keeping the air on for a weekend on my floor of a 24story building and was told that they'd need one of two chiller plants running and the bill would be $hundreds. fuck that.

anyway, i digress... if you had a large mass of waterthat you kept cool then using a recirculating might work - but your talking about something the size of hot water system.

The cheapest thing i could thing of would be a large keg(s) of water in a fridge that feeds a radiator infront of a fan - circulate the water from the radiator to/from the keg. The larger the volume of water in the fridge, the better. You could use a cheap garden waterfall pump to circulate the water.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have a petier (i think thats how its spelt, those thermalcoupler things) esky i built. but that pulls 10A at 12V and needs to be left on so it draws a bit of power. i reckon a bit of ice should do the trick ok, then if need be i can go more dramatic when its needed.

I though thats how air cons sorta work, cept they use gas not water.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peltier...

i made a fridge out of an esky.

trust me these things arent that great.. it takes the chill and a little more off room temp in the esky... i havent done full testing as the old man doesnt trust it in the house.

here it is.

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2015/tdscf04358if.jpg
the unit - not exactly small or efficent but needs more testing.
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2497/tdscf04376uv.jpg
the bottom of the peltier and the fan to get the air moving.
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/1282/tdscf04385js.jpg
massive heat sink too cool the negative side of the peltier.
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/6800/tdscf04395if.jpg
the bridge rectifier - used to converted power to dc i think. the system was meant to run from a 12v dc power from sig lighter in car. but had to make this to convert the barstard.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/2416/tdscf04402ex.jpg
the power supply i used to run the thing - its a tad over kill but works well.

all this cost me around $60 if i remember right. and i made this as a school project in yr 11 a year ago.

peltiers are a waste of time unless you get a decent sized one.
there only good to cool computers down.
48xmax
Regular

July 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's a cool cooler dude...guess it can save you trips to the fridge to fetch some beer, if ya put the cans in there. Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff the problem with your cooler is you dont have a large enough plate attached to the cell in the cooler to distribute the coolness. The plate should be about 6-8 times the area of the peltier cell its self.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 09:05]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah theres imperfections as the peltier setup was meant to be for cooling water in a polistirine container. i modded and adjusted it to fit to the cooler. if i want it to work properly ill change it.

"ndgcpr" hope this helps you out with some of your things.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ever heard of a second hand aircon Wink

ndgcpr wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 12:03

cause i know i could go elaborate setups and stuff and this may be more work but i was thinking in just running cold, icy water through one with a fan to cool the air.

People involved in my last thread about making air cons (hence why i put it in outhouse and not tech) will probably think we finished the conversation but i am lazy and poor and couldn't be stuffed buying or piping or wiring, whatever, a "real" air con system for my house (as i still live at home and prob won't be here much longer)

I was thinking in building a portable system with a foam esky filled with ice a copper or some sort pipe running through it (as i guess it will have to run coolant or the IC will rust) and a small pump to keep cold water flowing through the IC with a small fan (computer maybe) having keeping air flowing through the IC.

The point in this setup is that i will not have to purchase anything as i have it all lying around here now. i could freeze Chinese containers with water to make ice blocks to fill the esky with and keep it cool.

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you could think about doing is getting and old intercooler and plugging one end and filling it with urea fertilizer and water. presto, an endothermic reaction that will absorb a decent amount of heat.

then all you need to do is strap the IC to the front of your pedestil fan.

though, expect ASIO to roll up at your doorstep after you go to your local ag shop and buy 50kg of urea Laughing Laughing
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Are intercoolers and radiators the same thing? Sun, 23 October 2005 10:27 Go to previous message
michaelhaynes110 wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 19:30

Ever heard of a second hand aircon Wink

Read the whole thing michael. i don't want to stuff around installing stuff in walls and whatever else is involved in adding actual air con as i don't intend to stay here much longer.

Anyway pics of my peltier efforts, i used foam eskies cause its easyer to work with and you get them free from the local store, just ask for a "broccoli esky".

Anyway it uses 2 4 amp peltiers (thus the large load it presents on a transformer) and a aluminum "skeleton" to transfer the cool, it take about an hour to cool the metal but then it should be ok, i haven't really had a big enough trans to test it properly, but i ran it driving to the coast, an it was just getting cool when i got there Razz

The side (this is on both sides.)

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5508/side7oe.jpg

And the inside to move the cool around, it also lets you fill the bottom with some water to help transfer.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/2885/inside0co.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:really hot blonde en ferrari 360 Modena
Next Topic:how many ...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:08:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060279369354248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.