Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Car audio help Sun, 23 October 2005 11:18 Go to next message
Hi all,

I got given a Dynaudio speakers, tweeter and crossovers look like the one in the picture
http://ti-evolution-audio.com/item/image/dynaudio/sys240.jpg

From a quick search on the Internet Dynaudio suppose to be pretty good, but I'm not really audio person so I'm not too sure how to make it all work. I was told that I can't just run it off my headunit and I would need a seperate amp.

Basically I just want to know what exactly do I need to make it work it my car.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Car audio help Sun, 23 October 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can run them off your headunit amp, just the sound will be shit, because headunit amps are shit.

if you want to use an amp, buy a jaycar 4 channel amp, or another reputable brand 4 channel 200 watt amp, so you can run a sub later on or whatever.
RA28GT
Regular

November 2003
Re: Car audio help Sun, 23 October 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You got given them!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You sir are a fu*cking C*nt.

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Car audio help Sun, 23 October 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your running them in the front, you only need a small 2 channel amp, because it will boost the amount of power thats coming from the deck, and give you better sound overall.

yeah you could hook them straight up to your head unit, but whats the point of having speakers so good if your not even hearing 5% of what they can do!??!

Eldar.O.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car audio help Sun, 23 October 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

if you want to use an amp, buy a jaycar 4 channel amp, or another reputable brand 4 channel 200 watt amp, so you can run a sub later on or whatever.

If you run a pair of Dynaudio components from a cheap-ass Jaycar amplifier, I'll personally come around there to kill you as punishment.

shinybluesteel wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 22:33

you can run them off your headunit amp, just the sound will be shit, because headunit amps are shit.

If you run them with the head unit amp I'll up that to making sure it's slow and painful as well.

*stab stab*

Have a nice day,
Michael
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 02:14

Quote:

If you run a pair of Dynaudio components from a cheap-ass Jaycar amplifier, I'll personally come around there to kill you as punishment.

shinybluesteel wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 22:33

If you run them with the head unit amp I'll up that to making sure it's slow and painful as well.

couple of things - firstly - please do not run them off the headunit - these are high end audio drivers - and deserve to be treated in that regard - give them a clean output from a DECENT amp

as for the comment that jaycar are cheap ass - you obviously have not heard the jaycar amps in action - whilst cheaper than your bling and 'designer' amps filled with the latest gimmicks to fool you're run of the mill car audio enthusiast of limited or no knowledge - the jaycar response series amps are competitive with very high end audio ampifiers at a fraction of the cost - very very good value for money if you ask me.

if you have the $$ then by all means go out and splurge on a nice Digital Design amp or the like - for over a grand for this amp its your call - look at the specifications.

my 10c
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28GT wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 23:59

You got given them!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You sir are a fu*cking C*nt.

yeah, but its secondhand cos the guy just upgrade his system. I didn't really want them at first cos I couldn't be bother carrying them on the plane an all. But now I'm glad I did Very Happy

Anyway now that I know what I need to run them, I think I would have to install them later cos it looks like I would need a new headunit and amp.

Thanks guys

RA28GT
Regular

November 2003
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xinx wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 12:33

yeah, but its secondhand cos the guy just upgrade his system. I didn't really want them at first cos I couldn't be bother carrying them on the plane an all. But now I'm glad I did Very Happy

Anyway now that I know what I need to run them, I think I would have to install them later cos it looks like I would need a new headunit and amp.

Thanks guys

It dosen't matter if their second hand, their dynaudio!!!
If you have a budget then run them of a jaycar amp, jaycar amps are the best band for buck by far.
Deck isn't quite as important, as long as you have at least one preout!

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trd3sg wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 12:03

as for the comment that jaycar are cheap ass - you obviously have not heard the jaycar amps in action - whilst cheaper than your bling and 'designer' amps filled with the latest gimmicks to fool you're run of the mill car audio enthusiast of limited or no knowledge - the jaycar response series amps are competitive with very high end audio ampifiers at a fraction of the cost - very very good value for money if you ask me.

As for your above comments, I was quite rash and I agree with your correction. I run two Jaycar amplifiers in my install, and have been generally happy with them.
Having said that, I've found the noise floor to be quite high in practice on my Jaycar 2x150.
While I agree that they are very good bang for buck amplifiers, I don't think they're good enough to do justice to the Dyns in a good install with everything else right. COMPARITAVE TO THE QUALITY OF THE SPEAKERS the Jaycar amp is quite cheap.

PS. Bling is not really a concern for me, some of the brand fanboys in car audio make me laugh.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 05:33]

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats so good about dnyaudio. never heard of them.

audio line is another cheap but good brand. i bought a 2 channel 600W amp for 120 bucks and its been really good and reliable

also if your looking to upgrade. on wednesday and onwards JB HI-FI is haveing a 60% off sale on car audio gear. might be a good time to lay buy something
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and here is a tip for finding out what power your amp is.

dont read any nunbers except the one on the fuse that CAME with the amp (not the one you put on because it kept blowing fuses)

multiply this number by 8 and this will give you a rough idea of outut power. Very Happy
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blue steel are you talking about the one that goes in the amp...or fuse inbetween battery and amp??

even if so that's generally going to be the max power, where i thought RMS was more important?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They will sound very dry, what type of music do you listen too?.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 10:58]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Car audio help Mon, 24 October 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm talking the one that plugs into your amp, the one between battery and amp is only there to stop your car burning down.

this will give you a good idea of the RMS power, if you have, for example a 2000 watt amp, there is no way it is a 2000 watt amp.
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Car audio help Tue, 25 October 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 17:40

whats so good about dnyaudio. never heard of them.

audio line is another cheap but good brand. i bought a 2 channel 600W amp for 120 bucks and its been really good and reliable

also if your looking to upgrade. on wednesday and onwards JB HI-FI is haveing a 60% off sale on car audio gear. might be a good time to lay buy something

dynaudio are a high end brand - very well constructed drivers and the materials used are of extreme quality - the crossovers are also well developed to reduce any distortion and delivers as much as possible, the correct frequencies to the right speaker so as not to damage them. do a bit of a search on the net to find out their quality

as for the audioline amp you have - this amp would not do justice to these drivers as i said earlier. - When you say its "good cheap and reliable" - what do you base this on? is it just overall price then thats fine depending on your application - however i will say this - i judge an amp by its TESTED not claimed power output in RMS - and most importantly, its THD at this max level of output (total harmonic distortion) - a very very good amp (especially in home audio for instance where the signal to noise ratio is very low given the high voltage and less chance of a voltage drop in a AC circuit) will have a THD of 0.005% or under (my house amp has 0.001%) -

these cheaper amps such as boss and audioline etc firstly in my experience are overrated in their output (600w PMPO will translate to 100wrms if that) - and secondly the THD is very high on these type of amps - ever opened one up?? - the power supply is very small - insufficient to pump out enough clean signal to be recognised.

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car audio help Tue, 25 October 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 17:40

whats so good about dnyaudio. never heard of them...audio line is another cheap but good brand. i bought a 2 channel 600W amp for 120 bucks and its been really good and reliable...JB HI-FI is haveing a 60% off sale on car audio gear

lol
RA28GT
Regular

November 2003
Re: Car audio help Tue, 25 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous message
smt_007 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 20:25

They will sound very dry, what type of music do you listen too?.

Dry? They are much more netural drivers when compared to the likes of focal and infinity, but i wouldn't go as far as to say they will sound dry. It's all deapendent on your ears anyway, some people prefer a more netural sound while others prefer a much brighter sound.

trd3sg wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 15:57

the crossovers are also well developed to reduce any distortion and delivers as much as possible, the correct frequencies to the right speaker so as not to damage them.

Actually i'm not a fan of dynaudio's crssovers, they tend to generate some distortion at the crossover points due to their 24db rolloffs, not so much of a problem for the 2way models, but is quite evident with their 3 way systems (system 340 and 360).
But this problem can be reduced somewhat with correct equalisation.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 14:16]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speedo Correction
Next Topic:MR2 and SOARER Stud Pattern - Please HELP!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:17:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073421001434326 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.