Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Gearbox adapter plate.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Gearbox adapter plate. Mon, 24 October 2005 03:55 Go to next message
Hi guys, I have had a couple of enquiries on how I adapted an IS200 6 speed gearbox to a 4AGE.

Well here is how it was done:

Purchased a 12mm thick piece of aluminium alloy, of approximate dimensions to suit, about $35.00.

Marked out a 25mm grid pattern on the plate.

Attached a socket to the centre of the plate,the socket was equivalent in size to the IS200 gearbox input shaft diameter. Yes it was ground down on the drive end, so that the bell housing sat flat on the plate.

Placed bellhousing on plate, indexed the top of the gearbox with the grid lines. Scribed around the bell housing.

Attached another socket, this time to suit the T50 box, again surfaced to allow bellhousing to sit flush on plate. Again scribed around the smaller bell housing after again indexing the top of the box to the grid lines.

Had to rotate this box a little, to get bolt holes away from the edges of other holes.

Drilled all holes for T50, and IS200 box mounts points. Countersunk all the holes for the T50 box, on the rear side of the plate. Had to also countersink one of holes for the IS200 box. Used a JIGSAW to cut out the centre of the plate.

Went to the local nuts and bolts supplier, and got a handfull of countersunk hex head bolts, and some helicoils. Placed helicoils into 4AGE G'box mount holes, and bolted plate to engine with the aforementioned countersunk bolts. Had to install 1 countersunk bolt to the front side of the plate, before fitting. IS200 box, now bolts to the plate.

Double row pilot bearing will support the gbox input shaft.

We will be using a 1J starter motor, and we will be using a custom made 1G-GTE flywheel, centre drilled to mount to the 4AGE crankshaft.

The adapter plate, has worked on this conversion, because the bell housing of the new box, was so much bigger than the previous box.

I could not in this instance utilize a box to bell housing adapter, as the IS200 box casing, and bellhousing are a cast as one.

Hope this helps, cheers Chuck.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 04:55]

Send a private message to this user    
eurospec86
Regular

October 2004
Re: Gearbox adapter plate. Mon, 24 October 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was looking for this info, couple questions, what are you doin about how far back the j160 gearstick is compared to a t50/w55? Im thinking about putting this box in my ae86 behind my 4agte, I currently have a w55 and the bellhousing to mate to 4ag block but im considering selling them to use the j160, how many advantagses does the j160 have ona 4agte application in your opinion. Also do u happen to have any pics of adapter plate? Is it worthh it to sell my w55 to do this conversion in long run? thanks
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gearbox adapter plate. Tue, 25 October 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gear lever position, has caused a few drama's. The engine now sits a little further forward than I had hoped for. The tunnel hole has been cut all the way back to the cross body support web. The strange cradle for the shifter, also meant the tunnel had to "massaged".

My opinion for what is is worth, I would probably stick with a W58. The 6 speed just means you will always be in the torque/power zone. But with a properly sized turbo, a couple of hundred revs here or there will not make any difference. So yeah unless you are dead set on the six speed box, just use Bill Sherwoods bellhousing, and a W55/57/58.

Cheers Chuck.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Gearbox adapter plate. Tue, 25 October 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use an Mazda MX5 6 speed gearbox behind a 4age, I had a problem with the position of the gear lever(too far back) so I used an Mazda RX8 extension housing that moved the gear lever 160mm further forward and fixed my problem, basically the RS200 Alteza, MX5, RX8 and S15 use basically the same gear box made by Asian, this allowed me to mix and match to suit what I needed.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Gearbox adapter plate. Wed, 26 October 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
you can always make a remote!not hard to make and work well to bring it foward to the right position.i have done loads of them on sportsedans as the 350 chev etc actually sits coles to beside the driver so the hollinger sits way back.give me a yell if you want to move your engine back.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Monitoring intake temps.
Next Topic:whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:53:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050520896911621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.