Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Speedo Correction Mon, 24 October 2005 15:34 Go to next message
Hi,

Im going to put some 17" rims on my sisters camry tomorrow, so they can be used while im still looking for a car.

the model of camry she has, ive been told is the DV10 (or something similar), its a 1993 Widebody, 5sfe.

stock, her car came with 14" rims, and i am well aware that 17" rims are not quite in favour with the constabulary.

i also know that because of the greater circumferance of the 17" wheels, that her speedo will be out of whack, in that she will be going faster than the speedo is showing.

is there a program on the net somewhere where i can calculate the difference in the speeds? so i know whenm the speedos showing 50km/h its actually 60 or similar?!?!

they're only going on for shits and giggles, they arent staying there or id get the speedo recalibrated, properly.

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Mon, 24 October 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tyre ie 205 times the profile ie .45 times two (both sidewalls) then add the rim size ie 17 x 25.4. And the times by pi to get the circumference (not necessary needed you can work out the difference just by the diameter as pi is a constant in both).

(205 x .45 x 2) + (17x25.4) = 616.3mm Wink

Alternatively just post the tyre width and profile of both tyres and i'll do the calcs for you.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rona, i dont need to know the circumferance man, i have learnt how to work out all that stuff already, of course i could jut grab a tape measure and walk into my garage where the rims are now sitting.

what i wanted to know was, how i could calculate the difference in the speedo readings between the two circumferances.

i.e. the difference seems to be about 10-12cm in circumferance, which should translate into a difference of about 10% or so in the speedo difference (i.e. the speedo will show a lower sped than what the cars actual speed is.

It doesnt matter now anyway, ive tried the rims on, the fronts fit perfectly, however, the back rims do not, since the sidewall bulges out a bit and hits the strut... ghey.

ive also found out the model number is the SVX10, and that camrys are 5x114.3 PCD.

Ill upload some pics in a few minutes.

Eldar.O.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Higher than a Soarer.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/Camry/cam1.JPG

Rear Tyre sidewall mashing itself into the strut.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/Camry/cam2.JPG

And i wondered why it wouldnt fit???!!!? right is stock.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/Camry/cam3.JPG

I know it needs to be lowered, but my sister wont listen, and with the way ive seen some camry drivers drive, it think it should stay this way...

Rims will go on a cressida, when i get round to buying one...

Eldar.O.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyre calculation thing

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once you know how far out your speedo is. how do you fix it?

interested because thinking from going from 14's to 17's aswell
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you very much wilo, exactly what i was looking for!!

Eldar.O.

edit: Havabeer, you can get the speedometer recalibrated, i dont have a clue where i would get this done, ytour best bet is to ask a wheel/trye store, bob jane t mart for example, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 08:04]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no problems eldar0.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went from 14's to 17's and at around 100km/h my speedo is out around 5k's. So i just sit on 95 or so Very Happy

That's a great site, does anyoe know how to fix the the problem DIY?
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit slow toof, beat you too it
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well umm, I sorta have a real dodgy idea on how to correct ya speedo, prob wouldn't work, i dunno.
But jack up ya driven wheels, start it and bring it to like 50km/h or something and then if ya got the cover off ya dash panel u can pull the lil needle off and put it back on to like 45km/h... but thats like a far out idea, then again i can't think of any other way u could do it.

PS. my tyres would be scrubing against the strut wall too if i hadn't put some 5mm spacers in.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need spacers or get the right offset Wink .
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 20:35

you need spacers or get the right offset Wink .

exactly.
your problem (in that pic) isnt tyres its incorrect offset. Either get wheel spacers or get rims with less positive offset. DO NOT drive around like that.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Speedo Correction Tue, 25 October 2005 23:07 Go to previous message
IM NOT driving around like that, hence why i took them OFF the car.

and no, its not the rim at all, its because of the sidewall, the rims clear the strut by 5-7mm, but the result of the extra wide tyres for the rims means that they bulge out and rub.

AND the rims already have a 10mm spacer pcd changer on them.

stock offset on the rims i beleive is +60/70 already

Eldar.O.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RC superchrger on trading post
Next Topic:Car audio help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:57:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070328712463379 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.