Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » JZA70 or SW20 Turbo??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 30 October 2005 11:31 Go to next message
Hey guys, I like both of these, they are similar priced, but what would suit my application better??
*I want a car that looks sweet (personal choice, I like both) *reliable (daily driver)
*economical
*ease of aftermarket stuff
*Track weapon (most important to me!)

Looking at something that will run mid-low 13's, with bolt on stuff (Stock turbos)

In terms of space, it is not an issue for me. I really like the MR2, but then, i really like the 1JZGTE.

I guess, the only thing putting me off the MR2 is its harder to work on, and the thing turning me off the JZA, is the age, but i guess its not too far off the 2.
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 30 October 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*track weapon + *economical + *mid 13 1/4 = ?
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 30 October 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An MR2 with bolt ons will do all of the above. Aftermarket support is where you can find it though, but it has a large following in the states.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 30 October 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 02:39

*track weapon + *economical + *mid 13 1/4 = ?

Arial Atom?
Surprised
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 30 October 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

Well, Economical, at least 400km per t ank. My IS200, which runs low 13's, gets almost 500km a tank, and handles well.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Mon, 31 October 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either car will suit your purposes.

The both look sweet as you say, so that's a moot point.

Both should be reliable as each other, but bear in mind, they're both a little bit older than your IS. The MR2 is probably a slightly newer design though. You always hear some 3S owner complaining about head gaskets once you up the boost which amuses me.

The MR2 should win on economy being the lighter car with the smaller engine, but the Supra should have the bigger tank, so they should both achieve your 400km goal, driving dependent.

Both cars should have plenty of aftermarket support.

Track weapon will probably be dependent on your driving and the track. The MR2 will be the more nimbler handler, but the Supra should have the advantage in it's high-speed stability due to it's weight and wheelbase.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Mon, 31 October 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 10:59

Thanks.

Well, Economical, at least 400km per t ank. My IS200, which runs low 13's, gets almost 500km a tank, and handles well.

Saying how many km a tank is fairly worthless. That's not your cars economy, that's how large your fuel tank is.
Economy is how many kms you get from 10ltrs of petrol in normal driving.
For eg, my Integra gets between 9ltrs and 10ltrs per 100kms.
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Mon, 31 October 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woot! Go the JZA70!!! Very Happy

Bit of suspension work will have it a good competitor for an SW20, it would cost alot more to get an SW20s power upto that of a BPU JZA70.

JZA70s are quite rare in these parts. If you get a genuine JZA70 instead of a converted MA70 you will have cult-classic car. If you get a turbo MR2...you will have a turbo MR2. Razz
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Mon, 31 October 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get an ma70 track weapon from japan, cheap as!!!
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Mon, 31 October 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u do choose the jza70, might be worth ur while to fly over to perth to purchase one

seem to alot more up for grabs over here, ive heard that oerth had one or 2 of the only complience plate holders back in the day for them, so more stayed out west

over last year ive seen genuine jza70s sell from 9k to about 14k in perth, were as other east they see to demand alot more for the same thing.
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Tue, 01 November 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 13:46

Track weapon will probably be dependent on your driving and the track. The MR2 will be the more nimbler handler, but the Supra should have the advantage in it's high-speed stability due to it's weight and wheelbase.

Which is exactly why the MR2 would be a better track car. Weight is the enemy for the track.

Also depends whether you intend to compete on the track, or just have some fun. The JZA70 will be much easier to drive quick, but the MR2 more rewarding.

Oh, and before anyone points out... yes, I am biased!
Wink
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Thu, 01 December 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70 all the way
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Thu, 01 December 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think ive decided on an *a70, they are more unique than an mr2. turbo A just as good as jza70? It has the same power, should have more torque
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Fri, 02 December 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 22:48

I think ive decided on an *a70, they are more unique than an mr2. turbo A just as good as jza70? It has the same power, should have more torque

but you get stuck with the fact there is a boat anchor under the hood...

*compared to the 1JZGTE*
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 04 December 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously there both awesome cars, i rekon if you find a JZA70 go for that but if not go the MR2.
At the end of the day there both awesome cars and i think you will be happy with either.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 04 December 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to throw another coin in the hat - what about a Gt4

you can get 500 + out of a tank , can nab mid thirteens easy , and lives the corners ..

Once again - it might not be the most supported car - but the support for thhe main things can all be had locally ( ecu , exhausts , turbos , intercoolers via me ) etc ..

good space good looks - a little more maintainance but cheaper than both to initially purchase
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 04 December 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sun, 04 December 2005 19:10

to throw another coin in the hat - what about a Gt4

you can get 500 + out of a tank , can nab mid thirteens easy , and lives the corners ..

Once again - it might not be the most supported car - but the support for thhe main things can all be had locally ( ecu , exhausts , turbos , intercoolers via me ) etc ..

good space good looks - a little more maintainance but cheaper than both to initially purchase

I always loved GT4, and if the budget could stretch, id love to get the ST205, to show up all the EVO's, but then, 4wd is not my thing. RWD is fun Very Happy
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 04 December 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70.

i just bought an MA70.

its getting JZed!

Eldar.O.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 or SW20 Turbo?? Sun, 04 December 2005 22:21 Go to previous message
26 K for a st205 group A on caresales atm

about $17K for a st185 group A ..

still - RWD is fun but awd has its merits