Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon11.gif  Is it a Carbie or i dunno Mon, 31 October 2005 23:43 Go to next message
When at idle my 4ac will shudder and go to stall. Does anyone have a solution to this problem, it is a stock standard 4ac, auto and previously had no probs.

Also when i looked at the carb there is a screw at the rear, what does that do?

I have had no experience with carbs, EFI i know but carbs no, please advise.

cheers
Leeroy

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 23:57]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it do it mostly when hot etc?

it may be a long shot, but on my mums 4AC, the ignition module was failing intermittently. what would happen is that the idle would drop, and you had to bump it way up to idle.. then when the prob stopped, it would idle around 3grand.. it would randomly start and stop occuring

it kept happening more and more until we figured it was the ignition, swapped the ignitor, and no more probs Wink

so yeah.. if you can borrow an ignitor to check.. might be a good idea
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I presume the idle is low?

If so, there should be a screw on the throttle linkage. Screw this in such that with no pedal pressure, the throttle is slightly more open. This will stop the stall problem, but chances are the mixtures will also be out. For this, you have three options: take it to someone else to tune it, play with the mixture screw yourself and hope for the best, or get yourself a manometer, do some reading and tune it properly.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it happens from startup. I have wound up the idle (cant tell exactly cause i have a clock instead of tacho) and it is not stalling, but still I would prefer it running goodly.

shall do that one thanks, will a 4age one work in place?

cheers old rolla.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh if it's just a small difference then is probably not the ignitor Wink

the ignitor is a bosch 4 pin.. similar to used on a few different cars...

but yeah, if you have to wind up idle a little... go thru the normal plugs, leads, dizzy cap, idle mixture scenario...

if it's still crap, you can try and clean out the carby a bit..but unless it is locked by crap, it's not going to help much...

have fun Very Happy
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mixture screw is probably capped off on 4ac's due to emissions control?
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i took the carb cover off tonight to notice that the butterfly is not returning, any solutions there?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 01 November 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the choke is stuck on?
Will it push back manually?
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Wed, 02 November 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, i do not have a choke in the car at all (88 model)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Wed, 02 November 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leighp wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 09:03

nope, i do not have a choke in the car at all (88 model)

If it's carby, don't you mean it has an automatic choke?
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Wed, 02 November 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry my bad, I was not thinking with that last reply. It is an Auto choke, does anyone here know how to fix it....Appoligies Dale_ta22 u are correct.

Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Wed, 02 November 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now i need to know how to fix that issue...... anyone or any carbmasters here??
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Wed, 02 November 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a common problem with 4ac carbs is intermitten stalling, the problem is associated with a diaphram located on the carby, it is designed to operate at certain manifold vacuums and enrichen the mixture, when these carbs get old this diaphram is operated at idle, the rich mixture stalls the motor, generally the motors will start immeduiately, to fix this problem all you do is put a ball bearing in the vacuum line so the diaphram doesn't work, it doesn't affect operation of the car thru the rev range as this device was for emmission control. I have done heaps and they all work sweet afterwards!
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Fri, 04 November 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you direct me to what part of the carby where this line goes in/out pls
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 08 November 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking at the carby from the front, on the front/left side of the carb is a diaphram(alloy) with a vac line coming off it, block this vac line.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it a Carbie or i dunno Tue, 15 November 2005 07:26 Go to previous message
i shall try, thanks heaps man
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Unknown Twin Carby setup for AE86(pics)
Next Topic:What car come with 4ac Engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:36:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004417896270752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.