Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
error codes on 96 model v6 camry Fri, 04 November 2005 02:39 Go to next message
Hi guys,
My parents camry (vienta) is having some issues starting. It cranks over for a couple of seconds before it will start and when it does it smells very rich.

So far they have had 2 mechanics look at it and has cost them $700 for new leads and new fuel pump. Both of these things have done absolutely nothing to fix the problem. So I suggested we check for error codes.

Problem is I have never done it before. I have found http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1 _codes.html detailing how to do it for a Supra. But the camry doesn't have the TE1 and E1 pins. It has E1 but not TE1. It had Tt and Tc IIRC.

So which pins do I have to bridge?

Thanks in advance
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Fri, 04 November 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What pins are there in there?
Get a pic if possible.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't worry I am blind Embarassed I found the TE1 but needed the zoomed in picture to find it Razz.

Will the codes be the same as the ones for the Supra?

After all the effort I put in to get this pic, I am posting it up anyway. Very Happy

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL1006/3462116/7513250/117624517.jpg
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright, didn't get any codes on the Camry. Got heaps on my car though Razz (as expected)

So any ideas where to start. Car takes at least 5 seconds to start . Doesn't seem to be any different with cold start or warm start. The engine cranks over but doesn't start for a while. When it is cold and it starts it revs at 900rpm then goes straight to around 2000rpm and then slowly comes back down as it warms up.

When the car starts a puff of fuel smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Has new plugs and leads, fuel pump and filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do they run a fuel pump ecu?

Bridge Fp and +B and see if it makes a difference starting.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just did that and didn't make a difference the first time.

We turned it off and did it again and then it started instantly but my mum said that it would usually do that anyway. So I will try that again in 20 minutes or so.

Was that to make sure that there was fuel pressure as soon as the ignition is turned on?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 17:37

Was that to make sure that there was fuel pressure as soon as the ignition is turned on?

No, that was to bypass the fuel pump control module if the car had one...

Fuel pressure regulator?

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mechanic said they checked fuel pressure so I assume the FPR's are good. Then they changed the fuel pump anyway. Rolling Eyes
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I would be surprised if it had a cold start injector, so it sounds like it isn't getting cold start / or start enrichment...

Does a code get thrown if you unplug the ECU water temp sensor?

Is the ECU getting the starter signal?

I have no idea Razz

Cheer
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking water temp sensor also but I would have thought it would have picked it up if it was stuffed already?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unplug it and see if it is throwing a code? Or even better remove it and test the resistance versus temperature yourself Smile

It may have a corroded/high resistance connection, or failed such that it reads hot when it is cold or something? But still be within possible parameters (spurting ideas).

The ECU will only throw the code related to the starter signal if it doesn't start after 15 seconds I beleive, so that may also be a reason for no enrichment (if it starts within 15secs I don't think it will set the code). Check this at the pin on the ECU (will need to get a diagram to find out which pin is STA Wink).

Another option would be to take it to toyota and let them get the ODBII data out of it? (I though OBD2 came out in 96 so it should have it..?).

Cheer
Wilbo
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: error codes on 96 model v6 camry Sat, 05 November 2005 14:08 Go to previous message
Thats what i thought, need the hand scanner to get the ODBII data, there is a plug for it under the dash somewhere. Might be different on 96 camry's.

Anyhow keep checking all things fuel related, wonder if there's a slight leak that cuases it not to start until the fuel has built up pressure. (one explanation anyway)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:267Degree Wade Cams or 86kw Big Port cams for 100kw 4age
Next Topic:can u put a sprinter t series center flange on a ta22 center?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 13:29:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077290534973145 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.