Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CAMEL
Newcomer

October 2005
Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 03:49 Go to next message
My old Corona keeps overheating on the shortest of drives.
It the 2L 6 cylinder mark 2, 1972 model, the motor purrs great, got gearbox problems, but it still goes.

But it just constantly overheats.
This morning to work, it was running very cool, and then it just stopped on me, still idling, no power and no drive, i got out and i found i had left the radiator cap off from the previous night, and a small bit of coolant had spilled out, but i screwed it back on and it went off fine. And after this 12 mile drive the car was cool.

This afternoon, i only drive 3-4 miles, and shes cooking, fastly approaching the 'H' level. Confused
But there is still a full radiator,
There is always a full radiator, no leaks and no water loss at all.
Unless, there is something i dont know?

Some have said there may be a block in the head somewhere?
but i wouldnt know,

And i have been told to take the thermostat out to make it run cool?
Could there just be a problem in the thermostat? Yet i dont even know how it works Very Happy

I dont know much about car mechanics, lots less about Toyotas, so if there is anything else that may be wrong can you please suggest something Cool
Cheers Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, usually a thermostat stays shut when the engine is cold, so it heaps up quiker, and reached optimal operating temperature quiker.
it basically regulates how much water will be cooled by the radiator and therefore controls the temperature of the engine. usually when its shut water will cycle throught the engine not going to the radiator, when its hot itll open up and let water through the radiator.

having said that i know that the range rover thermostat works in the oposite way, and they dont have a cap on the radiator, but on a water tank.

if you remove the thermostat it will make your car run cool. but it will be too cool and after a while will cause extra wear on your engine as the oil wont be at the right temp. mine was stuck open (same as not having one) for a few weeks and it didnt do any damage.

but i would say (if yours is a conventional engine) that your one is just stuck open and needs to be replaced.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently car manufacturers just put thermostats in there for shits and giggles so just pull it out Rolling Eyes

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like skip said with the thermostat.
It'll give the motor "hot spots" but hey who cares right ? Its like i say, most women shouldn't wear kickers under their short little skirts so that the coolness can circulate. But the ugly ones, like your motor, should wear jeans, period. Get a new one and keep it in.

Can you see any gunk floating the coolant ? It might also be an idea to get it flushed.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gauge accuracy????
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: Overheating problems Fri, 04 November 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 06:22

gauge accuracy????

no. gauge not an issue, almost certianly a thermostat. If not thermostat check water pump and drive belts. My money is on the thermostat though.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you actually read what you typed you would notice you probably answered your own question. u forgot to put capon and it drove fine. you put cap back on and it overheats. therefore that would say faulty cap. for $10 you should just replace it anyway to be safe. and do thermostat and new coolant.
CAMEL
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 22:50

if you actually read what you typed you would notice you probably answered your own question. u forgot to put capon and it drove fine. you put cap back on and it overheats. therefore that would say faulty cap. for $10 you should just replace it anyway to be safe. and do thermostat and new coolant.

Very Happy Laughing
Hmmm

seems like that, well what may my cap be doing to cause so much difference?

And
Quote:

"Apparently car manufacturers just put thermostats in there for shits and giggles so just pull it out "

Well i would take that as a sarcastic comment,
but with my other car (now in pieces Sad ) many people with the old mini, have told me not to worry about a thermostat, as they have never had one,
so it didnt seem so silly to me?
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be your head or gasket's stuffed.

open the oil cap and see if there's any cream on it, or do a service and see the colour of the oil i.e. black, honey comb or white coffee?

black or honeycome = good
white coffee = bye bye head or gasket or both.

also do the thermostat, radiator cap and new coolant if it's old. cheap and effective.

don't listen to anyone that tells you taking out the thermostat is good. it's not!. i do believe older cars should use different thermostats for different seasons i.e. warmer season, open cooler, colder season, open hotter.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thermostats are there to allow for faster warmup, but ALSO to slow the water so it has time to cool.

check that your thermostat is not broken, ie it is not staying open when cold, or is not opening opening when hot.
not putting one in cos "someone else never had one" is a stupid idea Wink

having the cap on should not make that much difference.

have you checked that the radiator is actually getting hot?

thermostst should be same for all seasons.. the engine doesn't know what season it is Wink it just knows what temp it wants to run best at Razz. Toyota do not recommend swapping thermostats for Hokkaido, and thats 40deg in summer, -20 or so in winter..

if the thermostst is ok, maybe the impeller has dropped of the water pump?

start car, run till warm, take off radiator cap (see if it gets pressurised) and se if you can see water flowing across.. rev engine and see if move faster.

do the simple things... or take it to a bodgy mchanic

oh, also check your compression Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and why not check if gauge is reading accurately??? stranger things have happened..
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Overheating problems Sat, 05 November 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say change cap and see how that goes. if that doesnt work just remove the thermostat and drive it for a week (that wont hurt anything) if it doesnt overheat you may have found the problem. if it still does then put the thermostat back in or a new one and keep looking at things. radiator is prolly also blocked.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Overheating problems Sun, 06 November 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replace the thermostate they cost half of bugger all anyway.
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Overheating problems Sun, 06 November 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Water pump seal?
CAMEL
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: Overheating problems Sun, 06 November 2005 10:15 Go to previous message
Well i got a new radiator cap, 8 bucks Wink
I dunno yet if it did anything to help, i only took it into the bush for a bit of a rally around in the water and mud, so i couldnt really get an accurate temp reading.
The water does flow across the radiator,
however, it shoots up a fair bit when accelerator pressed,
i know what that may or may not mean.
but no 'creamy/milky' stuff under oil cap.

i dont really 'care' for the condition of the motor, i just want it to last for another few months of driving to and from work, or at least till i get my other car back from its almost complete mechanical overhaul,
but a bloke at work has a compression tester that he said he'd lend me, tomorrow is a holiday for us down here, yippee Cool , so ill ask on tuesday

such a fun rally car it is Very Happy even if it is gutless, and it overheats Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sgte vs 3sge block
Next Topic:traction difference??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:00:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057740211486816 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.