Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » Forums and CLOSING !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 08 November 2005 13:12 Go to next message
These forums will be closing soon !.
They will be locked but open to search and browse the exiting content.

I suggest you copy any information you may wish to keep that is stored in your PM's as they will no longer be available.

Please take the time to register for the new Toymods forums currently found here:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/

New Forum registrations are checked and manually processed so allow a few days to receive your email confirmation or rejection notice.

Thanks,
  Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 09 November 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it worth posting this announcement in some of the other forums as well?? Not too many people look in here.

Is there a confirmed date yet??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 09 November 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But the new forum has issues and sucks ass because of them.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 09 November 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there an actual date for the closure?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 15:21

agreed
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 11:55

agreed

Really?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When the forums are closed can you still read the profiles?.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 12:55

agreed

for the minor "issues" the new forums have, they have countless more positive features that make them a well worthwhile move.

You will see.
whatthe?
Regular

August 2005
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 12:55

agreed

Such as what? Ive yet to notice any disadvantages....
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my main gripe - the completely unreliable *new post* indicator...

which i see as a rather fundamental forum function
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 10 November 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 06:41

my main gripe - the completely unreliable *new post* indicator...

Yeah this and the fact that new posts are new one minute and then not new the next Confused How the fuck are you meant to keep track of new posts?
Also having to select mark this forum read each freakin time is ghey as all get out.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 11 November 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont like those things either.... but beyond that the features Vbulletin provide far outweight these gripes in my opinion.

you've all heard the story of why the change is happening and all the reasoning/justifications, so i dont need to repeat myself.

Unforuntanetly guys, we just cant please everyone and get everything we want..... believe me, we've tried to here!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 11 November 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of interest is there an actual date in mind that the forums are gonna be closed by. We have a notice saying they are closing soon, but soon to different ppl can mean very different things.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 11 November 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 13:34

i dont like those things either.... but beyond that the features Vbulletin provide far outweight these gripes in my opinion.

you've all heard the story of why the change is happening and all the reasoning/justifications, so i dont need to repeat myself.

Unforuntanetly guys, we just cant please everyone and get everything we want..... believe me, we've tried to here!

Bullshit. At least one of the issues I listed is a bug, not just a missing or new feature.
Lets take for example the invisible option, it doesn't work! Now are you going to tell me this is a great feature or are you going to agree that there are some bugs?
No matter how good new software features are, any bugs will always out weigh them!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 11 November 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 07:41

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sat, 12 November 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this forum closing i see as a great oppertunity not to sign back up for me!

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 13 November 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 16:40

this forum closing i see as a great oppertunity not to sign back up for me!

Good Bye and Good Riddance

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/clipart/dance.gif
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is a shame that these bugs exist, and i do agree that they are not desirable..... unfortunately they were unexpected at the time we purchased the forum software. The board is committed to the move, and the forum/website guys have been working pretty hard to try out weed out all the bugs and problems.

Read/unread thread indicator

This seems to be a problem with Vbulletin software that was completely unexpected. I believe josh has been doing some research and enquiries with the developers and their support forum to try and find out if this is something they intend to fix with their future upgrades.

Invisible user function:

I cant comment on this one really, other than to say i'll bring it up at the board meeting and see what Josh etc have to say and let you know. I agree it "should" work as intended - but again this was an unforseeable bug that was just unexpected.

So far that's all the bugs i can really think of, please let me know if you are aware of any others so I can bring them up with the board and IT guys to have them looked at.

Yes these are important features of a forum, i wouldnt go so far as to say "fundamental" myself - but they were unexpected and unidentified when the selection process was taking place to choose which software suited our requirements.

The board has some very specific requirements from the Toymods forum:

- it had to be integrated into our club website
- it had to be faster/more efficient than Fudforums
- administration tasks/functions needed to be more powerful and less of a "hack"
- had to take emphasis away from the post counter or remove it altogether
- had to allow customisable user groups that automatically update a user's priveldges based upon their contribution to the forums
- following the above, needs to limit the abilities of new signups from non-club-members so that they cant post for sale threads etc
- moderated signup procedure with same level of information given by a club member
- more flexible and customisable moderating controls
- have a structure that promotes and encourages technical content and discourages wookies.

i'm sure there were more requirements.... and after assesing what was possible with FudForums, it was decided that a new software was needed to enable these requirements.

Shane i'm not trying to be a thorn in your side buddy, im honestly saying that we have tried to fulfil all our requirements whilst at the same time maintaining or improving on the forums functions and useability for the end user. Unfortunately a couple of unforseen bugs have arisen - so we are working on them now.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
(honestly!)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well now that you have admitted there are bugs i'm happy. I was getting sick of hearing about new great features every time I mentioned the bugs.
Now that you have admitted there are bugs, I put it forward that these forums stay open and available until the bugs are sorted.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 12:02

the developers and their support forum to try and find out if this is something they intend to fix with their future upgrades.

can i get some contact details too and ask wtf they were thinking releasing software with these kinds of glitches.

whilst i agree with the list of requirements re: administration, youve got to look at end user functionality as well.

at or near the top of the list for user requirements, id list:

fast access
intuitive layout
acurate, real time thread indicators and notification
effective search tools

this id consider a fundamental basis of function for any end user
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 18:13

can i get some contact details too and ask wtf they were thinking releasing software with these kinds of glitches.

haha, I was wondering the same thing. If I bought a box of software that didn't work the way its advertised, I would be freakin pissed Confused
And I would most certainly be asking for all my money back Rolling Eyes
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another bug I just found.

You can send PM's before you are approved.

I got a PM from someone who said they couldn't post.
Tried to click on their profile, I didn't have the priviledges to see it. Searched through memberlist, the user name doesn't exist it.

Kinda pointless with the approval process if people can PM before being approved.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 15 November 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New forums look great Guys , ive registered but i cant post , but i can view Smile

just a little problem with it though , there is no State section .. as in 6 sections for 6 states for state events !

how are us WA'ers suppose to know when the next cruise is on ? or the next SA road trip to perth Razz

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There certainly is a STATES section and it actually lists 7 states Smile

http://www.toymods.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 2

coFF33 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 00:10

New forums look great Guys , ive registered but i cant post , but i can view Smile

just a little problem with it though , there is no State section .. as in 6 sections for 6 states for state events !

how are us WA'ers suppose to know when the next cruise is on ? or the next SA road trip to perth Razz

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cOFEE, there are subsections - you didnt look very hard did you? Razz Click "cruises and events".... now see the list before your very eyes Shocked

ed, before I go on about your neverending love of teh 7M, i should defend the board's actions by saying that for all the requirements we had i think we did pretty well meeting 75% of your user requirements and 98% of our admin requirements.... i've also heard on the grapevine that the latest update might very well be fixing the bug you are crying about..... or maybe you are crying cos you had to give in and ditch teh 7M Razz
(jokes mate Smiley =)

Peewee, dunno about that one, i'll tell josh.

blacksupra, j00 is a massif dong, and j00 is even more evillah dan Skelitor.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing shitting me about the new forums is the minimum letter count in a post. In numerous threads for sale and the christmas dinner one for example I have wanted to just type pm sent. But no thats no long enough for the forum arghhh.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then it's intended function is working.

it's been done to reduce whoring and stupid one word/smily responses.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 16:32

Another thing shitting me about the new forums is the minimum letter count in a post. In numerous threads for sale and the christmas dinner one for example I have wanted to just type pm sent. But no thats no long enough for the forum arghhh.

yeah whats the point of bullshit like that?

toymods is not the only Toyota forum on the net.....supply and demand forces will see the decline of toymods if all these anti user features arnt removed.....

not to mention the redicules signup proceedure the likes of which I have never seen on a car forum before.....the worst ive ever encountered before was a minmum post count of 50 before u could post up in the forsale section and having to use a legit non-free email....

a little bit of power stokes the ego of some it seems..
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 17:14

then it's intended function is working.

it's been done to reduce whoring and stupid one word/smily responses.

who really cares about minor things like that?
it takes .001 of second to scroll past a one word/smily comment like that.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... all said and dome, and whinges aside, can i just say HOW GOOD the tech section has been on the new forums. fucking good quality. if that can be maintained through all these new admin features, then i guess its worth it...

and if 'forces' cull the depth of shit, im all for it!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 13:32

You don't need PM sent now.
You get an email telling you that you have received a PM.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 17:30

toymods is not the only Toyota forum on the net.....supply and demand forces will see the decline of toymods if all these anti user features arnt removed.....

not to mention the redicules signup proceedure the likes of which I have never seen on a car forum before.....the worst ive ever encountered before was a minmum post count of 50 before u could post up in the forsale section and having to use a legit non-free email....

so you are saying you want to be able to post one word replies, and allow any wookie to come in and scam stuf in the for sale section???

this is why the new forums were chosing, to stop whoring like you want to do Razz there are plenty of whoring forums out there... hot4's etc Wink

feel free to join them Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 16 November 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 20:23

... all said and dome, and whinges aside, can i just say HOW GOOD the tech section has been on the new forums. fucking good quality. if that can be maintained through all these new admin features, then i guess its worth it...

and if 'forces' cull the depth of shit, im all for it!

kinda like the old "e-groups" days Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 17 November 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 01:40

chrisss wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 17:30

so you are saying you want to be able to post one word replies, and allow any wookie to come in and scam stuf in the for sale section???

this is why the new forums were chosing, to stop whoring like you want to do Razz there are plenty of whoring forums out there... hot4's etc Wink

feel free to join them Wink

Thank you for saying what i was unable to say without being rude oldcorollas Nod
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Thu, 17 November 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just thought it funny that he doesn't like the new features....

does that mean the new features are to prevent exactly this type of user Shocked shock horror Wink
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 18 November 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1,

The invisabilty feature is not enabled for general forum members and won't be.

Ed,

We are working on the forum indicators. They are an annoying clitch in a new forum that looks to acheive the improvements we were after. We are looking into the new release which has hopefully addressed this issue. On the whole tho the Tech section is a great example of this.

Chriss,

Feel free not to try our "rediculous sign up procedure" you not bothering will prove its worth !

In summary, the problems with the "old" forum greatly outway some issues with the "new " one. These old will disapear without further notice. No set date as yet it could happen tonight or in two weeks time. The Changeover involves a number of board members who just need to get together. First chance they get it will happen.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 18 November 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And on the point of other forums not being as hard to get into. there are several car forums out there that you need to sign up to and meet someone from the club before you are able to post in the forums. and as a result those forums are a wealth of information (if you like v8's) and the wookies are non existant, there is no flaming and there is a real club feel there.

Already as Ed has mentioned the quality of the forums content is up near the top shelf. If this is what the future holds bring it on..

Bugs are a huge pain in the Date however and I so hope they sort it out.
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Fri, 18 November 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we have say a day or two's notice just so we can back up our pm's etc. or lock the forums but leave it open for getting pm's?

Thanks
(i'm in the process of checking what pm's i want and what not)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 20 November 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATTN: Everyone....

SAVING YOUR PM's

There is now an option in the "move to" drop down box in your private messages which allows you to export your PM's to an XML or CSV file! So you can then take that exported file and save your PMs on your local hard drive Smiley =

NEW POST/NO NEW POST MARKERS ON NEW FORUMS

The new forums have just been updated to version 3.5.1, which has fixed the problem we were experiencing with the new post and no new post flags on the thread/sections listings.

I've done a bit of browsing around the forums, and it seems ot be working 100%!!

Ed, you can now stop crying Razz

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 20 November 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 17:22

SAVING YOUR PM's

There is now an option in the "move to" drop down box in your private messages which allows you to export your PM's to an XML or CSV file! So you can then take that exported file and save your PMs on your local hard drive Smiley =

Wanna clarify how to use this?
I did as above, but nothing happened...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 20 November 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You tick the box for the PMs you want saved, then go to the bottom of the page and select export to XML or CSV, then press the button.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 20 November 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, tick the box, the missing link!
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Sun, 20 November 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:22

SAVING YOUR PM's

Thanks Surprised
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:22

SAVING YOUR PM's

There is now an option in the "move to" drop down box in your private messages which allows you to export your PM's to an XML or CSV file! So you can then take that exported file and save your PMs on your local hard drive =)Ed, you can now stop crying Razz

Excellent - That works a treat!! Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to say it, but the post marker problem is still there Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and no, you view the thread, then go back its marked unread, click the forum section again then the topic will be marked read. Then go back to the main forum and the forum section will be marked read.

Better but still not 100% fixed. Wink
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 13:52

I hate to say it, but the post marker problem is still there Confused

Hmmm.. seems to depend a bit on how you navigate I think. If you use the navigation links at the top of the forum page to go back up a level it will clear the new post indicator (this is still dependant on having already marked posts in that particular section as read).

Or at least that's what I've found anyway.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem I am seeing is as follows:

I visit the main forum page and 7 out of the 8 forums are maked unread.
If I just sit on the main page and do nothing and refresh the page after an hour or so, some of the forums are no long marked as unread. But I didn't read them, so whats going on yo????

*Edit bad engrish*

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 03:02]

da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 thats the way vbulletin works. it wont actually permanently remember what you have or havent read. after a while it jsut flicks over to all read. thats from what i've experienced anyhow.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_horse wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 15:08

Cool1 thats the way vbulletin works. it wont actually permanently remember what you have or havent read. after a while it jsut flicks over to all read. thats from what i've experienced anyhow.

True I know the IDA forums does it as well.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thats crap. Whats the point of having a system that lets you know what you have and haven't read if it only works for 5 minutes and then forgets?
POS!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Mon, 21 November 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So when are you going to fix it for us Shane? Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 21:02]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 22 November 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.yabbforum.com/
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 22 November 2005 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 18:06

http://www.yabbforum.com/

that guy in purple is so sexy...... i'll believe anything he says Razz
http://www.yabbforum.com/img/yabbisback-back.png

lemme guess..... nerd programmer and his hired marketing team Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 18:50]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Tue, 22 November 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When is the closing down date?.
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 30 November 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys, i'm fairly new to this forum and was looking forward to joining the new one as it looks to be a better setup than here, but when going to register it asks for my home address,since i didnt put it i was rejected, now i don't know about you,but i won't put my address anywhere on the net, and this site cannot guarantee 100% that it is safe.
I can understand that it makes people responsible for what they do on here(bad trading etc) btu there is another side to it,,.........ok, so far i have posted up a couple of pics of my project car,a tubbed KE10, and was prepared to do a full build up thread on it, but i find it disturbing that someone could probably hack the site and database, get my address and steal parts ,tools,etc from my house.

Maybe some of you could benefit from seeing my buildup as i do all the work myself(yes, everything)and ive been modifying cars as a job for over 10 years in all different areas, but if i have to give my address to do that,i think ill pass thankyou!!!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 30 November 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 19:21

hi guys, i'm fairly new to this forum and was looking forward to joining the new one as it looks to be a better setup than here, but when going to register it asks for my home address,since i didnt put it i was rejected, now i don't know about you,but i won't put my address anywhere on the net, and this site cannot guarantee 100% that it is safe.
I can understand that it makes people responsible for what they do on here(bad trading etc) btu there is another side to it,,.........ok, so far i have posted up a couple of pics of my project car,a tubbed KE10, and was prepared to do a full build up thread on it, but i find it disturbing that someone could probably hack the site and database, get my address and steal parts ,tools,etc from my house.

Maybe some of you could benefit from seeing my buildup as i do all the work myself(yes, everything)and ive been modifying cars as a job for over 10 years in all different areas, but if i have to give my address to do that,i think ill pass thankyou!!!

Dude, the same person could easily get your address a number of ways.
Being on the net in general isn't safe.
Existing on this planet isn't safe.
If someone wants something, they will get it.
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 30 November 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a bit of an over-simplification, but if you think im wrong, tell me, would you give me your address just because i ask? im sure you wouldn't.and im sure the admin team wouldnt give me thier addresses either!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 30 November 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy posting you give out your IP address.
When someone finds that out, they know you ISP.
Then a bribe to some who works at the ISP, and they'll have the address/full name the account is registered too.

This is just one of a few ways people can find out where you live.

The internet is far from anonymous.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 13:21]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Forums and CLOSING ! Wed, 30 November 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
for example dude, the footprint you left with just that post:

Request: 202.7.166.163
connected to whois.arin.net [192.149.252.44:43] ...
connected to whois.apnic.net [202.12.29.13:43] ...
% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 202.7.160.0 - 202.7.191.255
netname: TPG-AU
descr: TPG Internet Pty Ltd.
admin-c: TH178-AP
tech-c: TH178-AP
remarks: Australian Internet Service Provider (ISP)
remarks: http://www.tpg.com.au
mnt-by: APNIC-HM
mnt-lower: MAINT-AU-TPGCOM
changed: hostmasterc@tpg.com.au 20040817
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20040817
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20041221
source: APNIC

role: TPG Hostmaster
address: TPG Internet Pty Ltd.
address: (Part of the Total Peripherals Group)
address: 65 Waterloo Road
address: North Ryde NSW 2113
phone: +61 2 9850 0800
fax-no: +61 2 9850 0817
e-mail: hostmaster@tpg.com.au
trouble: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- +-+-+-+-+-+-
trouble: Send all spam and abuse reports to abuse@tpg.com.au or
trouble: via our web interface at the link provided below:
trouble: http://www.tpg.com.au/about/enquiry.php?type=Repor t%20Spamming
trouble: .
trouble: Please include detailed information such as full message
trouble: headers and times in UTC
trouble: --
trouble: Send all network related issues such as routing to
trouble: trouble@tpg.com.au
trouble: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- +-+-+-+-+-+-
admin-c: TPG3-AP
tech-c: TPG2-AP
tech-c: TA56-AP
tech-c: EL55-AP
nic-hdl: TH178-AP
remarks: Australian Internet Service Provider (ISP)
remarks: http://www.tpg.com.au
notify: hostmaster@tpg.com.au
mnt-by: MAINT-AU-TPGCOM
changed: hostmaster@tpg.com.au 20040819
changed: hostmaster@tpg.com.au 20041106
source: APNIC
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FORUMS ARE CLOSED
Next Topic:Sign Up Disabled
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:44:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094799995422363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.