Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Anyone been to Fraser Is?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 00:20 Go to next message
Howdy all.. I'm heading up to Fraser Island this weekend for some camping/4wd'ing etc. Anyone else been up there and have any recommendations of things I should see or good camping spots ?

Cheers
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,
yes i have been. it is really awesome place but unfortunately greenies are getting the place closed up to vehicle access. i went there a few years ago now so not sure how much of the place you still have access to. however the good spots are all three of the fresh water lakes with Lake McKenzie being the best it has beautiful white sand beaches with crystal clear water. Champaigne pools is also very nice Eli creek Indian head. most of this stuff is on the east coast but it isn't far through the tracks to the other side. make sure you take a fishing rod because you might catch the tail end of the tailor spawning season and fishing is very easy. i timed myself and hooked a fish in three seconds Very Happy great fun. just see as much of the place as you can before it gets shut down Sad
Enjoy your trip,
Cheers, Calvin Smile
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome spot but dont take anything good....

my discman, camera, etc etc all came back full of sand and destroyed... even the stuff that never came out of my bag!! you'll end up with sand in *everything*

but defianntly worth going.
pushrod_POWA
Regular

January 2005
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 13:45

you'll end up with sand in *everything*

when i went with my family we managed to get sand in our gearbox. haha
but it is a heaps fun place definately worth it
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the gearbox !! shouldnt that be kinda sealed Confused Confused
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Ive been twice. Last time I was there was prob 10 years ago. Greenies were closing it down then. But it was a great place still. The fresh water creaks are kick ass, you can just cruise down them on a Lilo relaxing.

Enjoy it!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever you do, make sure you make the trip happen man!

Best camping trip I've ever been on. Spent 2 weeks there and loved every minute of it despite bad weather.

Apart from all the places already suggested (especially Lake McKenzie, make sure you float down Eli Creek and drop in a line at Waddy Point. Camp at some of the more isolated, rainforest sites too - great for having the shit scared out of you as it's just the most pitch black night you'll ever see. If a mate goes to bed early, make sure you make growling noises and scratch at the side of their tent to give them a bit of a rev.

Watch out for the Dingoes though - I got surrounded by 5 or 6 of them when taking the rubbish from our site to the bin one night. This time of year should be fine though, that was in the peak of breeding season.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Head right up north to the lighthouse at sandy cape, but just remember to turn left....hard left that is Laughing Laughing (im sure ppl know what im talking about)

Eli creek -> check
Fish at the Maheno wreck -> check
indian head -> check
lake mackenzie -> check

Take genuine polaroid sunnies and watch the fish in the waves as you partake in some beach fishing.

Take a boogie board to ride down the face of the massif sand dune at Waddy Point!

Don't know if it will still be open, but there is a road from the back of Orchid Beach that goes across to Platypus Bay. Not alot of people use it. I can say that if you go across there, the beach will be to yourself and it is like paradise, with white sands and crystal clear blue water, its truly amazing!

Take heaps of beer as its expensive on the island!

Yes, sand will penerate anything!
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget champaigne pools Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for these suggestions! I'm soooo looking forward to it now Smile
I've heard it can be some hard going getting up to the top, sandy point?

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 22:02

Thanks all for these suggestions! I'm soooo looking forward to it now Smile
I've heard it can be some hard going getting up to the top, sandy point?

Yeah make sure you are sober when working out the time it will take from orchid beach up to sandy cape and back.

Its 30km from orchid beach to the cape, but if the tide comes in, your 4wd will be sucked out to sea in some sections im afraid, so it does get very hairy once the tide comes in.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just try and travel when the tide is out. It can be quite dangerous to be driving when the tide is in. also be careful not to get to close to the water and get bogged and then have the car get flooded by incoming tide. however don't be detered by this though you just need to be careful Smile
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Wed, 09 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can, pop in to the pub at Rainbow Beach (I think) and check out all the pics on the walls of cars that were caught out by the tide. There's some crazy shit there. It's also an experience just to watch the bar flies - sitting at the bar with a big pile of change in front of them and a 'pot' in a styrofoam cup. Everytime it's empty, the bartender takes some of the change and fills it up without a word being said by either. Classic.

Oh yeah, take a pair of goggles and snorkel for Eli Creek!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Thu, 10 November 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the clear water lakes are great for cleaning gold aswell !
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Thu, 10 November 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Thu, 10 November 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 15:14

no

Always so helpful, Rob... Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Thu, 10 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 16:01

RobST162 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 15:14

no

Always so helpful, Rob... Razz

lol, thought you'd like that Razz
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Thu, 10 November 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for the info.. Most of all Rob I reckon that'll help with the trip most of all Smile

I'm heading off this afternoon so will take some pics and post em up when i'm back.

Cheers all
Joel
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Anyone been to Fraser Is? Mon, 14 November 2005 06:06 Go to previous message
No, It sucks. Stay away. You bastards. I used to go there when it was an, "out of the way place". Now it is crawling with drunken yobbos and vandals, and hoons on the beach. Did I say beach, it is a freaking highway now.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:9-year-old arguing with his mother about Chocolate Milk while playing Xbox Live
Next Topic:R.I.P CODEY 12/11/05
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:10:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049340724945068 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.