Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 01:44 Go to next message
ok i got a bit of smoke blowing when i get on the gas. its a combination of black from running rich when i boot it and white smoke as far as i can tell.

now, theres no smoke when i'm not on boost and from what i can tell the engine isnt knocking, its running quite well actually.
also, its only making 5psi.

so i'd presume its something cactus in the blower?
however, all oppinions would be valued. the real question is, is there anything i can do to test the blower? any other worthwhile tests for determining the cause of the smoke?

cheers.
-caibs.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White smoke is generally an indication of water being burnt...

And the fact that your making lower boost may suggest to investigate the possibility of a blown head gasket.

Is it using water?

Good luck,

jez
caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im 90% sure headgasket is fine, checked that already.

i was under the impression white smoke was oil being burnt?

took it for a sting just then, didnt blow any smoke.. weird. still want to address the problem though.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valve stem seal??
caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope. you can tell if your valve stem seals are gone if it smokes on start up - then goes away.
biggo
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im interested in opinions too as my half cut was doing the exact same, it could be water but the coolig system wasnt hooked up on mine and it had been sitting in the weather for a while but i dunno so any ideas?
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its prob just excess fuel being burned that would be the black stuff when u come on boost
caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have a feeling i was just being paranoid, it hasnt done it since so hopefully all is well. it is running slightly rich as well. i'll just keep an eye on the rear view mirror when i give it the gas and try to play it safe.

just out of interest though, is there any way you can check those blowers without taking them off?
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4agze smoke Sat, 12 November 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a huge scare with a heap of smoke pouring out the back of my car on the way to work a while ago. I booted it down the road to work and noticed a huge trail of white smoke behind me, it kept coming when i gave more gas. It turned out to be that one of the catch can tubes had a slight kink and the dipstick tube o-ring had gone bad and was letting oil past and onto the exhaust. Something easy to check
Kebin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze smoke Sun, 13 November 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i have that greyish smoke coming from mine too when i give it a boot and it aint my head gasket cause i had it comp tested.
i assumed it was my blower too
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4agze smoke Sun, 13 November 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blue smoke - oil
black smoke - fuel
white smoke - water

the insides of your head gasket probably has a small crack or leak into the combustion chamber, only way of telln is by takn off the head and takn a look.
caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
Re: 4agze smoke Sun, 13 November 2005 10:19 Go to previous message
well its been a few days and it hasnt done it yet, although i've been taking it pretty easy (dont wanna blow any more diffs).

but, i think everything is ok, its idling well, not blowing smoke and it sounds healthy.

thanks for your suggestions fellas.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Door problem (can't put it back)
Next Topic:ae86 spoiler part number wanted
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:51:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047190189361572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.