Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1jz will not crank, possibly seized

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sat, 12 November 2005 11:11 Go to next message
Hi,
I have come across an interesting problem. I am pretty much at the end of a custom (non-toyota) engine (1jz-gte) transplant and aimed to get the engine running this weekend.

This afternoon, I was trying to crank the engine over, the starter motor sounded a bit weak - it had a click fest, and did not really crank the engine (just a tiny bit). At first I thought it was a dead battery. Replaced it from another car confirmed to work. Same thing. Then I thought the starter motor (2jz/w58) was dodgy... tried the one supplied with the engine (1jz jzx81? auto)... same thing basically.

Some observations and things done that may or may not be relevent:
- clutch disengages when pedal is pressed.
- engine cranks when putting gearbox into 5th and pushing car.
(albeit some weird pair of noises (low pitch hinge-squeeking type of noise) at particular position? clutch slipping??)
- starter motors work outside of the car. although this may mean nothing.
- using jump start cables to connect battery to terminals inside of car. (dodgy connections?)
- timing belt was replaced a few months back. pretty sure it's right... but I could be wrong.
- clutch disc (+ other consumable items eg: bearings) was replaced
- flywheel face was machined, not pressure plate side.
- allen key head type (12.8) bolts was used for pressure plate
- corolla clutch bolts (11.9) were used for flywheel.

I did not verify if the engine could crank 1 revolution while it was outside the car.
I have not yet verified if the engine can crank (or if there is any difference) with no spark plugs installed.

Any pointers or questions? I am pretty much stumped :(

Thanks.

-BK.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sat, 12 November 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't turning it over a few turns by hand with a spanner/socket and seeing how it feels be a good idea?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sat, 12 November 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
earths??
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sun, 13 November 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timing belt verified to line up properly.

4agte... might be right... could be earth that's the problem. Or the dodgy jump start cables.

mrshin... hmmm... I'll check that out now since _something_ is making weird noises (clutch?) when turning it over. I cannot use spanner/socket method since there is no room between engine and radiator. heh.

-BK.
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sun, 13 November 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar prob a while back doing a conversion . Wiring to the injectors was wrong and basically they stayed open constantly. The cylinders filled up with fuel pretty quickly with the ignition on, and when i tried to crank it , it didn't do a thing.

Try pulling all the plugs out and see if it can by turned over by hand? Might have fuel, oil or water in there?

Gaz
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sun, 13 November 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Good news.

with plugs removed, battery connected properly, and an additional ground wire (where it originally went on the car), the starter motor turns the engine nicely! after 15-20 seconds, the engine was turning 10% or so quicker, or easier.

I forgot to state that my intention was to get oil flowed throughout the engine before actually starting it (recommended?). so I disconnected injectors, ignition and fuel pump.

mrsoopra :) on a previous conversion a few years back, I was wondering why the engine wouldn't start... after a few days... realized the injector +12V wire was cut without realizing its purpose. "INJ fuse? that's useless!"

mrshin... engine turns nicely/easily with plugs removed. tried it before the above.

Some more observations:
when trying to "start", the stereo head unit display would shut off during cranking, and would remain shut off for like 1.5 seconds afterwards. Now, it stays on during cranking.

Voltage wise... it used to only drop to like 11.8->low 12. Now it drops to 11.17V or so, when starter motor is on.

let's see if I can get the engine running today :)))

-BK.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Sun, 13 November 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this post reminds me i might crank over my engine by hand before i drop the radiator in today..
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Mon, 14 November 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more good news.

tried it with plugs in, cranked over with ease.

and then tried it with ignitors/injectors/fuelpump connected, she started running :D :D :D

I guess that will teach me to use proper ground connections.
What I had was battery to chassis, and battery to engine, but forgot about engine/gearbox to chassis! It was either that or using crappy jumper leads that caused the problem.

RESPECT TO 4agte :) one word post, and he was right ;)

I can also confirm that using JZZ30 engine loom works on a JZX81 (I think it's a jzx81, it's frontsump but has jzz30 style turbo compressor outlet collector, anyone confirm?) engine ;) only difference is one homeless plug near the alternator side, and the plug for temperature sensor on intake plenum is different (jzx81 is round, jzz30 is square?). and of course, no plugs for traction control.

-BK.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2005 11:45]

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Mon, 14 November 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great to hear dude... Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz will not crank, possibly seized Tue, 15 November 2005 01:42 Go to previous message
JZX81 has angled outlet pipe, JZX90 has pipe perpendicular to engine.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fancy toggle switches
Next Topic:IS200 Engine Swap - opinions please! [The New Guy!]
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:25:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061278343200684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.