Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What does cam LIFT do for performance?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
What does cam LIFT do for performance? Sun, 13 November 2005 11:55 Go to next message
Hi Peoples,

I am wanting to know what changeing the lift of the cam will do? When you change duration --> more overlap -->less torque and so on and no one seems to mention LIFT, WHY?
If you had a 2 sets of 256 cams, one at 7.1 and the other at 8.1 lift what will this do? Will a 256 8.1 lift cam have more power than say a 288 7.1 lift cam but at a different RPM?

Thanks,

TY
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: What does cam LIFT do for performance? Sun, 13 November 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More lift means more air can flow past the valves... it also means more strain on your valve springs.

It sounds like you need to do quite a bit of research on camshafts... there a few good sites around, hit google with a search like "camshaft duration overlap LSA" and you'll find yourself a few good explanations.
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: What does cam LIFT do for performance? Sun, 13 November 2005 14:30 Go to previous message
Thanks for that.

I had a small read and will read more later. I am going to put some big port cams into my 100kw small port and was thinking that the increase in lift would give me more gain than the extra 8 degrees of duration. Now you have got me thinking about the valve springs. I am sure that they would be fine since they are standard cams but my v-springs have been use to there current lift for a long time now.

Thanks again,

Ty
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my crank
Next Topic:Door problem (can't put it back)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:56:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041477680206299 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.