Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 03:56 Go to next message
I search of a KE series rolla i have found myself with a smooth ra28 sitting in my garage....

this is the start of a beautiful thing......

i have read some interesting pieces of information regarding 1g and v8 conversions... mmmmmmm....decisions decisions Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4924/mycar13kb.th.png

sorry pretty crappy camera

meanwhile

insperation or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Ian

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2005 04:10]

Send a private message to this user    
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beautiful looking car mate..

Saw this one when it was for sale! Looked schmick as!!

Goodluck.. Keep me posted on your progress...

Karl
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks really tidy. I myself would go for either a restoration, or a 3sgte RWD conversion.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you prick i was looking at getting that.
nice one... get some more pics of the lot... looks awesome its was on carsales orsometihng?

what you end up getting it for?

as i remember he dropped the price pretty quick like with in a week so he mus tof wanted it out.
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy

the bodywork is very straight and the paint is respectable..minor rust sptos on the bottom of the door and boot lid but hey can have it all

the interior needs a bit of work , new carpet, top of dash door trims etc.... but i like that as i always like to personalise the interior and make it as comfortable as possible

--h3ff44--

the guy have a new house his wife didnt want a water fountain (so she called it) out the front......

from what i have checked a RWC will be very easy to get..

--SilverGhost--
a 3sgte would be awsome but will be a bit too much work for me..

i cant weld Sad Sad am going to learn though....

everybody has said a iggte is the way to go but it seems to be over done... probably because its the cheapest and easiest conversion but i wouldnt might something a bit different...
not too sure yet
--ae80--
will do mate...

i am prbably going to be on the forum alot begging for help so yeah

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 22:30]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Mon, 14 November 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, we'll here all about this beast as it come to glory.

nice on ill be watching the progress.
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Tue, 15 November 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will definately keep you upto date

might need to post on the new forum as this one is closing

ahh get to that soon
high_card_ace
Regular

April 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Wed, 16 November 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte's always look good in 28's but if you want something different maybe try a 1jzgte?
all depends on how much you want to spend?
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Wed, 16 November 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
high_card_ace

that is definately an option.....

the $$$ factor will obviously be the deciding factor...

would you know ruffly the costs of say a ijz, 1g, 1u etc. conversion for the RA

would be interesting to see what people have forked out of these conversions...

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 22:43]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Wed, 16 November 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cost depends on how properly you want to do the conversion.

Ie, you could make a 1G conversion really cheap by just swapping the engine and doing the fuel/electrics stuff to get it going.
If you want to do it properly, youll also need to upgrade brakes, diff, and get it engineered which does end up costing a lot more.

With the 1UZ and 1J conversions, youll pretty much have to upgrade the diff (stock wont last long with these engines), and brakes is pretty much a must if you dont want to kill yourself.

Im doing a 1UZ conv to my RA28 atm, and its going to cost quite a bit more than i originally though (doesnt it always though?).
Original estimate was ~$8000, but now that has gone up to ~$11,000.
But that includes engine, front brakes, new front suspension & steering rack conversion, W58 conversion, G series diff and new wheels.

See my thread about this conversion in my sig.
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Thu, 17 November 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWP

mate all i have to say is Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

i havent had a chance to thoroughly read your entire thread but Shocked Shocked

nice work mate i must say i hope be have a beast as sweet as that.

im definately wanting to go the whole hog as in brakes frnt and rear, diff, fuel system, interior, paint wheels etc....

i dont like the fact that the way some of me friends do thing i.e. spend up big on dig name upgrades but dont bother with important stuff

with the $$$ that you have mentioned i think it would be best for me to stick to a 1g conversion or something alike....
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Thu, 17 November 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cobzzz wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 15:50

with the $$$ that you have mentioned i think it would be best for me to stick to a 1g conversion or something alike...

While people may bag you for it, you might want to consider a SR20DET as well.
Expensive to buy, but itll have far more upgrade options later on than the kinda rare and ageing 1G.

The 3S-GTE is an awesome engine, but there is a lot of work to do to convert it to RWD (See Joel's aka TurboRA28's project thread).
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Thu, 17 November 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

While people may bag you for it, you might want to consider a SR20DET as well.

i have definately not left out the nissan range as on option..

i had previous plans for a ca18det conversion for my KE30 but that fell through..

sr20det, rb25det, rb20 or 30det

i really need to have good search for what costs will be for each, if im goinf to have clearence issues, see what will be legal etc.....

i would be intersted to know what people have paid for a 1g conversion or any other like MWP has... from people who have done most of the work themselves to people who have had others build most of the project.... just so i can compare costs
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Thu, 17 November 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice looking car, keep the old school look with some classic Simmons or similar, black center and polished rim sort of thing.

Something nice and new under the bonnet would be good. Nissan engines had good bang for buck, but sticking with a toyota engine would be best.

It looks neater then my car, although mines got a 18RG Laughing Laughing

Cam
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Fri, 18 November 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cam

definately will look into doing a welding course

yeah rub it in mate i might have to take the 18rg off you Very Happy Very Happy

would like to keep it toyota but if it works out to be easier to use another make of motor etc then will do...

all about bank for buck....

was also thinking 18rgeu turbo too soo mmm resarch
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Ian's new toy - 1977 RA28 Sun, 04 December 2005 22:48 Go to previous message
interesting some of the conficting information that i have found re: 1ggte conversions...

modify Xmember, dont need to mod Xmember, clearence problems, no clearance problems etc....

i would appreciate it if someone would be able to give me some first hand info in what the 'Catches' are to this conversion..

what sort of issues you have run into ....

i would really like to know what sort of costs people have encountered with this conversion etc etc

im planing suspension mods first so i have a bit of time to think about the motor...

i have planned to aquire a MX62 from sway for the moment with ra40 rear bar...

looking at trying to addapt Magna disks to the stock struts with commonhore calipers... if this works well then will get koni inserts, shortened with custom springs ( as apparently a mate can have them made for under $150)

when the motor come along i will then ask whiteline (nicely) to make me a custom adjustable from sway.....

have all bushes etc updated and possibly adjustable strut tops....

i have heard that S13 stuts bolt up (or almost) to RA28 ??? anyone confirm this

well hope i can get some help on the above

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 10:00]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drift's MA70... Now with New Rims!!
Next Topic:Osix Celica Project 001 UPDATED 04.12.2005 -LINK FIXED LOT OF NEW PHOTOs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:00:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085539817810059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.