Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tricky
Regular

July 2005
old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Sun, 20 November 2005 09:46 Go to next message
Howdy. This is mostly general but sorta techy, so I stuck it here. Mods, feel free to shift it if I'm wrong.

The time has come to plan my brake upgrades on the RA23. I've decided to use FC RX7 calipers due to their small size, low weight and low cost. The difficulty comes with the choice in hubs and rotors. I like longchamp xr4 rims, but I've only ever encountered then in 4x114.3 PCD. After scouring brembo and DBA catalogues, I know of no possible way to retain the stock RA23 hubs and have rotors of a decent size. Unless I have missed something, there is no toyota hub with four studs that will do the job I want, so it seems that I've gotta convert to 5 stud with crown hubs, or go for custom hubs($$$).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get longchamp xr4's made in 5 stud patterns? Failing this, what are some old school 15" rims on the market with 5 stud patterns? I don't really wanna go for simmons rims, 'cos they are kinda cliched.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 09:09]

Send a private message to this user    
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as much as im heavily opposed to it, people drill out suitably sized 5 stud rotors to 4 stud...

-sigh-
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its perfectly fine to redrill the stud patern on a rotor.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better yet, get blanks from dba and get them drilled in the pattern you require!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NB: dba will not always have blanks available, unless you're willing to wait and pay.
there were none available for me, so I just bought some 5 stud and got them redrilled. there's tons of meat inbetween all the stud holes, and my engineer reckons there would be no safety dramas.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet! That is the first confirmation I have received that redrilling rotors is neither dodgy nor illegal!

So it's possible to get a blank of a given diameter, and desired offset, and have the hub fastening holes drilled, and the hub centre hole?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not exactly.
from dba it's possible to get a blank (no stud holes or centre holes), but you need to order it for a specific model (ie FC rx-7). you can't just ask for a 290x28mm rotor offset +16mm.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its only possible to get blanks if they are actually made by DBA. Most of their "high performance" rotor are made by Brembo and they wont supply blanks.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 18:26

Its only possible to get blanks if they are actually made by DBA. Most of their "high performance" rotor are made by Brembo and they wont supply blanks.

is this true? Shocked to 4000 series rotors are brembo made and such?

interesting news Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure about their 4000 series, but my S2000 rotors are made by Brembo.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: old school 5 stud rims Sun, 20 November 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tricky, who are you going to get to make the caliper mount? Assuming they are in Canberra I owuld be interested to know. Also what diamter/thickness rotors are you planning to use?
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't scoped out a machinist yet, but I'll probably check it out soonish. I haven't planned the bracket yet either. Rotor wise, I was thinking 280-310mm sort of diameter and 25mm thick. I want something vented and slotted. From memory, FC RX7 calipers are 286mm, so I might do that. I also fancy the S2K rotors cool1 is using, and also from honda, brembo make some 286mm accord rotors with four mounting holes and 64mm hub hole diameter, like RA23 items, just bigger. I'd have to check the offset to confirm whether making the bracket for these would be feasible though.

When I have some spare time, I'll pick up a spare strut/hub, take the trusty brembo catalogue and plan out the bracket. When I do this, anyone who wants profiles, or anyone who wants to go into a group buy of brackets is welcome to jump on the bandwagon.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool.

Are you planning to go disc over hub or keep it like the original setup and bolt the disc to the back of the hub?

If you are thinking of the latter then let me know as I have measured up some potential options that may be worth looking at.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I am redrilling a rotor, I'd prefer to go in the original configuration, but if I can get blanks in the rotor I want, I'll go disc over hub. It also depends on the available offsets, and consequently how easy it will be to make the caliper mounting bracket. The more I think about it, the better the S2K option looks. The problem with this is the size of the hub hole (larger), and that S2K rotors aren't available as blanks. Could be worth researching the accord option further.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
contrary to popular belief there is actually quite a WIDE range of 5 stud low offset 15x7,8,9 inch wheels available in 5 stud, and they are markedly cheaper than the 4 stud variants as they arent as in high demand as they dont fit on AE86's

check out yahoo japan, im actually looking for a set of 15x10 -20 Longchamps XR4's myself at the moment Smile
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 16:37

check out yahoo japan, im actually looking for a set of 15x10 -20 Longchamps XR4's myself at the moment Smile

Shocked BIG mothers! I had no idea that they made them that big!
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update on the honda accord rotors. They have a diameter of 282mm, they have the same centering hole diameter as RA23 rotors, and they also have a four bolt hub pattern. AND... Very Happy They have an offset of 47mm. This means that a caliper bracket will be easy(ish) to make! Of course, this may not be necessary if I can track down a set of 5 stud 15x7 +-(buggeredifiknowwhatoffset) longchamp xr4's, and someone crazy enough to import them to Australia. If so, I'll just do the crown hubs/S2K rotors.

EDIT: Another bit of news for the 4 stud front: A number of big diameter calipers are out there with relatively small hub holes. To fit the RA23 hub, the ID has to be <=64mm such that it can slip over or be drilled out. One pair I found were lexus rotors, but they had a thickness of 28mm... Too thick! After a bit more looking, I found something very promising, although availability in Australia (and cost) may be questionable. They are:

Maserati Shamal vented rotors:
-diameter = 300mm
-Thickness = 22mm (maybe too thin?)
-offset = 46mm
-hub hole = 60mm

Also,

RENAULT Alpine A610 3.0i V6 Turbo
-diameter = 300mm
-Thickness = 24mm (1mm less than S2K rotor)
-offset = 43.5mm
-hub hole = 61mm

No chance of finding those rotors in a wreckers though!

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 09:00]

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Mon, 21 November 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep us up on how this goes on mate...id like to know how to do it one day or another Wink
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims Tue, 22 November 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Found a few more combos today.

Honda Integra (2L):
-diameter = 300mm
-thickness = 25mm
-offset = 47.5mm
-hub hole = 64mm

Honda NSX (rear rotor):
-diameter = 303mm
-thickness = 23mm (1mm thicker than FC rotors)
-offset = 32.5mm
-hub hole = 64mm

Ford Focus (2L):
-diameter = 300mm
-thickness = 24mm
-offset = 43.5mm
-hub hole = 63.6mm

A couple more FC caliper options are feasible. Using Subaru WRX rotors could work, although the offset is larger, so the bracket would need more meat, and it could foul things(maybe). Some other options are things such as nissan Z32 calipers with camry sportivo or MY05 STi rotors, but the nissan calipers are a bit bulkier.

At this stage, I'm inclined to think that the NSX rotors would be preferable. For these, only four holes need to be drilled, as the hub clearance hole matches the RA23 item. The only question remaining is the acceptability of a rear rotor on the front... Shouldn't be a problem, because the rotor is no thinner than a front rotor in any place, and as such is structurally sound. 23mm might well be an ok width for the calipers also, as the FC rotor is 22mm stock. Shouldn't be a major drama to space the caliper by 1mm though.

And I assume the rotor has to be snug on the hub? ie, it wouldn't be satisfactory to use a 68mm rotor on a 64mm hub? Seems dodgy to me, but if for some strange reason it wasn't, then Audi S4 rotors would work well in this application also.

I think I need to see an engineer... Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant space the calipers by only 1mm. There is no way to seal the internal fluid channel with a 1mm spacer.
And no you cant use a 68mm rotor on a 64mm hub. If you look at the link in my sig you'll see some pictures of the spacer in my calipers. These are about the minimum thickness you can use.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as I suspected on both fronts. So you'd have 3mm spacers for S2000 calipers? So my options now are source some maserati shaman calipers and have all holes redrilled, but not space the caliper, or Integra 300mm calipers with four holes redrilled and the caliper spaced as per cool1's. I don't really want to overspace the calipers, 'cos I don't want specs to fall below OEM, thus encouraging wear and sloppy tolerances.

Another reason to pursue this 4 stud path has surfaced. I started doing research on my proposed S13 rear end --> RA23 setup, and if I use the S13 rear brake/hub combo, I end up with 4x114.3 at the back too... Of couse, it seems this is easily changed with S14 hubs to 5x114.3.

cool1, when you rebuilt your calipers with the spacers, did you use thin gaskets, or did you spray the mating surfaces with hylomar, or both... Or something completely different... I can't really tell from the pictures, but whatever the method, those galleries have a fair bit of pressure in them!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The calipers have small o-ring around the gallery on both ends of the calipers. The o-ring sits in a recess that is made in the alloy and this is the reason you cant use a thin spacer. You have to be able to machine a recess in the spacers to fit a second o-ring.
Does that make sense? I've had a few drinks so everything is clear to me Rolling Eyes
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol! So you just mirrored the recess in the alloy spacer, and it ended up the same as it started sort of thing. I understand perfectly (or I'm so wrong it seems to make sense Smile ), so obviously you haven't had enough to drink Wink . Guess it's time for me to get some calipers and start experimenting!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I mirrored the recess in the alloy spacer. So now instead of having 2 o-rings in each caliper, I have 4! Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 20:03

... And no you cant use a 68mm rotor on a 64mm hub...

you could get a ring machined up to go over the hub so the disk is then hubcentric?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could, but theres nothing to hold the ring on the back of the hub.
If it were on the front you could rely on the wheel holding the ring in position(if you were using wheels with the correct hub center).
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 23:13

Yes I mirrored the recess in the alloy spacer. So now instead of having 2 o-rings in each caliper, I have 4! Very Happy

Must be 100% better now bro!!!!11!!

Hmmm... Is that legal to put a spacer in? It would be floating, so it wouldn't really be the safest thing in the world. And you couldn't weld it to the hub, 'cos you'd end up with a useless pile of metal, and welding it to the rotor... Dunno... Rotors are high carbon steel with some molybdenum I think, so you could probably TIG a spacer on and grind it flush... Still might be a bit dodgy...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 22:35

You could, but theres nothing to hold the ring on the back of the hub.
If it were on the front you could rely on the wheel holding the ring in position(if you were using wheels with the correct hub center).

woops .. got fixated on this disk-over-hat thing...

tricky: i would not even contemplate welding a brake disk.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tricky: as chuck said, disc over hat is fine as long as you have a hub-centric wheel to hold the spacer in place (which is what I've done).. but on the back? you'll need to make sure it's the correct size centre bore or smaller.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just find a rotor with a smaller center hole and get it machined out.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Tue, 22 November 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 23:45

tricky: i would not even contemplate welding a brake disk.

I was actually hoping someone would say that!!

It would be just as easy to do rotor over hub, but since the RA23 hub was designed as a hub over rotor, I'll keep it that way.

My only two options now are the 300mm integra rotor, which just so happens to have the same hub hole as the original rotor, but it will require the caliper spacer (same width as S2K rotor).

And the maserati rotor, which would need 3mm machined out of the hole, but no caliper spacer. I have a feeling the decision will be made for me, 'cos I don't fancy my chances of getting the maserati rotor in Australia.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 13:01]

Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Wed, 23 November 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, i have been searching for a suitable aet of rotors to use with my s14 callipers.
i have just been looking through the DBA catalouge and according to that, RA23 celicas have a centre hole size of 73mm not 64mm like you are saying. does the listing have a mistake in it???
just wanted to bring this to your attention.....
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos] Wed, 23 November 2005 12:04 Go to previous message
Fuck it... Brembo says 64mm, but I just noticed they also say 64mm for TA22 rotors. Soooooooo BREMBO STUFFED UP! My DBA catalogue doesn't have a listing for RA23 rotors...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention... It doesn't make any difference, 'cos I'd be redrilling the hub hole anyway, but it does widen my options! Outside with the calipers I go! ...maybe that can wait until tomorrow.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving
Next Topic:Need help with paint problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:17:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074441432952881 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.