Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
icon8.gif  timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 13:06 Go to next message
I just got my timing light and used it and I couldn't find the mark but then I noticed that the mark is at the opposite end of TDC 0 degree mark of crank pulley, which means the ignition timing is at the "bottom dead centre". Sounds weird then I thought it may be crank pulley mark isn't representing the TDC so I had a look at the cam pulley but they all the marks on the cam pulley lined up perfectly. Then I checked the dizzy, I pulled it out and follow the service manuel precedure that is the mark on the tip of the dizzy wheel aligned to the groove of the dizzy housing and put it back to the motor. So what do you guys think the problem is? I'll check the dizzy wiring tomorrow see if it can help. Also isn't the motor can't actually run of ignition timing really so close to bottom dead centre (too much retard)? Shocked

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 13:07]

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suggestion:
the cam timing is out 180deg

and hence the dizzy has been rotated 180deg to make it run?
(it shows BDC, but is really TDC).

Cheers
Wilbo
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use cyl 2 or 3 ignition wire for signal ....
this is assuming the car actually runs...

180deg cam timing is 360 deg crank timing Razz
so 90deg out on cam/dizzy = 180deg on crankshaft = timing makr in correct position
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hate to admit it but that's what i was running on for like 8 months

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea they car actually runs and been runing like this for 1 or 2 months never used timing light to checked the timing since the motor been in the car, but can you tell me why use cyl 2 and 3 for signal? isn't it suppose to be using cyl 1?

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 22:51]

Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Sun, 20 November 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I think the cam and crank marks are well representing themself correctly , when I rotate the crank to TDC mark the marks on the cam pulley lined up correctlly like the service manuel(one mark on top of each pulley, one mark facing towards another pulley), when I pull the dizzy out the groove on the cam for the dizzy is vertical which means it isn't 90 degree out.

By the way it is a silver top 20v with coils and ignitor for ignition, the dizzy is working as crank angle sensor. Would it be the amount I set the dwell for the coils be a matter? I set 4.5 for my HEC715s.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: timing problem, ignition timing at bottom dead centre??? Mon, 21 November 2005 00:37 Go to previous message
well... you say that the timing mark is approx 180 degrees out.... which means that cyl 1 and 4 are BDC... but that means cyls 2 and 3 are TDC..... so why not just use cyl 2 or 3 for the timing source?

if the pulley is marked with TDC, and the timing mark is about 170 deg away from it, you MUST have to use cyl 2 or 3 for te timing..

rgardless of conventional thinking, if the pulley is marked like that.. thats the way you do it... what does the service manual say?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tuning freedom piggy back ecu?
Next Topic:TVIS ON 4AGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:19:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048120021820068 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.