Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 25 November 2005 14:32 Go to next message
Hi people,

I know Im gunna get flammed for this, but if we could keep the analogies of the celica to a minimum that be great. I know lots of people dont like this car for many reasons, but I (think) theres a some people who think highly of them, or at least respect their reliability.
I have owned my 82 RA60 for 2 years now, and although seriously considering an MK2 I will most probably keep it anyway. The Roll forward lights are fairly ugly when down, but in the "forward but not on" position they look ok. ( I usually drive with my park lights on)The engine was replaced before I owned it, with a 21R-U, its a tiny bit more powerful, I think its gotsome kinda air pump or something,(anyone know?) not sure of how it works, makes interesting noise though.
The car does look very nice from certain angles, Ive tried to capture most of them and there on my cardomain site, at the bottom of post. I just really like my car now, so anyone else who owns one or has owned one, just post details, pics, whatever.

Cheers, Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 25 November 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've kinda got an addiction to these cars.
I reckon they would make a wicked track car. Recipe for success:

ra65 xt
18rge with forged high comp pistons, spastic cam, ported head and oversized valves.
Strip the interiour down to a minimum.
ma61 rear irs subframe with shimed up lsd.
Braided brake lines and slotted dba rotors
nardi torino classic wheel with 30mm spacer.
Non powersteering rack and no powersteering.
ma61 flares and fat mother rims to suit.
Coilovers... etc

One day I will put together the above car Very Happy but it might be a mit more hardcore track only style and not so streetable.
bloody a6 celicas, their an addiction.

I'd love to turn mine into what i've got above (although it'd be 22re not 18rge) but i have an rx7 now so i've gota devote myself to that :/
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 25 November 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're a very underestimated car, that's for sure.

Mainly 'coz they're fugly. :lol:\

But definately has the ability to humble some very exotic machinery (well, once you stick a decent engine in at least).

Oh, and they look pretty damn tuff when they're dumped down over some big wheels.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Totoaly agree about dumping them, deep dish wheels look especially good. I cant figue out why theyre so addictive.. I bout my car basiclly from a picture of it side on. The hatchback side on looks uncanninly like Inspector gadgets car, from the 80's tv cartoon. Very similar, so being one of my fave cartoons from the 80's I think maybe thats where I fell in love with the design.
Has anyone seen the pictures of the RA60 rallying? Its got some kinda bodykit on the front so that it covers up the lights, and it looks way better. I wonder if it would be possible to make one? Check out this link,

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/vehicl es/GpB-CelicaTCTurbo.html

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark,

how do you find yours with the 1G-GTE in it?

Good?
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes nark! Details....
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also

whats everyones top speeds of the celica? Mine got to 170 ish, by that speed it feels so loose and scary, and heat temp starts to rise quickly, maybe coulda gone a bit faster but would prolly overheat before it went any faster.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cracked 160 without breaking a sweat and it definatly had more in it but i like that shiny peice of plastic with my photo in it too much to go any faster

http://members.iinet.net.au/~awcabren/post-18-1125216679.jpg

Also i think jdm actualy got this model with these lights, looks tough as

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2005 03:20]

andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah I wish I had a 22RE, my dad used to have an 85 corona with a 22RE, Although it felt more powerful, the auto was geared so low that it would struggle even around 130 ish. It also had an annoying habbit of one you turned it off, the engine light would sometimes come on when you went to start it again, and it would not do anything, no ignition. Wait 10-20 mins and it would start no worries. weird.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that a celica?? this is just more evidence of one thing. THE JAPANESE DIDDNT LIKE US!! Rolling Eyes First they stick pathetic engines in all our cars, then they wack on roll forward headlights?? ARG
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its called Australia in the early 80s = no unleaded

it looks like a e7x levin front end on a coupe Confused
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey viper,

Checked under the collum,pedal still connected.Everything seems good there, checked fluid level, near empty.. thinking it might be busted hose or something.. oh and I just now discovered something terrible. Something that will shock and amaze you. And that thing is as follows. My celica HAS BEEN IN A CRASH!! I was looking in the boot for brake fulid, when BAM! I lifted the plastic matt which was under the carpet, HIDING some of the worst crash repairing ive ever seen!!!!!!! AND ITS ALL RUSTED TO SHIT! i could almost stick my finger through to the petrol tank!!! Im so mad. I bought this off my cousin, he must have known. BASTARD! Its obviously taken a big hit in the back, mostly on the right side. Ill get some pictures next coupple of day. Mad Mad Mad Mad
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt stress too much. u can pick up clean shells for cheap. just look around. grabed mine for 450 Very Happy
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Im just mad cos i diddnt notice it and my cousin "forgot" to mention it... found this on ebay, would be interesting i think. Unique look at our cars...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WHEELS-SEPT-1981-CELICA_W0Q QitemZ6990252731QQcategoryZ109525QQssPageNameZWDVW QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 13:32

Nark,

how do you find yours with the 1G-GTE in it?

Good?

It's awesome. The car the RA60 should have been from the factory.

Quick in a straight line and very chuckable through the twisty bits.

Had the car on dirt today in the rain. Had a blast. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've had my car up to 230 and ran out of road. It was still pulling like a train and seemed like it was aiming for the limiter.

Before I lowered it, it was quite scary once it got to 170. Did weird things like having the rubber bits at the top of the side windows open up so that air was flowing through.
But once it was dumped, it was stable as... And no such weirdness..
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark,

How much you reckon it would cost for 1G-GZE to be dropped in my celica? Im tossing up wether to convert celica's engine, or buy an MK2. I love the MK2 but dont wanna be stuck with another slow engine for another year..or suggest a cheap more powerful (than 21Ru) engine for the celica?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3tgteu
18rgeu
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sat, 26 November 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 21:23

3tgteu
18rgeu

Those are the ultimate for bolt in imho...

however... 1uz would be interesting. M series has been done, but makes the car too front heavy, same with the JZ motors. If you wanted to get creative, you could do 3S or 1MZ.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4agze in the front of a celica. AA63 in Japan had the first gen 4age, that I think would go alright, great for revs against the p00 21R.

1G is best bang for buck however, been done plenty of times, has proven itself.

Please I strongly suggest that you reconsider an MA61. Although the 5m-e isn't the greatest powerhouse out there. It will make a joke of your 21R. You will enjoy having the extra torque. When you can afford to move forward and get a real motor, provided you stay in the M family, there isn't much to a conversion. Engine mounts don't need to be touched Smile

Ma61 isn't just about the power either. It's almost luxurious inside. The seats (provided they work) are a joy to be able to adjust. I can't get enough of how they hold me in while i boat around a corner.... The digital dash, its a nice novelty, many dislike it, but each to their own, you will get used to it.

W58, F series rear end with LSD, what more could you ask for ? Smile

Anyways, enough of my dribble.

Cheers,
James
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Sun, 27 November 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andyroo wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 19:29

Nark,

How much you reckon it would cost for 1G-GZE to be dropped in my celica? Im tossing up wether to convert celica's engine, or buy an MK2. I love the MK2 but dont wanna be stuck with another slow engine for another year..or suggest a cheap more powerful (than 21Ru) engine for the celica?

I'd bank on a minimum $5k before even thinking of it. You'd be surprised how things add up during a conversion.

ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 23:56

Intensevil wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 21:23

3tgteu
18rgeu

Those are the ultimate for bolt in imho...

Yup. Definately the easiest and most simple. The hard part is finding one of those that's younger than your RA60...

however... 1uz would be interesting. M series has been done, but makes the car too front heavy, same with the JZ motors. If you wanted to get creative, you could do 3S or 1MZ.

Very difficult and expensive conversions. M and JZ engines would be too heavy anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4agze in the front of a celica. AA63 in Japan had the first gen 4age, that I think would go alright, great for revs against the p00 21R.

Not sure if the torque will be enough to be a good swap.

1G is best bang for buck however, been done plenty of times, has proven itself.

Yup. There's a reason why the 1G swap is so popular.
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Tue, 29 November 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys. I have an RA63 that here (Argentina) came with 18R-G, IRS with LSD, manual transmision and steering.

I bought it last year as a project car. It´s receiving a standalone ECU (Wolf) and individual throttle bodies as well. As a second stage, it´ll be fully rebuilt to special specs and turbocharged.

More info (ins spanish, but with loads of pics) here: www.celicagt.com.ar

Regards
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice car man,

good to see someone caring for these ageing beauties... on a differnt note, has anyone ever run out of petrol? I have once or twice, theres just no warning!! You get a bit of chug, then BAM! no petrol. Its really annoying!
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, now that you mention it! I made a test once! I was so damn lucky that I ran out of it 1 block away from home and got there with the inertia Very Happy

There is now freakin reserve light!
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats so funny! the same thing happened to me, ran out bout a block away, using my speed I kept swerving to the left(making fuel run into lines) so little bit of rev, drop the clutch for a bit more inetia, back in and try to get some more revs.. My fuel meter, once half of tank is used, it is VERY inacurate. I have to go off Kms.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car ran out once. so i pulled over waited a few minutes cranked it up again and it worked. drove a km to the nearest servo and it died while in the driveway, pushed it to the pump and all was good
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Ive been wondering for a while now, theres a button, sort of switch just to the right of the handbrake on my center console. It was disconnected, when I hooked it up, it shorted out and blew a fuse. Anyone know what this black switch is for? and if everyone has it?
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

also think my diff?drivechain is going, at 80-100 ks,it makes this woop wooop woop noise? faster you go, the faster the noise repeats itself. Probably twice a second at 100ks...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Switch for raising/lowering the antenna?
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm,

suspected antenna, it is disconnected due to it being bent at some point in time(grr) but I thought the ariel was wired to raise and lower with the radio being turned on and off? No idea on weird drivechain noise?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the switch toyota installed to blow up fuses, looks like urs is still in good condition though Very Happy

that woop woop noise. is it coming from the diff? if so sounds like it could be on its way out. Open it up and have a look, replace the fluid and if it still does it swap for another. t series diffs are cheap so should be quite easy to find one
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The antenna on the RA60s wasn't so smart to detect an ANTENNA signal from the head unit.

The noise, my guess would be the wheel bearing.

Is the noise dependant upon speed or engine load?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would really like to see an 18R-GTE in an RA60. hint Wink
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
I actually remember now,

last time it was in for service, the guy said that the universal joint that connects drivechain to gearbox is on the way out? He said it might be expensive to fix
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte all the way !

i can't understand why toyota didn't think of releasing them in celicas.

I like the idea of a 1uz in a celica

cuz soon i'm going to keep the GA63 as a track car and i'd need a tow car.
i'm thinking of either a 1jzgte (my fave) or a 7mgte
but if a 1uz would fit it would be great for a tow car.

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, celicas are not bad Cool
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 17:29

The antenna on the RA60s wasn't so smart to detect an ANTENNA signal from the head unit.

The noise, my guess would be the wheel bearing.

Is the noise dependant upon speed or engine load?

Definatly on speed, If I were to push the clutch in it still continues to make the noise. It gets less loud the slower you go, and also it repeats slower.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Wed, 30 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say it's a wheel bearing.

Why not jack up the back wheels, stick it into gear and go around the back and have a listen.
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Thu, 01 December 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys,

just wondering if there's a celica that has the same shape as an SA63 but with a 22R in it?

is it called an RA65 coupe?

I've tried looking for pics everywhere but can't find it.

my mate says there are celica's with boots and 2R's not 2S'

Thanks guys!

if you could post pics comparing the coupe to the liftback that would be great as well!
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coupe: More Common in the US as the "GTS" Celica RA65

http://www.celicas.org/members/rdpugh/bobbycelica4.jpg
http://www.celicas.org/members/rdpugh/bobbycelica5.jpg
http://www.celicas.org/members/neonacr/celica1.JPG
http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tmods18au.jpg
http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/albums/album01/1985_celica.sized.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/EL_CUCUI/Image029.jpg

coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Liftback: Jap/US/Aus

http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/RA65/light/DSCN3507OMG.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/RA65/NEW%20SEx/DSCN40481111.jpg
http://www.kaminari.com/images_product/82Celica2.jpg
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/temp/sideon.jpg
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/temp/car2.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 01:12]

ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
afaik,

all a6x celica coupes were badged as ST's
and all liftbacks were XT's

pretty sure ra60/sa63/ra65 came in both coupe and liftback
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 13:09

afaik,

all a6x celica coupes were badged as ST's
and all liftbacks were XT's

Do you mean in America? Cos my coupe seems to think its an XT...
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
85 MA61 diddnt agree with a tree?????

What happened???? How badly damaged is it?
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know what your talking about in ya 2nd post there andyroo LOL

but XT is the Liftback and ST is the coupe in Aust

GT and GTS is the american versions - u can tell the difference between american and Jap/Aus versions when looking at the exterior by the rear fender vents

Us have a brake light in each vent and a red cover
Aus/Jap have a black slatted vent with no lights

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 02:39]

andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coFF33 wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 13:39

i dont know what your talking about in ya 2nd post there andyroo LOL

but XT is the Liftback and ST is the coupe in Aust

GT and GTS is the american versions - u can tell the difference between american and Jap/Aus versions when looking at the exterior by the rear fender vents

Us have a brake light in each vent and a red cover
Aus/Jap have a black slatted vent with no lights

Yeah sorry, was talking to viper, I noticed his avatar said hes MA61 hit a tree..
This is weird, My coupe says XT, maybe in its life it was rebadged as an XT(for what reason I dont know) but it looks original.. Theres a pic on my cardomain site of the back, close up, its on page 4, have a look.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/635698/4
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in Japan the a6x celicas came in many different badgings...

I cannot remember all of them as this is all the top of my head, and I might be incorrect with some of them... but here goes:

GT
GT-T
GT-R
GT-S
GT-TS
GT-TR

models varied with motors such as the 2T-GEU, 18R-GEU, 4A-GE, 3T-GTE. However i'm uncertain if there were an 1/2S or 21/22R powered celicas/carinas over there.

EDIT: My banged up supra... well I hit the tree on the side exactly where I was sitting. My head hit the window as I hit the tree. Wasn't fun. Funnily enough I can actually still drive the car! It drives straight... enough Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 03:06]

andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60-65 thread, maybe Fri, 02 December 2005 03:43 Go to previous message
Ouch!

Thats terrible! Poor supra. Closest Ive ever come to a crash was actually in a boat. My mates and I bought a 14ft tinny, with 55hp Johnson. I was driving, mate was sitting on the bow, was at almost full throttle(bout 50ks) all of a sudden I saw a huge anchor rope floating on the top of the water, too late, went straight over it, caught the leg and prop, stopped us dead, smashed my head on windscreen. Still dont know how my mate held on the front Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RTA too stoopid
Next Topic:really expensive toyotas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:38:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091760158538818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.