Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

wrecking / scrapping my st204r Sun, 27 November 2005 22:57 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I was involved in a rather nasty accident on the weekend and due to only having 3rd party property insurance, I will have to scrap my beloved st204r.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how I should go about getting rid of it. Will wreckers just rip me off blind?, should I keep the car at my place and sell it for parts on forums / ebay? I want to try to get the most cash for it as I can, as i'll be using the money from the parts to hopefully get myself another cheaper vehicle.

I've never had to do this before, so i'm rather lost about the whole afair.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Sun, 27 November 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sucks man

Sad
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Sun, 27 November 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taxi drivers, I think that sums everything up.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll definately get more, though will take longer, if you sell it off yourself.

I'm assuming that even though it was a taxi it was your fault?

How bad is it, could ba a good chance to chop the affected end off and space frame it.

PICS???
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 11:20

You'll definately get more, though will take longer, if you sell it off yourself.

I'm assuming that even though it was a taxi it was your fault?

How bad is it, could ba a good chance to chop the affected end off and space frame it.

PICS???

Cheers, thats the general opinion i've been getting and i'll probably follow through with selling parts, and then sending the rest to the wreckers.

It's pretty bad, the front end was effectively shifted about 6 inches to 1 foot to the right, it's bent the entire front frame / engine bay area. Although its all structural damage, I checked all of the components last night, and everything still looks very straight (with the exception of the radiator was pushed off its clips and doesn't sit flush any longer)

I didn't have my camera last night, so i'll be getting some pics tonight and post them up.

After speaking with the insurance company, it would definitely be considered my fault, although the circumstances of the situation are fishy really.

The way it happened was while making a right turn against two lanes of traffic. The inner lane (closest to me) had two cars in it waiting to turn right, the outer lane (furthest from me) had traffic in it.

While I was waiting for the lanes to clear, a taxi stopped behind the two cars that were waiting to turn right. Pretty much after the taxi stopped the lane became clear (while the two cars waiting to turn right were still there). He was stopped and the other two cars hadn't made any indication to move so I considered it safe to turn right.

What happened is as I started to turn, he decided to change lanes and accelerate out, hitting my car in the front left corner when I was turning into the street.

So, while he was stopped and technically it was safe to turn, he changed the situation by changing lanes and accelerating. I couldn't actually pick this because he had stopped before I started my turn.

The stupid thing is that because as he would've had to change lanes, he would've seen me starting my turn, and probably would've seen me as he was approaching, as he was coming from 2 car lengths (and the distance of the intersection) before hitting my car. He had a chance to slam on the brakes - and he didn't.

It was a behemoth ford falcon or similiar shape, and hit my car front on, and as my car is made my aluminium and hit an area with not a lot of material in it, it simply crumpled and moved the frame, his car took some scratches to the front bumper, but not much else, due to the fact that all the force was absorbed into my car, specifically in the headlight / indicator area.

Blah.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 00:58]

azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pictures added.
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-001.j pg - Image 1
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-002.j pg - Image 2
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-003.j pg - Image 3
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-004.j pg - Image 4
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-005.j pg - Image 5
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-006.j pg - Image 6
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-007.j pg - Image 7
http://www.azmodai.com/celica/broken/Picture-008.j pg - Image 8
Tequila
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey

does ur car have an airbag steering wheel?
I mite be interested
Son_E
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do you want for the whole car? I need the whole thing so if you are going to sell it in parts then dont worry about it. Private msg me if interested in selling whole car.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Tue, 29 November 2005 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much are these things worth when not bent? And what makes you think it's a write off.
If it were me, I'd be getting a quote to fix it before I parted it up.
And if it does come in at under a write off, but you just don't have money to fix it. Maybe Ebay it as a whole with the quote. Or offer to sell it to the panel shop that quoted you for market value minus their quote minus a little bit.

I thought these things were still worth over $10,000. And that looks like it could be less than $8,000 worth of damage.

Suck though man, hope something works out for you.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: It was early in the morning, and spelling was the least of my worries

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 02:04]

Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Wed, 30 November 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man that sucks.
On a side note, if you're parting it and nobody goes the air conditioning, there's a plastic air conditioning amplifier I need Very Happy PM me if you're interested in selling it.
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Wed, 30 November 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 06:09

How much are these things worth when not bent? And what makes you think it's a write off.
If it were me, I'd be getting a quote to fix it before I parted it up.
And if it does come in at under a write off, but you just don't have money to fix it. Maybe Ebay it as a whole with the quote. Or offer to sell it to the panel shop that quoted you for market value minus their quote minus a little bit.

I thought these things were still worth over $10,000. And that looks like it could be less than $8,000 worth of damage.

Suck though man, hope something works out for you.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: It was early in the morning, and spelling was the least of my worries

Cheers for the suggestions dude, I'm going to get a few qoutes for the repairs before I start parting it up or things like that, just to get a rough estimate on the costs.
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Wed, 30 November 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a reply to all that are asking about parts.
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, i've been snowed under in work related troubles.

I'll be getting back to you individually within the next few days, at worst next week. I've had a sudden deadline come up at work and I need to get that sorted before I can even think about car related matters.

Cheers,
Evyn
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: wrecking / scrapping my st204r Wed, 30 November 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
just a reply to all that are asking about parts.
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, i've been snowed under in work related troubles.

I'll be getting back to you individually within the next few days, at worst next week. I've had a sudden deadline come up at work and I need to get that sorted before I can even think about car related matters.

Cheers,
Evyn
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My RO11LR
Next Topic:coolest rona evar!!!111shift1!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:39:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004755973815918 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.