Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 11:47 Go to next message
Hi all,

My 2jzgte engine arrived today, its going into my e36 bmw hopfully this week trying to get the week off work Smile I ran a compression test all pistons came up as 175 psi to 180 psi is this ok or to high for TT version.

Not that happy, got the engine of a company in brisbane wont say names yet but alternator is broken off the front of the engine ( half cut was in a ako) also alot of electrical plugs broken etc... some oil leaks on the engine and box is this normal wonder what the km's 2jzgte start leaking oil out of the seals??

i think if you guys think the compression is good do you think is worth keeping or sending back???

cheers all.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Compression sounds alright, especially if it hasn't been run yet. As for the broken stuff, it depends how much of it matters for your project. I'd be chasing the wrecker for replacements of broken parts if you actually need them (alternator?)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bit of the block where the alternator bolts to is a thin spindly piece of metal. Being cast, it's brittle so it just breaks off. I have two blocks like this....both were in accos.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT, you're getting me excited. Acco make a LOVELY range of office products, everything from whiteboards to pen holders. Imagine a 2JZ in this:

http://www.acco.com/images/products/APOLLOBOONE/large/WBUL44.jpg

It should handle alright too, check out some of the features:

* Unique pyramid design safely holds heavy monitors and equipment
* Rugged table supports heavy loads by redistributing the center of gravity
* All-steel construction handsomely finished in black baked enamel
* 4-outlet UL approved mini surge protector with 25 ft. line cord and cord-winding bracket
* 12’ safety strap, UL certified for construction (item #SBW)
* Heavy-duty, easy-roll 4” casters (two locking) for easy mobility
* Top shelf measures 32”W x 20”D
* Middle and bottom shelves measure 32”W x 27”D
* Cable hole in middle and top shelves to keep cords organized
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

If the casting is broken there no way of welding it? how did you get around it? all i could see is the aluminum piece is broken of the front cast havent looked that close to see the cast,, sh*t not good.

cheers
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Wed, 30 November 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 08:26

GT, you're getting me excited. Acco make a LOVELY range of office products, everything from whiteboards to pen holders. Imagine a 2JZ in this:

http://www.acco.com/images/products/APOLLOBOONE/large/WBUL44.jpg

It should handle alright too, check out some of the features:

* Unique pyramid design safely holds heavy monitors and equipment
* Rugged table supports heavy loads by redistributing the center of gravity
* All-steel construction handsomely finished in black baked enamel
* 4-outlet UL approved mini surge protector with 25 ft. line cord and cord-winding bracket
* 12’ safety strap, UL certified for construction (item #SBW)
* Heavy-duty, easy-roll 4” casters (two locking) for easy mobility
* Top shelf measures 32”W x 20”D
* Middle and bottom shelves measure 32”W x 27”D
* Cable hole in middle and top shelves to keep cords organized

Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah man it's a bitch when the plastic conenctors are broken! near impossible to get new ones, usually need to chase down another loom!

Does the alt bracket bolt off? get another one? My 3sge alt bracket which also serves an an engine hook clean broke aswell, very brittle stuff.

Compression sounds pretty healthy to me.

Be worth noting where the oil is leaking from, could be something dinky like a loose nut not clamping a seal down enuf, or something more major like a main engine seal.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem with my alternator mount on my 1Jizm being snapped when I got my motor, had to change the water pump to at least get one full hole to hold the bastard in place...

the bottom one is still not complete...will repair it tho now the engine is not located in the bay...

2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

yeah hate when plugs just break, the whole thing of me buying the half cut was to have everything complete...

How are you going to mount your alternator? i have really looked yet i was thinking of making some braket up if i dont send the engine back today,,, shouldnt be to hard put super chagers on the side of blocks before Smile

Just rang ici in sydney they said they have a 2jzgte with about 180psi and some pistons are getting 200psi (20psi differ no to good) but they say they use a big battery,, he was saying if you where to use a normal battery about 160 to 175psi. so mines not to bad of a normal battery.

where can i get one of those tv's acco Smile

cheers
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can weld cast iron back up its not too big a deal.
Especially if the part that broke doesn't hold any real weight and the damaged part doesn't get into any water / oil galleries or into the bores.
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to sure where it is but do you wanna apply heat to the block. what type of welding where you thinking of? you can crack cast easy as, if not done right.

cheers

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 00:40]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Thu, 01 December 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regards to the welding of the cast...

borrow a tig, reweld the case, even if its dodgey and then mount the alternator and belt and brace the shit out of it so it doesnt have to rely on the cast to hold it in place
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Fri, 02 December 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've heard, rewelding cast requires almost an Oxy type weld, using cast as the rod.

Not sure if TIG will work, personally can't weld to save my life.
Just what I've heard from peeps in the business.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Fri, 02 December 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WRT the 2J leaks, you really need to find out where it is leaking from.

If it's leaking around the cam covers then don't worry about it - I've seen a few 2J's leaking from there. Get some new gaskets and replace, then torque up properly. If you do that, it's also a good idea to get new widgets - little UFO-shaped thingies that go under the cam cover bolts. They have rubber in them and tend to fall apart with age.

If it's leaking from somewhere like the front/rear main then you may be a little concerned, but again, it's nothing a set of seals can't fix. It just may be a sign of a motor that has had a hard life.
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Fri, 02 December 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh,

ill be playing with the enigine today to see how bad it is,yes the cams cover where loose but also the front crank seal is leaking oil dont thnk the engine is that old with 180psi comp. where can you get th rubbers for the cam covers? also know any where you can get the electrical plugs for the coils?

cheers....

will let you guys know the wreckers name so you guys dont deal with them, they just dont tell the truth, still have to get my parts of them before i flame. F*ck ............. Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Fri, 02 December 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castle Hill Toyota can cater to just about all your import spare-parts needs. That was where I got all mine from. A fair bit more expensive than non-genuine parts, but if you like to do everything properly then you can't go wrong there.

Plugs for coils will be a lot trickier. Sideshow is a bit of a wizzard when it comes to that sort of thing - he made up a few plugs for me when some of mine busted. He's not the cheapest out there, but again, you get what you pay for.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Fri, 02 December 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt you check out the half cut before you purchased it? and with the oil leaks, most engines leak atleast some oil, you would be stupid not to change all the usual seals while you had it out of the car anyway.
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sat, 03 December 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can weld to cast with an arc welded. just use high nickel rods.
i've never seen the braket your talking about but is there anyway you could drill/tap some small holes and screw it back on?
Hope this helps!
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sat, 03 December 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers all,

nah didnt get a chance to see the engine only what they told me like new! they said.. yeah allways change oil seals before putting the engine back Smile

My project has sort of on hold for abit, im selling my E36 BMW and going to buy a newer shape E46. I luv BMW the last one i did was a E30 with a sr20det. i posted some for sale pic's here a while back but in the time that im selling my car i will slowly do the engine up, i found the turbo i want Garrett GT350R 700hp for $1500 new so ill get that etc.. found manifold for a 2jzgte for $250 ... cant wait..... ill have to post some pic's Smile

Im going to try to fire up the half cut tomoro.....

P.S if anyone wants to buy a BMW E36 let me know, it is the pic im using for my profile. savo@onzone.com.au

cheers.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 December 2005 05:03]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sat, 03 December 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure u can put a 2JZ in a E46, age wise i mean
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sat, 03 December 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont think there would be a problem here in canberra? i have rang the RTA about the e36 they said its all up to the engineer so i thought same thing with e46? (emissions??)

cheers

[Updated on: Sat, 03 December 2005 10:48]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sat, 03 December 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just do the homework first, make absolutely dead sure
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Sun, 11 December 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh... another japanese-engine-into-euro-vehicle guy ;) mine's a w201 mercedes, although with a 1jz and w58.

Lucky for me, no age problem, 1985 with a ~1991 jzx81 engine. (wish I could get the year determined via the engine number)

It's pretty much finished, just need to get engineer to sign off on it (and probably bitch about a few things) and she's all done.

Wreckers are all dodgy these days. (Perth wreckers == overpriced and dodgy to the max). Even the one I dealt with, he didn't want to answer questions ("what else is included with the engine besides what you listed?" - just parrot reply), but he keeps quality shit (dealt with him before). Luckily for me, my engine was in top notch condition, albeit incomplete (no psp, cut loom, no ecu) but for a nice price. He wanted 1500$ extra for the missing parts! toymods to the rescue for that. Atleast the loom will come in handy for replacement plugs.

Oh well... Good luck on your project. It's much easier to do without a steering box in the way. although at the same time, I did the dump pipes. Even that was a challenge.

-BK.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Mon, 12 December 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ever heard the old addage - you get what u pay for...?

talk about over react....compression tests dont mean shit!!
as long as all cylinders r close, the actual reading is not too important..

ive seen engines that have great compression when tested but no oil pressure and smokey as hell - so get over the compression test as being the be-all-end-all

your worried about 180psi being bad...how accurate is your guage????

imagine being a engine importer/wrecker, getting all sorts of "expert" customers complaining because compression readings on their highly calibrated equipement shows +/- 5% off "normal"!!!!
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Mon, 12 December 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2J-BMW wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 21:47

dont think there would be a problem here in canberra? i have rang the RTA about the e36 they said its all up to the engineer so i thought same thing with e46? (emissions??)

cheers

So you need to ask an engineer! before you go any further, Ray spence at canberra motor works is the one you need to speek to.
He'll tell you yes or no, do this do that, basically what you need
to know.
But emissions wise, here in canberra you'll need to keep all the original pollution control, or what you can off your car.
If you car's got a charcoal canister you keep that, cat converter?
you'll need one,
For example 2jz in a pre 86 vehicle probably wont require a cat(depending if car originally had cat)
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Mon, 12 December 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overreact??? come on man wake up, if you read the thread its more about a broken alternator, broken iron cast and alum, and if you read more into it they didnt tell me about this, as far as the wrecker go's they are a bunch of F*cks, i have done many converstions and this is the worst wrecker i have delt with. the only reason its worth keeping is the compression!

bandit i use john wilson as my engineer his known to be good Smile (but if rays cheaper i might have to give him a call) ill just use the standard charcoal of the old engine these should be enough but ill keep the aristo just in case. I started work on sunday started it up ran ok and its about to come out of the half cut. just locating my garrett gt35r and power fc now, all fun!

cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 05:48]

beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Mon, 12 December 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll be fine using the original charcoal canister, but yeah keep spare just incase Wink

John wilson?, is he in fyshwick?
You might wanna speak to uncle ray, but to be honest the only engineer in canberra ive dealt with is ray, and every body i know who has had work or certificates done through ray have had not a single
complaint(well justified complaint anyways).
Dont ever even speak to anyone at marlock engineering(queenbeyan)

Nice work dude, hope it all goes smoothies Very Happy
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 2JZGTE arrived today - Ran compression test? (bad wrecker) Mon, 12 December 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
cheers dude, qyn he he i know not to ring them up. not to sure if john has a shop i have been to his house to get the old sr20det bmw ticked off.

should be alittle pocket rocket only wanting 360 to 380rwks. Very Happy

cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jdm ae86 front brake calipers
Next Topic:best cam for 4agze???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:31:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010256052017212 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.