Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Installing Bushes. *RA23* Sat, 03 December 2005 04:35 Go to next message
okay, well i figured, i cant ruin my own thread on the difference between polyurethane and rubber bushes, so im starting another...

**note, this is all into an ra23. i dont know how it will vary on any other car**

so ive got the sway bar link bushes in, very simple, they sit behind the front bar. hold down by 2 bolt. unscrew each and lever the link support off with a screw driver. the bush has a cut down the back so that u can slip it over the sway bar. wipe the bar clean, and the support clean then generously grease the sway bar, and slip the new bush over the top. replace the support and screw firmly.
once the car has full load on the bushes, then u screw tightly. and again a week after, u shud prolly double check to make sure they are firm...

now, ive gotten stuck with the front sway bar mounts, because i think im going to need a press to get these done.
wen it comes to the radius arms im stuck cause im not 100% which bushes they are, and i dont want to start unscrewing things untill i find the right one.
and again with the rear upper/lower control arms, two packets, each with 8 bushes assembled. i can only find 12 places to put new bushes on the rear.

can anyone clear up the last bits, or if u could give me a link to a site that explains would also be very useful as im having no luck...

remember, pictures paint a thousand words. so if anyone has pics of there own work, would be greatly appreciated...

cheers,
jason
  Send a private message to this user    
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Installing Bushes. *RA23* Sat, 03 December 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay. i worked out the upper/lower control arms. but im yet to do them.

im trying to do the front sway bar mount bushes still...
but im having a hell of a time trying to get them all on, and get the screw on. we are strugling to squeeze the bushes down enough so that we can get the washer and bolt on ever the top. anyone know how to solve this?
*also, do i use grease on these mounts? or not. its a bit missleading cause every packet of bushes came with a sachet of grease except the bag with the sway bar mount bushes...

any help here?
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Installing Bushes. *RA23* Sat, 03 December 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When your putting in the new bushes get a bolt that about 1 cm longer for both sides, you really need these with a thicker anti roll bar. Make sure their high tensile steel though, stamped 8.8. These made my fitting a lot easier.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Installing Bushes. *RA23* Sat, 03 December 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i ended up getting the front ones on. it was pretty tuff, but it worked out in the end.

i used one of those sorta plier things, that u can adjust at the X member to determine how wide the jaws will open. but this one was bigger than ur average, so its prolly not the best solution...

with that i pinched down on the sway bar and the point where the bolt passes through. i finished assembling the top half of the set up and screwed the nut on, only about 2-3 spins. jus did it as much as i could whilst my mate held down hard on the grip thingies Razz

anyone planning on doing this themselves, save urself alot of time and make note of the order the bushes and washers go on Razz if i had actually thought for more then .5 of a second i prolly woulda saved about 20mins Razz ahahaha

for the front raduis rod bushes, u gotta snap the tension of the back nut by bout half a twist, then remove the front bolt.
u also have to remove the two small bolts that connect u to the ?hub?... remove the entire arm and grease and re assemble the bushes in the correct order!
try to put the rear bolt back to exactly where u unscrewed it from so not to throw ur allignment out by to much..

for the rears, as far as i can tell, i need to have them all pressed out, and then i can simply slip the new parts in...

im yet to do the rear but will get that undone tomorrow and redone monday...

i will get pics up for ppl to check out later on..

jason
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Installing Bushes. *RA23* Sun, 04 December 2005 00:57 Go to previous message
when i was doing my sway bar in the ra40 i grabbed an mx62 sway bar (thanks brett_celicacoupe) and mx62 sway bar link bushes.
but in order to install the sway bar i had to remove the struts and i think what you write as the radius rod (the bar that is about 18mm diamater that connects to the arm that goes to the strut)
with this all disconnected i found that i had to mount the sway bar (using the ra40 sway bar mount bushes rather than mx62) first with the radius rod loosely in place.
this was also while compressing the arms to normal ride hight with some jacks (as the strut wasn't on nor were the tyres). and a LOOOOONG bar somehow wedged in to a point to push the sway bar down more to get more bite for the screw.
if i was to do it again i would have just grabbed the bolt from the mx62 used the majority or ra40 bushes except for either side of the swaybar which i would have used mx62 bushes. that way combined witht the extra length of the mx62 bolt and the slightly smaller ra40 bushes combined with 2 mx62 bushes, should have made that damn nut slightlly easier.
a second person was also required throughout this exercise.
after reasonable cussing and cursing, I managed to get both sides on, retighten the radius rods and then put the struts back in.
and in all that the steering was quite good, but it still needs to be aligned.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE with 271degree 8.1mm lift cams, standard computer. Anybody done this??
Next Topic:Gearbox service
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:26:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048120021820068 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.