Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
starter motor issues Sun, 04 December 2005 23:18 Go to next message
think this topic might have been covered but:

on my 3s-ge sometimes the starter motor wont actually start, and i've found that its normally after long drives. i think whats causeing this is the fact that the starter motor is burningly hot, as the car seams to start perfectly in the morning when the car is cold.
any idea's on how to keep it colder, i do have an exhaust leak could that be pounding heaps of hot air onto the starter motor??

but if i jump start, it seams to start fine. already replaced starter motor once (with one from a wreakers) any other suggestions on what might be causing this?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: starter motor issues Mon, 05 December 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And your car is?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: starter motor issues Mon, 05 December 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
88 celica with a 3s-ge
pluto55
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: starter motor issues Tue, 06 December 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man don't know much about these motors but have you spoken to an auto-elect?

To me this sounds like a very typical starter motor problem.. usually common on corollas and coronas too both that Ive experienced anyways..

Does it just Click when you turn the key? if yer it so Evil or Very Mad f@&#ing annoy --yer I know my sisters corona use to do it,, so i must ask this common question Surprised ? DO YOU HAVE A RELAY ON IT???
if yes I'm stumped Embarassed or Laughing .. Get an auto-elect to fit one up this should fix the problem... hopefully...

This does work coz it does my sisters corona use to do it but not any more... it was especially more common to happen on a hot day ..

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 11:32]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: starter motor issues Tue, 06 December 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had this on really hot days last year a 100kw 4AGE and ended up using the starter solenoid wire to trigger a relay between the battery and the starter solenoid. No trouble whatsoever since.
leso
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: starter motor issues Tue, 06 December 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hi... first thing i would do is to upgrade the size of your cables from your battery to your starter..as well as the earth cable ..heat causes resistance...and most factory cables are only just enough.. the old sparky from work used to say 99% of electrical problems are bad earths...

cheers LESO
pluto55
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: starter motor issues Tue, 06 December 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leso wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 22:55

the old sparky from work used to say 99% of electrical problems are bad earths...

cheers LESO

My uncle would tell ya the same and it is so true! if its not the relay or a fuse, then it's there some where, only got ta find it,, = Bad earth..

a yer i like the idea of better wires too.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: starter motor issues Tue, 06 December 2005 12:33 Go to previous message
yeah its the dreaded "click" with nothing more.

i remember something about relay's froma while back. what actaully are they? but yeah hot day's or after the engine's run for a bit do seam to kill it.

thanks for the help. uncle is a auto-leco. might give him a call tomorrow
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!!
Next Topic:correct offset for sw20 for 16/17 inch rims?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:45:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054919719696045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.