Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 02:52 Go to next message
Hey Guys! My AE82 Twin cam was playing up on Monday. It was about 30 degrees in the afternoon and I was driving home from work, and the temperature guage was slowly creeping up to the 'redline'. I kept driving for a couple more kay's and it got to the 'redline' and the engine was chugging like a bastard, and pinging alot aswell.
I pulled over and turned the car off. I then waited for about 10 minutes and then went to take off the radiator cap. I took it off and it was full of coolant. I checked the oil next and it was just above the empty line, so that is why it was overheating. ( My own damn stupid fault for not checking the oil level Confused ).
I put new oil in it and it seemed to drive ok on Tuesday and on Wednesday when I started it up, it sounded like a WRX with an exhaust (running on 2-3 cylinders).
- Plugs are ok, with a slight white/grey tinge to them.
- I have only just started loosing a bit of coolant, but I have no leaks at all and my thermostat and water pump are brand new.
- There is no steam/smoke coming out of the exhaust at all, when the car is hot or cold.
- There is no water in the bores looking through the spark plug holes, and there is no oil in the radiator or water in the sump.
- There is a slight amount of white/yellow gunk under the oil cap though.
- All the electris are fine aswell.

I am thinking that my head gasket has blown between cylinders, but only minute, which might be causing my "running on 2-3 cylinders/WRX" sound.
Any ideas anyone???????
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a dry compression test then if 1 or 2 of the cylinders read low squirt some oil in and do a wet test to see if the results improve if they do its the headgasket.

Is the water in the radiator a bit milky kinda colour???

Have you checked the timing could be that the timing is too far advanced that it started to ping possibly too far retarded so its running like a pig. Happend to me that the bolt for the distributer came out (dont ask me how Shocked) and the timing went all over the place while driving it would splutter and backfire needless to say i got out and fixed it quick smart
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, the water in the radiator is still the normal coolant colout, with NO trace of oil at all.
I havent checked the timing lately, but will check it tonite and see if anything has changed.
The thing is is that I didnt run the engine all the way to over heat on the guage, to really, it should be ok with a bit of cooling down and some new oil. Oh and I forgot to mention that I put a bit too much oil in when I filled it up (my stupid fault again) and it started chugging at idle, do I drained it out again and refilled it properly.
Also, the engine has done 270,000km but still pulls very strong when you put your foot down. Hmmm.....Im stumped.
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nos4ag wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 15:37

do I drained it out again and refilled it properly.

Before we go further, is this a question or have you already drained
and refilled?

If its still over full well drain and refill!
mr2gze
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 11:56

do a dry compression test then if 1 or 2 of the cylinders read low squirt some oil in and do a wet test to see if the results improve if they do its the headgasket.

If you mean oil down the spark plug holes, that doesnt have much to do with the headgasket. But rather how well the rings are sealing...

nos4ag a leak down test might be a good idea.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it fails a comp test with oil down there that would suggest rings OR head gasket to me...

Since there is no smoke, failing a wet test would suggest BHG - not into the water jacket... Had that on an alpha 1.5 (excel Laughing ) before.

BUT, the excel did start to lose coolant a couple of weeks after the oil started strangely disappearing. I guess it warped more. Also it did not lose that much compression that it ran shit (read: shitter).

It sounds strongly like rings on a cylinder or two, but wheres the smoke?
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, it was suppose to say "so I drained it out and refilled it properly". My bad Razz
UPDATE!!!!
I started the car when I got home this afternoon, and it still sounded like a WRX. I reved it to about 3 grand for about 10-20 second on and off and then the WRX sound (running on 2-3 cylinders) went away. I took the radiator cap off and watched some small bubbles rise as I topped it up slightly. When the car was HOT, there were absolutely NO bubbles coming out the radiator whatsoever!!!
The top radiator hose was warm but still spongy to grab, but the lower radiator hose was hot and very solid. In other words, I couldnt squeeze it. This hose goes to the thermostat housing. Then......This is the wierd bit!! The car was still running, and then it started going from 1000rpm to 2500rpm and then back to 1000rpm again and so forth and wouldnt stop. I have always taken the thermo fan switch off in all my Twin Cam's with no problem. As soon as I connected the switch back up again, the car idled fine and the temperature guage stayed just under halfway after being run for about 15 minutes.
- Shall I check the thermostat?
- There was a small amount of smoke/steam/water coming out of the exhaust, but Im not still not losing any water out the radiator.
- There is NO oil in the water, and there is still NO water in the oil aswell.
What next guys????????
JZX-83T
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck aye, had the same problem with my ae82 when i had it. Driving one day and it started sounding like a wrx at low revs, ie at idle and take off, anything after bout 2500 3000 rpm it went away. Sounded quite funny taking of at lights Laughing
Then started to have a over heating problem with all the symptoms you have discribed.

Checked the oil and alais it was empty, well very close.
Filled it up and wrx noise went away but overheating probs stayed. Had no oil in radiator or water in oil but had steam out the exhaust.

Long story short ended up i had cracked the head between a cylinder and a water jacket, coolant was getting into the cylinder and burning which meant i had to keep topping up the radiator, and exhaust was getting into the cooling system causing it to boil and get airlocks and the ghey rev at idle.

Chucked a bottle of chemiweld in and it fixed the problems.
Drove around for a good 5000kms untill i did the 100kw conversion

hope it helps
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that man, I bought 2 bottles of "CarGo Metallic Seal Up" yesterday from work, so I will pour one of them in to get me by for the time being.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!? Thu, 08 December 2005 21:47 Go to previous message
mr2gze wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 18:23

4agte wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 11:56

If you mean oil down the spark plug holes, that doesnt have much to do with the headgasket. But rather how well the rings are sealing...

nos4ag a leak down test might be a good idea.

sorry my bad your right got it the wrong way round
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gen2 3SGE unstable idling.
Next Topic:20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:07:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052878856658936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.