Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Just bought an RA65 Fri, 09 December 2005 04:10 Go to next message
Not knowing a huge amount about modifying cars, I'd like to know what people believe is the order of upgrades that should be put into this girl.

Cheers,
Evyn Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA65 Fri, 09 December 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if you knew me way back then Evyn, but the RA65 has a nice big truck motor in it (the 22R-E). I had a pod filter & exhaust on mine, and apart from making pretty noises it didn't really make a huge difference.
I take it you're looking for a relatively cheap upgrade? (ie: not engine conversion territory), so you can really take your pick!
Not very helpful I know, but I sold my RA65 for an MA61 for a reason Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA65 Fri, 09 December 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps: shame you crashed the ST204... I quite liked that little car (for all that it was a hairdressers car) Smile
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Just bought an RA65 Fri, 09 December 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 15:16

ps: shame you crashed the ST204... I quite liked that little car (for all that it was a hairdressers car) Smile

I don't think it can really be called a hairdressers car when it was YOU took it on a test run before I bought it. Not to mention the first thing you did with it when driving it back was dropped a burnout on parramatta road Razz

Doesn't matter though, i'm going to repair the ST204 over the coming months, put it back together and... decide where to go from there. I still love my 204 to bits and this RA65 will be good fun in the meantime.

I'm looking for any recommended cheap upgrades that will make a good difference. An exhaust, pod filter, suspension upgrades or any upgrades that people can recommend that would be good for the car.

On a side note (also amusing) the number plate on the car is ZIL-546, reverse the front letters and laugh at that coinkinkydink!

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2005 04:43]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just bought an RA65 Sat, 10 December 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 22R-E is a solid reliable workhorse, but a performance engine it ain't. I wouldn't spend much money trying to squeeze a few more hp out of it, because you could end up spending several thousand dollars and still have a car that won't keep up with a clapped-out VN Commodore.

If it was me I'd put a decent exhaust on it and leave it there for engine upgrades. Beyond that, chassis upgrades are the way to go for grin factor. Lower, harder springs, good quality shocks, strut braces, about 3 degrees camber in the front (you'll need camber plates) and 1.5 degrees in the rear (you'll need camber pins), and of course you'll want some decent rubber preferably on a set of larger rims. Do all of that and you'll have a car that will put a huge grin on your face belting through a good mountain road. Smile

And after you've done all that, throw the truck motor away and do an engine conversion. Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA65 Sat, 10 December 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the brakes and suspension - these cars lend themselves to it too easily to leave them alone. Plus they're a nicer drive than an MA61 *hides in bomb shelter*
Then, at the very lest, stick in a 1G.
azmodai
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Just bought an RA65 Sat, 10 December 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the responses guys. I definitely think suspension and brakes are the go, and when I have more money, pulling out the enginge and putting a 1g-gte into it sounds like a plan.

That and pulling out the silly automatic gearbox, and putting a nice 5 speed gearbox into it is definitely in order. Smile
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Just bought an RA65 Sat, 10 December 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 21:37

Do the brakes and suspension - these cars lend themselves to it too easily to leave them alone. Plus they're a nicer drive than an MA61 *hides in bomb shelter*

hah, you're not half wrong...
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Just bought an RA65 Sat, 10 December 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 11:57

The 22R-E is a solid reliable workhorse, but a performance engine it ain't. I wouldn't spend much money trying to squeeze a few more hp out of it, because you could end up spending several thousand dollars and still have a car that won't keep up with a clapped-out VN Commodore.

Norbie wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 11:57

And after you've done all that, throw the truck motor away and do an engine conversion. Very Happy

Yeah, put an 18rg in it and spend several thousands on that.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Just bought an RA65 Sun, 11 December 2005 01:10 Go to previous message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Sun, 11 December 2005 00:38

mrshin wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 21:37

hah, you're not half wrong...

Oh, how I hate you James.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14
Next Topic:7MGTE - drivabliity probs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 22:14:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052528381347656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar