Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Sun, 11 December 2005 04:37 Go to next message
Just a question out to any techs that work for toyota,

I take it the fuel filter is situated inside the fuel tank, to replace the fuel filter do you drop the tank from the vehicle or access it via removing the rear seat? also do you require any special Toyota tools to perform the task?

cheers GIN51E
  Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Sun, 11 December 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't give u a definete answer, but i would of thought the fuel filter is external to the tank, there usually is a fule filter which is in a place thats easier to replace, and also a mesh microfilter on the actual fuel pump within the tank. Thought i'd mention it incase it saves you the hassle of dropping the tank.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Sun, 11 December 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota did this on my camry as part of the 75k service recently, they definately specified both an in-tank & external filter to be changed.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Sun, 11 December 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Sun, 11 December 2005 22:06

i can't give u a definete answer, but i would of thought the fuel filter is external to the tank, there usually is a fule filter which is in a place thats easier to replace, and also a mesh microfilter on the actual fuel pump within the tank. Thought i'd mention it incase it saves you the hassle of dropping the tank.

Most new models are coming out with an intank filter only, such as Subaru, Mazda and Mercedes Benz, i can't speak for the rest as i don't see them,

The question is actually directed towards a tech in regards to how you replace them, as i do not wish to remove the rear seat to find i actually have to remove the tank or vice versa.

and i'm not sure if Toyota is like Mercedes where its near impossible to replace it yourself without the "special" tools that the car maker provides.

Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Mon, 12 December 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate,
you dont need any "special tools" just 2 spanners i think off memory and a 10mm socket on a quarter drive ratchet and a pair of long nose pliers. off memory so i could be wrong. i havent replaced any of these in a while ok. if i end up getting one this week i will tell you exactly how to do it and what tools you need. ok mate.
or would you rather me hit the tech files on the cpu 2moro and print em off for you and post em up?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Mon, 12 December 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the MCV20R Camry (previous model) I know they have 2 fuel filters. One in the tank and one in the engine bay.

In the sedan the in-tank pump is not that hard. The seat base just pulls up, (give it a good yank at the front on either side) sit this on top of the car. Pull the carpet back, and pull the steel cover plate away, which will be stuck with black sticky stuff. Unclip the electric plug. Use a 14mm and 19mm pipe spanner to undo the fuel union (with a rag over it at first). Use a 8mm socket and ratchet to undo the bolts on the fuel tank. Lift the fuel pump assembly out onto a bench. Use a phillips screwdriver to undo the fuel filter and the little earth wire. Then put the new one on, being carefull to save the O ring in the old filter. Then do the reverse, but wash hands before fitting the seat. I usualy find about $1.20 when doing this so get a Coke from the machine at the same time. Some people say if you hit the Coke button lots of times you will get 2 cans, I always only get one.

With the wagon, the seats fold away and its a bit more tricky to get the carpet back so some bolts have to come out sometimes.

I have done a few new Camrys, MCV36R-DEPDKQ, and I think they are the same. With the new RAV4 you don't need tools to undo the fuel fitting. Its just a O ring and a clip, and the whole assembly comes out after unscrewing the big plastic nut thing with SST or multigrips, so some new cars will be more like that.

I have never heard of removing the tank to change the filter, you always get it from up top from the access hole under the carpet.

It is posiable that some new Camrys only have a in-tank and not a engine bay filter, but I think they still have both.

For this info I get $16.26/hr plus 4 weeks A/L. I will have to charge overtime rates to anyone who reads this, PM me for details. Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 07:48]

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo Mon, 12 December 2005 10:24 Go to previous message
Thanks guys, no need to tell me the specific tools, got everything i need. just wasn't sure if toyota had some special tool that you required to do the job like Mercedes Does.

I picked up the filters today, both are in tank, one is the main filter the second filter is just a sock type filter to prevent sludge and large items from getting picked up, no need to replace unless you have had bad fuel etc. although its only $15 and its in the service book and to keep the warranty up to scratch i'll replace it anyway. All i needed to know was how to access it, i'll take it that its under the seat, but if its not and i have to drop the tank then there will be trouble Mad Razz

Thanks guys.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:really quick one... RE GA70 slave cyclinder
Next Topic:1g-gte without turbos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:02:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047121047973633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.