Toymods » General Car Talk » GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jamier
Regular

February 2005
GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 07:08 Go to next message
I have a st165 GT FOUR. ..bought it a little over priced, but fuck it, got the car. Will be rebuilding the engine and basically the whole car in the future . ....

What would you do?.....

I wouldnt mind some feed back, I am in two minds.

Keep the original stuff, rebuild the car as it was in 88 to keep its heritage ( you could say )

OR

Fill the engine bay with after market goodies, FMIC ....blar blar........

The body is not going to be altered in any way, I have decided that.....keeping the front end original will hide the FMIC behind it if i do go that way.........

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 07:09]

Send a private message to this user    
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good on you for taking up the challenge.
i'd suggest ditching the GEN1 3SGTE,and replacing it with either of the later 3SGTE motors.

good luck with it all, and post some pictures for us all to see.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much money are we talking about here?
Jamier
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, ..It would be easier to access the 2.2 litre engine, and I can rebuild that without having to have the car off the road. It will be a long journey, I aint made of money. I will post some pics of it as it comes along.

I was leaning toward the better engine. Seems like a better way to go, ..I can maintain the car as is now, and slowly rebuild until it is ready. No doubt it will cost a bit, but over time it is no different to a large loan repayment...

I use to own a st162, rebuilt that engine as standard, ...not keen on the idea of turbo on the front wheels myself.....New kettle of fish this one. ....

There are pics of the car on this site, ..I brought it thru here, ..... its a grey one, ...was on sale for 5k a few months back now.....have a look. ....It will need a paint as well as some interior work........will keep you posted on its progress, ...It wont be done in a one year thou...Long term project unless I win the lottery.
Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 10:23]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2.2 litre motor..the 5sfe is a motor designed for the later generations of run around shitcan celicas, the motor makes fuck all power and is designed for economy not performance...that will be a down grade majorly..as it pulled a much lighter car than the 165 around alot SLOWER...the later gtfours were still 2.O litre, they just had later generations of the 3sgte in them, as far as my 165 goes i am running 12 psi on stock internals, and i have done sfa apart from a pod filter ect, and i am more than happy with the results. at one stage i wanted to keep it all origional genuine parts...but then when i started getting prices for parts from toyota...i decided that wasnt going to be the case at all... near $8OO for a radiator fan motor alone, if u really want to get alot more go out of it, try and get the 3rd or 4th generation of 3sgte and cram that in there...in a couple of years i hope to get my hands on a 4th generation 3sgte and squeeze it in..cheers
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 1st gen motor in my 162, running 14 psi with turbo work rebuilt and highflowed and headwork like headgasket and stuff, and its pretty quick, but yhe if u can get a3rd gen motor id go for that, but i wouldnt bother for a 2nd gen
have a good one
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Mon, 12 December 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id go a 2nd gen 3sgte and put a front mount on it. Good bang for buck there. Also it's easier to find gen 2 3sgte's than any other.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT FOUR ST165. Aftermarket or Original Tue, 13 December 2005 04:04 Go to previous message
way too hard to keep all things orginal unless u can source a donor car.

for the moment id suggest getting a pod filter, exhaust, and boost controller. that should keep u happy whilst u have an engine on the side beeing rebuilt. ive just put a pod on and thats it, and there is quite a big difference from my old filter. and it makes much more turbo noise Smile lol. at least have u beating commonwhores with ease.

definetly try and get a gen3 3sgte, but they are SERIOUSLY rare!

i wouldnt go into a gen2 engine, unless u bought the engine first, rebuilt it to higher specs and then dropped it in. its not worth the cost of a gen2 swap, only another 15-20 odd kw.

to swap an engine in u are looking at about 1500-2000$ walk in walk out, plus the cost of ur new engine or halfcut.

on the other hand if u wait out for a gen3 to come along and want to do things in the meantime, id reckomend some sort of whiteline package, and a break upgrade.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:post your best drift pics!!!
Next Topic:Body kit design program.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:30:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057110786437988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.