Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST184 Celica comments???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grob
Occasional Poster

February 2003
ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 01:14 Go to next message
I'm soon to buy a 90-93 ST184 Celica, just a matter of finding the right one. before I do that can anyone, especially those who own one, give me any feedback on these cars... is the 5S-FE motor reliable and perform well for what it is? Are parts cheap and readily available? What general / common problems do the ST184 have? etc. etc.

cheers guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as i know - the st184 is a pretty reliable piece of machinery - parts are pretty easy to get too

How much are you paying for the machine ?

Just as an example - im picking up ( hopefully ) a st185 Gt4 - for a shade over 11 thosand dollars - and overall they are a much better car to play with as a project basis

if your a young fella - insurance may bite a bit though - but otherwise for 11 K - its a great bargain for a beasty to play with

and NOTHING beats AWD grip - 3sgte's are your GOD Wink
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as a performance point of view

5S-FE with auto box <-- VERY uninspiring and slower than the equivalent 5S-FE camry for some reason

5S-FE with manual box <-- little better than the auto but still kinda poor

3S-GE with manual box <-- pick of the N/A bunch, great engine and will respond well to mods also

3S-GTE oohh baby <-- what more can i say Laughing

not much technical info there but i hope this helps
Grob
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm definetely after a ST184 as I have just sold my 180sx and don't want a turboed car anymore... i'm way too much of a lead foot with them and on the edge of losing my license, something which I really couldn't afford to do with my lifestyle! My mate has got an ST185 GT4 and ive been in it... it goes ok... ive test drived some ST184's... and they go ok, just fine for my lead foot problem! The average price has been around $8000. I really like the look of the ST184 as well. So as long as they are reliable and un-expsenive to reapair im happy!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What makes you think that buying another car will stop you being a leadfoot?
Grob
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why? ... because for a month I had to drive my mum's slow ass corolla and I drove it like a granny, as I knew the limitations of the car so I didn't bother thrashing it. Where as with a 180sx I know it can fly so I'm always giving a bit... I personally can' drive a turbo car like it's a slow corolla... i'm a adrenalin junky and can't resist kinking the turbo in at 3000 revs!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you just need to control yourself a bit better

a SX st184 will still go fast - and if you like usiing the loud pedal well - regardless in what car your in youll get caught

if you want slow - them but a corona with the starfire camira motor in it - they will keep you well under the speed limit - or a Diesel SR5 hilux .. Upthat hill in adelaide - toward mt barker - my friends barely managed 60kmh ..

Or buy a bicycle!

IMHO - if you want a car - any car - you got to be good in it or else youll become a statistic or just poor ..

celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a forklift or a scooter
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the '93 celica sx goes okay..nothing special.
do something with the air filter at least..the bloody thing can't breath at high revs. but only get it if you don't have a problem with less powered cars beating you!

the motor is not bad, and easily takes a good beating.
Turning circle is huge though..like a large family sedan sized turning circle. 11m to be exact (about same as a commodore's)
The steering gets bumped around a lot from bumps in the road..not sure what the technical term is for this..bump steer?

Sometimes some of the aircon buttons, and other buttons in that area, stuff up..the plastic bits break or melt or the little lights stop working.

that's about all i can think of for now..good luck!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Sat, 15 February 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne - rule out the forklift - those things - especially the LPG ones have plenty of stick - i drive one at work now and then - their balls of fun !!

ours has a worked siggy motor in it ( lol )
CeLiCa
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST184 Celica comments??? Sat, 15 February 2003 22:24 Go to previous message
Ive have an ST184 coupe for around 2 years now and they are great cars. Very reliable, take a beating and have ok performance. A replacement air filter and better flowing exhaust will give you a bit more at the top end where the car lacks. I got bored of the performance so i got myself a GRP A Rally GT4 front cut from Japan which cost me under $2000 after i sold off the parts i didnt need. Put it in myself and now the car has 170kw as opposed to the stock 100kw. Since it weights 250-300kg less than a GT4, this thing flies. Also the GRP A front bar and bonnet looks pimp on the car.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5S-FE fuel economy?
Next Topic:4AGE - Air Fuel Mixture
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 15:17:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044779777526855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.